Help › Forums

Pin placements

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 22 2019 11:32 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • OliverHess
    8 Posts
    Sun, Jan 20 2019 1:11 AM

I believe if WGT rotated the pin placements on a regular basis , ( say once every week ) , on all the platforms , ( multiplayer , stroke play tournaments etc. ) , on all the greens , it would make the game more interesting and in many cases easier and less frustrating for people . It seems there are only a very few cases where the pins are moved , ( for example hole 1 at St. Andrews ) , and only 2 different positions with the front more difficult position being the majority placement. Moving around the placements at many spots on all the greens regularly would be more like what real courses do for their golfers. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Jan 20 2019 7:03 PM

I have only been here a year but I believe this has been brought up a number of times and there seems to be some limit to the possible number of pin placements (they need a different set of photos for each) and not sure how the current placements are picked - possibly at random each time?

There is also the issue that if something requires added effort and/or cost, then WGT will have to make a business case for ROI.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Sun, Jan 20 2019 11:19 PM

MisterWGT (then the CEO of the company) once told us that there are at least
    two pin sets for each course. Alas, not all of these have been published yet.
    (used to come with big fanfare, like a new course)

In fact, some courses show only one pin set, e.g. RSG, OLY ..., while others have two available (STA, MER...)

The last one published was MER IIRC, 2014, about a year after MER itself.

Nowadays, the company is apparently deaf to our repeated pleas :(

• Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:12 AM

it is criminal that wgt dont do multiple pin placements. So many people have advised them on this as it is such a good idea. Yes it would take a little bit longer to do when getting the course photos but would keep a course more interesting for alot longer and should also make it easier/harder but when wolf creek was released with just 1 set it just shows you how the people in charge know nothing about what the players want.....

We probably wont get a new course this year which to be fair if it dont you will see alot of people leave as boredom will get the better of them. As usual wgt are draining wolf creek already, nearly every tournament seems to be on it. give it 6 months and it just be like the others... the fact that they havnt even mentioned a new course already (as it takes 6-12 months to do) is not a good sign.. 2020 (and lets face it, it will be towards the end) for the new one will not be good enough, plus always the chance of losing one like we did oakmont.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 6:12 AM

• Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 7:15 AM

i could have put it many different ways. We all new it was stupid of them to not have more than 1 pin position. stupid, idiotic, crazy, ridiculous..... list goes on.

As for you being happy with he amount of courses, thats your view. Again i no alot of people would disagree with you and have got bored/fed up with the limited courses we have. My point is that they probably wont even bring 1 new course a year, if they dont then they will lose players who have been loyal to the game for years. Yes the invite system should be fixed and is another show of bad management from them. That should be a top priority and shouldn't of taken them a month plus to sort. If they want more members and more people playing and more revenue then they need to pull their finger out.

Yes its a free game but that is not really a true statement. you have to spend money on this game or waste a hell of a lot of time to get good kit, anyone who says you dont is just lying to themselves. No way you can compete in this game without having to spend first.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:47 PM

NO, actually you are just giving your opinion and apparently enough people are satisified with the status quo to keep playing.  If they weren't, this game would cease.  On one hand you complain about putting money into this game and then you expect/demand that WGT spend money to do something for you.  It does not work that way.

And you are totally wrong about people lying about not spending money to play.  There are plenty of pretty good players that play with the free balls and low end equipment.  I can also guarantee you there are players that spend little to no money on this game.  Calling them liars is low and flat  incorrect (I could have put it a different way).

Who are you competing with?  Are you getting paid to compete?  No.

I compete with myself, i.e., trying to learn and get better.  Do I like playing with/against others?  Yep - but just for fun and learning.  We get virtual trophies and sometimes some credits but it does not feed me.

If you don't like playing, by all means stop.  No need to do something you don't like.  Just don't try to speak for all of us.

• Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:13 PM

thats your view, i just go by what i see and i have seen plenty of people not happy with the lack of pin placements or courses. In my opinion the game will carry on going downhill if they dont at least do 1 course a year and multiple pin placements. 

As for playing with free balls.... i guarantee that none of the top players use them when playing in a tournament that actually means something. Or if they do they are not winning any of them. See how many people play with starter balls when the world cup starts. 

I dont expect the game to be free but people shouldn't have to spend silly amounts to be able to compete in its gameplay. Yes everyone is different and some people will be happy going round in 10 over with starter ball and clubs but majority wont. Cant imagine there are many people who play say fifa and lose 10-0 all the time and keep playing. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 9:04 PM

Williams01210021:
    I dont expect the game to be free but people shouldn't have to spend silly amounts to be able to compete in its gameplay.

I am still fairly new (1 year and Legend).  Check my equipment.  I spent $5 the second month on the "buy 500 credits, get 500 free" offer.  That is it.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 11:28 PM

Williams01210021:
    I dont expect the game to be free but people shouldn't have to spend silly amounts to be able to compete in its gameplay.
    Why not, if many do so? It's a business, not a charity!

Would you expect to win Formula 1 (the real thing!) on a small budget?

Here, it's spend, lose or quit. That's our choice!

• PAGES
RSS