10,880 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 5:19 PM

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 5:47 PM

TopShelf2010:

maple88:

the green i can get to putting me in a ever losing battle. any sugestions

Without going into extreme detail, the simplest suggestion would be work on (meaning practice) on getting your approach shots closer to the pin.

After a quick glance at your stats, your Average Distance To Pin is 27ft. Putting at any level can be difficult from that distance. If you can knock off, say 10-12ft off your ADP, you will then be at a difficult but manageable distance to start making some putts.

Don

Agree.  I would recommend looking into getting a good intermediate wedge next.  Perhaps a 60 deg wedge from Cleveland (L7 or L29) or a Callaway (L68) depending on budget.  Learning these will let you land closer to the hole often.

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Wed, Jan 30 2019 10:20 PM

maple88:
    the green i can get to putting me in a ever losing battle. any sugestions

I think you will find putting much easier when you understand speed control. When you miss a putt, you want the ball to land a couple of feet from the hole and avoid going from one side of the green all the way to the other side of the green. This can be very frustrating for newer players. The trick is to get a Modified Distance, not the one listed on the display.

Here is a simple formula that will leave the ball a couple feet past the hole in the event that you miss. (Distance +2) * (Green Factor) + Elevation

1. Distance of your putt + 2; Add 2 ft to the distance to get the ball going

2. Multiply by a Green Factor; Green speeds vary for different tiers and tournaments, you have to account for that.

Green Factor Values:

0.65 Champ 13;   0.7 Tourn 12;   0.75 Tourn 11;   0.8 Very Fast 10;   0.9 Fast 9;   1.0 for slower greens

These factors will vary depending on your putter and ball combo. These values should get you fairly close. Don’t be afraid to make adjustments. If you are coming up too short or long make adjustments to the Green Factor.

3. Add for uphill elevation, Subtract for downhill elevation; This is how you account for the slope of the putt. Extreme slopes will require an extra adjustment.

These 3 steps will give you a Modified Distance. This modified distance is the speed you need to hit the putt.

Here are a couple of examples: 10 ft putt, 3 inches uphill, Champ 13 greens

1. 10ft + 2 = 12ft

2. 12ft *.65 = 7.8ft

3. 7.8ft + 3in =10.8ft      Modified distance of 10.8 ft

Here is the same putt with 3 inches downhill instead of uphill

1. 10ft + 2 = 12ft

2. 12ft *.65 = 7.8ft

3. 7.8ft - 3in =4.8ft      Modified distance 4.8 ft

Here is the same putt with 0 elevation

1. 10ft + 2 = 12ft

2. 12ft *.65 = 7.8ft

3. 7.8ft  + 0in = 7.8ft      Modified distance 7.8 ft

Once you have a Modified Distance the final step is to figure out how far back to move the swing meter. If I hit 100% power on the 10 increment on my putter, the ball on a flat green travels 14ft not the 10ft listed on the putter. The distance will vary depending on different green conditions and club-ball combinations.

Some people map out their clubs, some use Avatar Movements (how far back the club moves on your Avatar), some divide by the meter increment, and some play by feel. If you are just starting, easiest is to divide by the putter meter increment.

4. Modified Distance / Putter Increment

Example:

10.8 ft / 15 = 0.72      Hit this putt 72% on the 15 scale

10.8 ft / 20 = 0.54      HIt this putt 54% on the 20 scale

This should leave the putt a reasonable distance from the pin in the event that you miss. Advanced putters often use different speeds. Just passed the hole, putt dies right at the hole, and cramming putts (hitting extra hard to take some break out of the putt).

Here are a couple more beginning speed tips. Look past the hole, the slope may be much larger than you originally anticipated. If you aim a good distance left or right you may have to add extra power to compensate for the extra ball travel. If your putts are lipping out, try hitting with less power. This particular formula will break down with extreme slopes.

Get to know your equipment. If I hit a 50% power on my 15 scale you would think that I could just hit 25% power on the 30 scale; it turns out I have to add 2% on uphill putts on my 30 scale or the putt comes up short. Each putter has its own feel and characteristics. Good Luck!

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
RSS