Forums

Help › Forums

Does Wind Affect Putts In Any Way?

Sat, Jul 27 2019 4:06 AM (31 replies)
  • Chrynch
    568 Posts
    Wed, Jan 30 2019 2:26 PM

I'm looking for a definitive answer, hopefully from WGT or someone who knows for sure.  I have had this argument for years with a member of my Country Club. I say wind does not affect putts in any way and that wind is not part of the programming for putts. Can we please put this issue to rest with a definitive answer? 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Wed, Jan 30 2019 4:28 PM

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Wed, Jan 30 2019 4:28 PM

Hi,

Check out this Thread & the posts by fmagnets, Tis good enough for me

(Can cause It to come up 8 Ft short or converesley go long by 8 Ft)

552560.aspx?PageIndex=4

Ken

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, Jan 30 2019 6:58 PM

Chrynch:

I'm looking for a definitive answer, hopefully from WGT or someone who knows for sure.  I have had this argument for years with a member of my Country Club. I say wind does not effect putts in any way and that wind is not part of the programming for putts. Can we please put this issue to rest with a definitive answer? 

Definitively yes.  WGT will not say if or how but experience says yes - noticeably if high wind and long putt.  And St Andys is a good place for both of those!

• XsleightofhandX
    600 Posts
    Wed, Jan 30 2019 8:32 PM

yepper it sure does, esp on andys or st georges

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Wed, Jan 30 2019 8:39 PM

By the way, I just want to say kudos to icon for knowing the difference between "affect" and "effect."

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Jan 30 2019 9:45 PM

Sure, and as shown and demonstrated w/ the putter test thread it will move the ball.

But from experience, I don't totally espouse to the 'only a little' or 'only in higher wind' mindset..

because when the ball is JUST SLIGHTLY OFF LINE, the result is many times a LIP OUT just because of this minuscule deviation. 

So, even a moderate wind or a slight wind at the 'compass points' (especially a perpendicular wind) will have enough of an affect to cause a lip out.

Natch, the short putts ..not so much to worry about.  

But many people who have complained about the high incident of lip outs haven't realized that it was the slight push of the WIND all along!

I've even heard experts, and some streamers , just conclude that they 'misread a middle line or dots' or some other interpretation, which was incorrect. Then I look up and see a moderate side wind from exact LEFT which obviously nudged the ball off line. 

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Jan 31 2019 5:14 AM

Really depends on what you had last night, beer and a curry, you could be squeezing cheeks together trying to concentrate.

Oh sorry WGT putts....I dont know!!

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Jan 31 2019 10:23 AM

ive had this argument with people for a couple years. I say it does. too many long putts that come up a few feet short that shouldn't when putting into head winds or run long when putting with tail.

You have to start getting over 30 feet before you worry about a foot tho.

But let's say you get a 60 foot putt into a 30 mph headwind I'm adding another 3 feet to my putt. 

Feel putters won't see the difference. but if you have the math down precisely on putting you will see it happen on the long putts.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 31 2019 10:42 AM

Mythanatos:
    Feel putters won't see the difference

I'm a feel putter and don't actually see it BUT it does affect my thinking on the putts. On downhill putts that are fast to begin with and I have wind from behind me, I know the roll is going to want to keep going because of it. Conversely, on an uphill putt into a wind I might give the putt a little more because I know it's going to want to slow down and the wind will help that happen.

I learned from the putting CTTH that wind definitely affects long putts. 

RSS