Help › Forums

Win Erx03

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jan 27 2019 10:03 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2019 9:20 PM

Since a couple of weeks or so, I've been getting this warning popup named Win Erx03 when I visit and wander around my profile page.

It doesn't happen all the time but occasionally, and it isn't really a popup, rather the profile page moves on to this fake system warning site automatically.

Every time it happens, I've got no choice but force-close the browser window from Task Manager as it gets "frozen" and does not respond. (And nope, I never clicked on the YES / Update Confirm button on that fake site.)

Is it something that's only happening to me or has this been reported to WGT CS already?

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2019 7:34 AM

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2019 7:36 AM

I would suggest that you dump the cookies and clear out the cache . Then reload the game . Also make sure that you clear out flash as well .

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2019 10:22 AM

I googled it and it appears to be a new form of malware, possibly a ransomware. (Most of the related threads are very recent.)

My internet browser is set so that it removes all cookies and caches when browser windows are closed. And seemingly only my WGT profile page gets redirected to this fake warning site.

If it persists, I'm thinking about formatting and reinstalling W10.

Thanks for your replies, Don and Lonnie. Very much appreciated!

Simon

↓↓ EDIT: Thanks for the advice, Gary! Cheers. ↓↓

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2019 3:43 PM

Nothing I saw when looking it up, shows anything good about it.  As TS says, it's listed as malware, virus, scam, you name it.

I would advise looking it up and seeing how to remove.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2019 4:11 PM

Run Malawarebytes  and Superantispyware

They both have free programs. Shut off your antivirus while scanning.

When done, you can remove the programs

I could not read the message in the messagebox, so I cant search for the error

Don

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2019 6:09 PM

DonCaron:

Run Malawarebytes  and Superantispyware

They both have free programs. Shut off your antivirus while scanning.

When done, you can remove the programs

I could not read the message in the messagebox, so I cant search for the error

Don

True.  And when the message boxes are in a foreign language (looks like Chinese, but I could certainly be mistaken), it's probably not good!

In my experience these types are mostly "threat" viruses to try and get you to click something that might install more dangerous malware.  Definitely get rid of it.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2019 6:32 PM

DoctorLarry:
    True.  And when the message boxes are in a foreign language (looks like Chinese, but I could certainly be mistaken), it's probably not good!

I think its Korean. It could be important info. I tried clicking it to enlarge, to copy and paste to google translate. It was done as a jpg.image and I cant

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2019 7:23 PM

I did some reading on this and they were saying ads.

Do you use AdBlock? If you don't get it, its probably videos and as long as you don't click something it wont download to you computer.

Here is the link I read: WinErx03

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2019 9:24 PM

DonCaron:

DoctorLarry:

I think its Korean. It could be important info. I tried clicking it to enlarge, to copy and paste to google translate. It was done as a jpg.image and I cant

This is an image I found from Google and it shows the same warning message in English as the one I got in Korean. (The hackers are kind enough to translate their messages in various languages nowadays. How considerate!)

EDIT : I'm not going to insert the image directly here since it might cause some potential copyright issues and also, it might appear as an ad. Here is the LINK instead.

• PAGES
RSS