Forums

Help › Forums

Drivers/TaylorMade/Callaway/Titleist

Tue, Jul 2 2019 9:56 PM (32 replies)
  • DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Fri, Jan 4 2019 11:58 AM
    How long until we get the TaylorMade M5 & M6, Callaway Epic Flash & Flash sub zero and the Titleist TS2 & TS3 in the pro shop. Release them all at the same time and get a big buying frenzy going on. Would like to see them at top levels too (100+) Come on wgt, make it happen.
  • hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Jan 4 2019 7:14 PM

DAZZA501:
    Would like to see them at top levels too (100+)

+1 and hopefully not just a graphics change, these newer version of clubs at least have some sort of improvements. :)

And....let's not forget the fact that Titleist is introducing yellow pro v's this year!  ;-)

• futtocks12345
    29 Posts
    Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:25 PM

I agree, but would add, suggest to

ADD DISTANCE TO SOME NEW TOP DRIVERS FOR LEGEND+ ONLY

... suggest they should come in (or other similar top drivers) with proper/longer distance range like real PGA golfer types

... with 300 or 310 / 320 yds, but base availability on RANK not just Level - (ie. for Legend+ only - eg to address the tee shot distance advantage that especially Pro/Tour Pro have due tee position) - also a real incentive to then progress thru to Legend+ etc.

... can't see at the moment what would stop wgt wanting to do that, they can can only earn form it.

... except... (I digress from theme): is there a hypothetically possible lack of company high level interest in investing PROGRAMMING EFFORT into the DESKTOP PC/LAPTOP flash game version (at all), with flash player extinction not that far away?   (...  that's a separate theme, but would a moderate dedicated team be able to get most things across into flash-free future compatible condition? - h. they could even out-source to a highest bidder as a profit share to get that retro'd or farm out packages of effort/work to universities/colleges etc).

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 9:08 AM

futtocks12345:

ADD DISTANCE TO SOME NEW TOP DRIVERS FOR LEGEND+ ONLY

... suggest they should come in (or other similar top drivers) with proper/longer distance range like real PGA golfer types

Do you also suggest they reduce their accuracy so that they better reflect " real PGA golfer types"? 

There's nothing wrong with the distance of the top-level drivers. Of course, it would be nice to have extra yardage off the tee. But there's no compelling reason why extra yardage is needed. 

• futtocks12345
    29 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 10:51 AM

Robert1893 ... That is a different theme (Accuracy random factor) - but if you like - as long as the same occasional random angle or distance factor goes across the board (eg. all drivers, for everybody)

On the Distance subject - still think that Legend+ should have the chance to get their drives somewhere near where Pros/Tour Pros can get the drive to go to on fairway, & 300 / 310+ yds average would not be unreasonable (for high high RANK). Surprised you wouldn't be for it as a Champ.

I have a friend in real life who hits a 3i to 260+ without wind & hill - well it's often lost ball if he does get driver out, so he has a 2i  instead...   due to accuracy at crazy distance (linking to your accuracy side point).

Your side-point of Accuracy:

However - it would not be the clubs that have reduced accuracy, surely ? -  it is the fact that humans are physically variable in how they hit the ball in real golf each time to greater or lesser extent

- if you mean that - that would be by like adding extra random chaos factor to virtual wgt shots - such that even when clicked/dinged in the virtual game it could still occasionally fly off strangely somewhat right/left or go much longer/shorter than expected.  (some would say that anyway happens).

- Such random occasional chaos factor for all clubs for everyone would be irritating for the perfectionists, but would take out the robot-like perfect repetition play of some high level players,  no offence meant...  (but would likely cause much noise & friction, esp. in challenge games of course .. "I dinged it but it impossibly flew off against the wind direction etc etc...).

... Lol... I've occasionally even myself been accused of using a robot to hit the meter/ding, or "cheating with some sort of software" when I occasionally have 9 holes in a row where it all works fine or a lucky super-long putt goes in ... (normally enough imperfection with mis-timed or wrong length shots for it to be obvious that I'm human, though).

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:25 AM

I dont know how much more distance you guys think anyone needs off the tees . The top L100 drivers are avg. 287 yds . With the rock I get anywhere from 297 - 300 depending on wind . If I use my L35 + Cally ball its between 310 - 320 yds as well . Thats firing from the tips and Im quite sure the higher paying balls go even further .

So there really is no need for longer drivers . You can reach any par 4 in 2 and some par 5s as well . What would be nice would be to tweak the short irons  A better pw that we can also hit flop shots with and avg. 125 yds instead of 120 .

It would also be nice to have a hybrid that goes 240 - 250 yds as an alternate club for the 3 wood . I would buy one if they made it since the high end 3 woods play wacky to me . So there are some clubs that do need some changing but the drivers arent on that list .

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:36 AM
    Totally agree with Lonnie. My level 103 has all the distance necessary, and in fact I have to back off the distance on quite a few holes to keep it on the fairway. The hybrid suggestion is spot on as well. I carry two hybrids in my real life bag, and many carry more.
  • SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:37 AM

I think they should lessen the yardage on these top drivers. The more easier the game becomes, the less fun, and challenging it will be.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:55 AM

SlickHunter:

I think they should lessen the yardage on these top drivers. The more easier the game becomes, the less fun, and challenging it will be.

I pretty much agree with this.  If you want to get closer to the holes on a drive - move up to the red tees!

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:58 AM

futtocks12345:
    Robert1893 ... That is a different theme (Accuracy random factor) - but if you like - as long as the same occasional random angle or distance factor goes across the board (eg. all drivers, for everybody)

My point about accuracy goes to the forgiveness of the clubs. 

futtocks12345:
    On the Distance subject - still think that Legend+ should have the chance to get their drives somewhere near where Pros/Tour Pros can get the drive to go to on fairway, & 300 / 310+ yds average would not be unreasonable (for high high RANK). Surprised you wouldn't be for it as a Cham

Well, I don't think the game should be reduced to (metaphorically, if not literally, at times) a "pitch and putt." Especially with the accuracy and spin of the top-level irons, I just don't think that longer drivers are necessary. As Lonnie suggests, with halfway decent balls, it's common to average over 300 yards/drive. 

Two remaining points. First, I'm fine with every hole not being a "birdie hole." Par should still be a good score. And second, at some point, players should have to use their 3 iron or 3 wood for their approach shot on par 4s.

Besides, making the game easier would not be making it better. That's just my take. 

RSS