Forums

Help › Forums

Drivers/TaylorMade/Callaway/Titleist

Tue, Jul 2 2019 9:56 PM (32 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 12:00 PM

SlickHunter:
    The easier the game becomes, the less fun, and challenging it will be.

+1

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 1:26 PM

@ Futtocks considering that you are a L86 Tour Pro how do you know about whats going on at the tips ? Why would it even concern you at your present tier . By the time you make it to the tips who knows what will be happening . Not trying to disrespect you but your comments do make me ponder your out look on this topic .

Tier based clubs have been a topic in the past especially when it comes to the high level clubs . Many players felt it would stop players from sand bagging but not multi accounting . Others felt that WGT was too money hungry to make that happen . But now with all of the lower level clubs that have been added to the game  . Now it could become a more realistic option to be added to the game .

It wouldnt hurt club sales if clubs L90 and above now became tiered based .

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 4:29 PM

futtocks12345:

I agree, but would add, suggest to

ADD DISTANCE TO SOME NEW TOP DRIVERS FOR LEGEND+ ONLY

... suggest they should come in (or other similar top drivers) with proper/longer distance range like real PGA golfer types

... with 300 or 310 / 320 yds, but base availability on RANK not just Level - (ie. for Legend+ only - eg to address the tee shot distance advantage that especially Pro/Tour Pro have due tee position) - also a real incentive to then progress thru to Legend+ etc.

WGT has tier-based balls and putters.  The reason they don’t do that for clubs is because many players are simply not good enough, because of whatever reasons, to advance to Legend. To deny these players better equipment is not good business practice. Whatever gripes you, me, and other Legends may have about these players outdriving us are not WGT’s concern

• Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 2:24 AM

They need to release more than 1 driver next time, Few different options, They will need to add a tad more distance to get people to buy them, For me wgt have shot themselves in the foot by having drivers with to much accuracy, Thats the problem, 95% plus accuracy of the tee is the unrealistic part.

If they bring out a 300 yard driver give it really crap meter speed and then have a 295 with half decent and a 293 with very slow meter. Give people the option if they want to go long but risk missing more fairways. 

• futtocks12345
    29 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 5:32 AM

lonniescott711:

@ Futtocks considering that you are a L86 Tour Pro how do you know about whats going on at the tips ? Why would it even concern you at your present tier . By the time you make it to the tips who knows what will be happening . Not trying to disrespect you but your comments do make me ponder your out look on this topic .

My observation is that a significant number of legends+ won't play vs Pro/Tour Pro - I have personally heard the reason of "ridiculous tee advantage"....  In reality another way would have been to have drivers of only up to 255yds for Ranks below Legend - but that's not feasible when everyone's already armed with 275yd+ drivers. 

It is a heavy advantage if alt.shot games end up with (eg) a Legend & low level plyr or a Tour Pro plyr with short driver  ...   vs 2x long driver Tour Pro - ends up very 1 sided with the Tour Pros normally winning within 6 or 7 holes - which some may like but it's a bit daft. & Unless you know the players just looking at averages when setting up a "fair" game doesn't then work.

Potentially for Tour Pro's typically with averages 67+ to low 70's, there is currently no dramatic incentive to put in the ranked rounds to drop average to below 67 & go Master or further to Legend thereafter - it seems - just makes alt.shot games unbalanced/harder & less fun.

I understand w gee tee might want to push ball sales as the way to recover, rather than one-off club sales, of course -   a bit like the difference between the good old buy-it-once vs. modern marketing efforts to get monthly subscriptions for everything from socks to razor blades, for those of us lucky enough to be able to afford piling up monthly subscriptions for everything.

Lastly, only w gee tee will know what the "play up to legend level, then stop playing"  rate/stats look like - but a perception I have is that quite a lot of people played up to Master/Tour Master or Legend then just stop playing or play just occasionally... potentially because of frustration. (eg based on reviews of w gee tee in some review websites)

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 6:05 AM

Williams01210021:
    f they bring out a 300 yard driver give it really crap meter speed

Risk or reward.

A 300yd driver with a starter driver meter speed, miss the ding and pay the consequences.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 6:26 AM

Williams01210021:

They need to release more than 1 driver next time, Few different options, They will need to add a tad more distance to get people to buy them, For me wgt have shot themselves in the foot by having drivers with to much accuracy, Thats the problem, 95% plus accuracy of the tee is the unrealistic part.

If they bring out a 300 yard driver give it really crap meter speed and then have a 295 with half decent and a 293 with very slow meter. Give people the option if they want to go long but risk missing more fairways. 

+1

Basically, that's what I was trying to say earlier in the thread regarding accuracy and length. You said it much better.

The accuracy and forgiveness of the drivers are unrealistic. This past clash, I played Wolf Creek and Pebble Beach both in high winds. I think I missed 1 fairway. That has a lot more to do with the forgiveness of the clubs than my ability. 

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sat, Jan 12 2019 7:04 AM

This is an internet game where reality does not exist. Reality is that we cannot all be Tiger or Bubba or Jordan. But with WGT I can drive just like those guys. I can play St Andrews or Pebble beach and score better than they do.

To add more distance to drives would begin to take this game further from reality than it already is. I don't wish to play cartoon golf nor do I want  to play pitch and putt. I expect a challenge from the game that is delivered in its current form. 

On some holes we already can make tee shots  that the pros never attempt simply because the drivers are so extremely accurate that there is little or no risk. Perhaps the game should have first been programmed in such a way that the risk of going astray with a full powered drive was accentuated. Sort of like the red zone on the tachometer. Trying for extra power might mean a faster meter.

But the reality is that we have the game that WGT built and the inability to change it. We can ask or suggest but we can't change it. My question is always, "Why?" What is there about the game that needs to change?

I agree that the game has flaws, but real golf on real courses has flaws. And I know that I will never ever hit a ball like Bubba. Why should that be any different here in fairy land. 

• futtocks12345
    29 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2019 11:20 AM

If its meant to be reality golf then only 15%, at most, of all players should be able to hit 275 -300 yd+ drives at all, ever... ...the rest of us would be hanging around between 230yds & 260 yds, irrelevant of wonder-clubs/balls / bonus super-balls / power-gloves / power shoulder straps / stretchy back supports .. / ...  or anything else etc

It would also rain & be generally nasty weather sometimes too ... totally changing the behaviour of the fairways, rough and greens, especially on the links courses - rain on those in reality can make them really really slow, with the ball picking up sand on roll; & fescue/brush rough is then just evil - accentuating accuracy over distance

.... Back to the point of the thread

- some new latest gen. virtual driver clubs with benefits & drawbacks as a balance would not be bad thing,  but without any benefits over existing stuff, there's not going to be much take up, other than as either/or alternatives for those newly reaching those levels.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2019 12:22 PM

futtocks12345:
    My observation is that a significant number of legends+ won't play vs Pro/Tour Pro - I have personally heard the reason of "ridiculous tee advantage".
    Thats part of the reason . The other part is fear of either the lower tier player is a restart or a sand bagger or multi accounter .

There used to be threads some years ago by Legends crying when they got their clocks cleaned by lower tiered players . They got laughed at here in the forums for losing credits in skins play . So the main rule has been to not play those lower tiered players . Those Legend players found out , that its no fun when the rabbit has the gun .

So players below Master tier are off limits to Legends and above unless playing for fun or teaching purposes . Its now standard practice within the game by the players for the most part .

RSS