Forums

Help › Forums

L100 Callaway Rouge Pro vs. L97 Callaway Rogue Irons?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 26 2019 11:09 AM (20 replies)
  • SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 5:18 AM

Hi guys, I have the L100 Rouge Pro with 4.0 meter speed. Now I see that L97 Rouge irons has better meter speed with 4.4. If price doesn’t matter, would you switch if you care about the meter speed? Also, anyone has this L97 Rogue, and how do you like them? thanks

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 5:40 AM

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 5:42 AM

TopShelf2010:

Have a look ....

HERE

Don

Thanks Don

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 10:38 AM

I had the older L 97 Callys (Steelhead if I remember right). I did like the slower meter better. I do feel that the L 100 Rouge Pro plays slightly better though. The biggest difference I noticed most was with the PW. The L 97 PW was useless to me. I could never figure out how to get it to play consistent. I feel the L 100 PW alone was worth the change. #my2centsworth

Brett

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 11:42 AM

BPeterson8256:

I had the older L 97 Callys (Steelhead if I remember right). I did like the slower meter better. I do feel that the L 100 Rouge Pro plays slightly better though. The biggest difference I noticed most was with the PW. The L 97 PW was useless to me. I could never figure out how to get it to play consistent. I feel the L 100 PW alone was worth the change. #my2centsworth

Brett

I had the L97 steelhead. I liked them, but sold them, and got the Pro.I find the 3 clubs in Rogue pro, 7, 8 and 9i inconsistent, also reason why I would like to switch. Thinking of renting the L97 Rouge first, but that’s 600 credits that I could use to purchase them. Oh well, what to dooo....

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 3:09 PM

SlickHunter:
    Oh well, what to dooo....

I am wondering the same thing (for the future).

I have the L85 Cally Rogue set and they are OK and I have the L97 and L100 sets marked for future purchase (I am only L93, so it will be a while!).

You get a slight increase in distance and forgiveness in the L100 set, with a 0.4 decrease in meter speed.  In general, I wonder if the increase in forgiveness is enough to offset the slightly faster meter!

(Meter speed is a problem for me, with my hand-eye coordination getting worse!)

I will probably get the L97 set when I get there and maybe (maybe) get the L100 set when I get there, keeping the L97 set for backup.  Yes, that will cost some credits to experiment, but I will probably do that unless we get some solid recommendations one way or the other.

Edit - after going and reading the former post Don linked, I think I will probably stick with the L97s when I get there.  Or maybe not!

I saw a lot of familiar names in that post that are in this one, as well.  You guys are helpful!

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 4:11 PM

DoctorLarry:
    In general, I wonder if the increase in forgiveness is enough to offset the slightly faster meter!

This was my major concern as well... I wanted consistent meters speed to help potentially improve my ding percentage. 

I opted for the L97 and did not initially upgrade but only did so recently after doing well enough in tournaments I felt comfortable spending the extra credits.  

Since I usually opt for a slightly above average ball with slower meter (L61), I have found myself doing okay, but there are times the meter does seem quick but that could be WGT or browser or whatnot.

I also tested or tried out a higher end ball L96 TM and L70 Titl.  I found both of those balls seemed to help my timing with the L100 clubs...  I just don't like the cost playing them on a regular basis... 

So... I think it may depend on what type of daily use ball you intend to play.  Since you have a L81 TM in the bag at the moment (which plays quite similar to the L61), I will guess that is your daily play ball.  I suspect you could handle the L100 irons playing that ball.  The only reason I gave them a chance is because the meter speeds were bumped up from the old Nike clubs of similar specs... Otherwise I would not even considered the slight upgrade.  Am just hoping the slight precision and forgiveness upgrades get me ever so slightly closer for a few more looks at birdie.  

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 9:54 PM

el3n1:
    So... I think it may depend on what type of daily use ball you intend to play.  Since you have a L81 TM in the bag at the moment (which plays quite similar to the L61), I will guess that is your daily play ball.  I suspect you could handle the L100 irons playing that ball.

I just started using this ball a couple of weeks ago after I was gifted a total of 3 sleeves by a couple of friends after mentioning I might try them.  I am not sold on them because I am seeing no improvement in distance over the Cally L34 and L35 balls I had mapped.  Some of it may be due to the higher spin rating, but I am not sold on them yet.  The slower meter did help.

I might drop back to the TM L61 balls as a sort of in-between compromise and try those.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2019 3:11 AM

DoctorLarry:
    Edit - after going and reading the former post Don linked, I think I will probably stick with the L97s when I get there.  Or maybe not!

I would strongly suggest you consider the L90 irons.  They will play an awful lot like the even higher irons, and that 3 iron distance/trajectory is particularly a step up v the L85s.

Ball wise a good quality one (L33 is that but higher level will fizz more), and map it and map it again (maybe people in your CC can help)............I am effin about with beer balls and some common sense gets me a 30 ish (they go longer with FBS as not so much spin v a real HL fizzer etc)........I will map a better sleeve soon (I used to use the L81 Nike) and it won't take long as it will be close..........

Plenty of RRs at L to settle in and yes the L85 irons are fine, but the L90s get you into HL irons territory much more.....................will be a transition and a learning curve and not for all but play them well and the real HL ones will be just a more comfy set of shoes that allow that something extra in even higher tiers (fine lines indeed). 

Whilst I am at it..If you are not peppering the pin with your wedges (incl PW) ideally think about a change there.

Driver wise I am not sure what WGT is up to.  The L90 driver is OK but so out  of line with the course the game has gone as it actually needs some thought to keep it on line.........The obvious upgrade is not until L96.then again 283 yard ones exist (but money and ......)

GL :)

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2019 5:01 AM

I got the L97 Rogue irons. I will compare them with my L100 Rogue Pro, and report my results. 

RSS