Forums

Help › Forums

In a Zone

Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:01 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 9:37 AM

I've thought about this a whole lot.  There is no doubt in my mind that I go through periods where almost all the shots I play are correctly figured out and I play beautifully. (In the Zone)  Sadly. there are periods where nothing I do is right.  Approach shots that go much farther than they should or shortish putts where they break much more or less than they should or normally do.

I don't want to sound paranoid but there has to be reason for this.  And if there is a reason, there must be a way to change the trend when it's happening.  Perhaps it is the "Variant"?  But if that is so, it must be put into game by the programmers.  And if this is true then there must be a way to reverse the trends.  These are things I've tried.  Restarting the game client.  Nope.  Restart my WiFi connection.  Nope.  Restart my computer.  Nope.

Any ideas out there?

• Rick6208
    2,136 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 10:44 AM

in our club we called it the JCT Jacob Conspiracy Theory ! where as you described your doing everything the same as normal but its just not working out good at all ! I take a break for a day, sometimes I change balls, and in very Bad cases of JCT I PURCHASE a new Club! 

Most of the time tho , if you just replay the shot in your head , there is always a reason that something went wrong ! missed the Bell a bit, wind blocked by the trees, a skip at the wrong time in the Power Meter bar

So continue on Gerry , it will work itself out !

• VEM9000
    169 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 11:11 AM

Rick6208:
    So continue on Gerry , it will work itself out !

That, and always remember, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean I'm not out to get ya !

Vem :)

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 11:49 AM

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:27 PM

Just like in real golf, the good and the great players will play a hole poorly, miss a short putt etc., but they are able to forget about it and move on to the next, que sera sera, they know they can't alter the past, whilst the average player, myself included, will let it play on our minds, hence affecting the next hole or rest of the round.

As far as vem/variant goes, i don't think of it at all, for me it works both ways, sometimes i think i have hit a perfect approach and it ends up miles away, another i have missed the ding badly and it ends up close, or even in the hole. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:36 PM

It's just life.  I have times just like you describe - some great and some not so great.  The really frustrating ones are where it seems every putt misses by an inch and shots are "almost" good, but not.   They hit a fraction of a yard in the wrong direction and roll like crazy!

Sometimes I just quit and do something else for a while and try and forget it!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:42 PM

gerryniswonger:
    There is no doubt in my mind that I go through periods where almost all the shots I play are correctly figured out and I play beautifully. (In the Zone)  Sadly. there are periods where nothing I do is right.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that this doesn't happen to, I've seen it for as long as I've been playing this game. It's most notable to me in putting. Some days the hole is as big as a trashcan, other days it's the size of the ball. Most irritating is the dinged putts that slide by, lip out or stop on the edge. My fix is to stop pitching a fit and hit the ball closer.  :-D

• twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:47 PM

I've wondered in the past if having one of those really good, can't do a thing wrong rounds cranks up the vem/difficulty for a while afterwards. Have also wondered if having a really crappy round might offset or tone it back down a bit, lol.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:48 PM

YankeeJim:
    . My fix is to stop pitching a fit and hit the ball closer.  :-D

Does this mean you hear the "heartbeat" once in a while now Jim ?

Doc :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:49 PM

drmoose:
    Does this mean you hear the "heartbeat" once in a while now Jim ?

OMG, I don't have any of that silliness turned on so I wouldn't know.  LOL

@TP-Ever have one of those rounds where you birdie the first hole and then struggle to save par the rest of the round?  ;-)

• PAGES
RSS