Help › Forums

Mobile - Will It Ever Be Big?

Fri, Mar 15 2019 3:50 PM (28 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 7:23 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Shows how often I have opened the mobile android app

Same here and I was part of the beta testing group for the Android version way back when WGT started working on it. The iPhone version was already out. It was a learning experience and shelved rather quickly for obvious "tiny" reasons. LOL

However, I tried the game on a tablet and there's a tremendous difference in the playability of the game. It'll never replace the PC version for me but I could see if it ever came down to it, the tablet version is a decent alternative.

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 2:41 PM

YankeeJim:

Jimbog1964:

Same here and I was part of the beta testing group for the Android version way back when WGT started working on it. The iPhone version was already out. It was a learning experience and shelved rather quickly for obvious "tiny" reasons. LOL

However, I tried the game on a tablet and there's a tremendous difference in the playability of the game. It'll never replace the PC version for me but I could see if it ever came down to it, the tablet version is a decent alternative.

I read this and thought this is a good moment to ask for feedback. 

Besides the size on a mobile device, what don't you like about it? 

_CHAMPION 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 4:14 PM

WGTChampion:

I could live with the size and no mouse, the reason is an absurdly basic one-putting. I use avatar movements for putting-have since day 1-and I would have to relearn putting using the PPal because everything is so smooth.

Not that big of a deal but I learned putting from Nivlac's primer on putting way back when and it has evolved into a seriously accurate way to putt-100% feel. I can move freely between green speeds without losing a step. All because of those moves you get on a PC. 

That is the single reason I don't do mobile. This game so replicates the real thing that what I know here carries seamlessly over to the mobile game so I could hang there without the putting issue.  You still have to understand golf and the way WGT goes after it.  :-)

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 6:21 PM

YankeeJim:
    I could live with the size and no mouse, the reason is an absurdly basic one-putting. I use avatar movements for putting-have since day 1-and I would have to relearn putting using the PPal because everything is so smooth.

I do the same thing using the ticks of  the backswing. That's how I was taught in the beginning. 

The one time I played mobile I used a % chart and did alright, not great.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jan 18 2019 9:06 PM

WGTChampion:

YankeeJim:

Jimbog1964:

_CHAMPION 

1. I am no gamer though and so would not be playing anything else on a phone with tech as it stands.  They ever release that folding phone then maybe it could change this game wise.  More to the point for the game my kids (I am old enough that they are now young adults 19 through near 23) don't really treat phones as gaming devices either. We do have a gaming PC and whilst I don't bother with it it does get used enough.  

The kids are typical kids at college / some part work............Picked my daughter and a couple of her friends up just yesterday off the train and all Iphone in hand etc.......

2. No tablet in the house.

Everyone does has a reasonable phone, PC and/or laptop / notebook. Tablets are just not mentioned.

Certainly for me my phone does everything from music, reasonable snaps / vids and even associated light editing (and I have real cameras), but phones very good for snaps / plenty OK vids. Work tool it scans docs etc etc.  It's a fine sat nav. Heck it even lets me listen to Brexit radio chat from London whilst I drive around Sydney (amazes me).............Catching a news article also great..........Phones are here to stay basically.

Thus for me, it's a main laptop, small surface, phone and I am good to go.......Maybe more to the point that general direction does not change all the way down to my kids age.

2. Opening the Mobile Game (first impressions as a long time member who has not opened the app in months and maybe for the fifth short time in all) 

Our expectations are high for most things and graphics wise nothing disappointed.  The music is lift (elevator) though.  It is as up to date as a mission impossible ring tone from 1997 playing for the 10th time on that 1/2hr train commute, but in 2019 it has no retro value or smiles the first time you hear it;

Apparel - I was thinking seriously.  I trudged through something to do with accepting superpower hats and pants / other stuff.  I almost checked to make sure I had not accidentally downloaded candy crush. Nothing was intuitive and it just seemed to get in the way of playing GOLF.  I finally hacked in without gaining an interest in superpower hats.  I did think  how can that be anything remotely associated with a golf game - first impressions remember.

PP/SP - I never got that far this time but should be an intrinsic option if you are trying to persuade people to spend on high-value balls.

I can't help but think the size keeps mattering though........Happy to catch a YT vid on the phone (preferably with BT sound something) but a game? Especially gold where you want to look about I doubt it will be for me on a phone.  Now could I of course I could but after walking past say my son playing some glorious spectacle racing game on a 27inch monitor, headphones on yacking away it's do I want to................If it worked on my Surface Go I might be interested for a few holes when out (look more anyway).

You guys will be across the market research way more than me, but just on the face of it I would summarise first impressions:

Great graphics spoilt by crap elevator music and being forced through a kindergarten trying to flog me hats with superpowers before I was allowed on the courseon a hardly used (tablet - edit: aimed at anyway) platform........................Shame as addled memory says the gameplay was fine (very couple of times tried a hole).  I don't remember it being so hard to just get on course the first time.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sat, Jan 19 2019 4:09 AM

The super power apparel only works in the practice mode and head 2  games as they are played in the practice mode.  And for some reason they work in clashes,at least they used to. None of the bonuses work in tournaments. 

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 3:05 PM

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! 

_CHAMPION 

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Fri, Mar 15 2019 3:50 PM

I play wgt on my phone every once and a while just for the change. My first and lasting impression of the experience is that it is much easier to hit the ding.

RSS