Forums

Help › Forums

What's up with the average score going up since WC?

Fri, Jan 3 2020 5:01 PM (54 replies)
  • jacktrade51
    10,894 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 7:10 PM

WGT average does not measure talent at this game.  Too many people do not realize that.

On Legend to TL to Champ:

Basic statistics, if you got 500 rounds to 60.00 average to get from Legend to TL, inside there is the 200 to get from TL to Champ.  One just has to do it again.  But it is easier second time … we know what we did not know as a new Legend coming up from Tour Master.

On Champ to TC:  Several of those guys on my friends list.  God bless their talent but I cannot compete.  I am happy being a Champ.  (I tried to avoid Champ when I was TL, but I could not.)

Averages:  Any 1/2 experienced Champ (or Legend)  can produce a 57 average as WGT calculates.  (My club, Black Diamond GC, does its own.)  It is highly variable based on what the player chooses to play.  Short tees, low wind, anyone can lower average.  The way to play for real is in tournaments, default tees and whatever the course gives you.  (Not that I am beyond playing Avg. Busters, Go Low, or whatever you club calls it.)  There are averages and real averages in WGT.  Look up what the player has been playing.

(NOTE: Five years ago in former club, we had a player who played nothing except low wind, red tees stroke play rounds.  No tournaments.  Got to Legend and quit the game.  Whatever floats your boat.)

Tom.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 7:41 PM

jacktrade51:
    Basic statistics, if you got 500 rounds to 60.00 average to get from Legend to TL, inside there is the 200 to get from TL to Champ.

That changed. The 200 has become something higher, presumably 500. According to WGT that 200 was temporary and it didn't make sense for it to be easier to get to C than it was to get to TL so they made it right in the last update. The 500 has yet to be verified.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 8:05 PM
    The way to play for real is in tournaments, default tees and whatever the course gives you. Absolutely if you want an almost correct avg lol. WGT has many variables one can play with. Jim is correct also, never should have been 200 ranked rounds to begin with.
  • jacktrade51
    10,894 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 8:32 PM

YankeeJim:
    That changed. The 200 has become something higher, presumably 500. According to WGT that 200 was temporary and it didn't make sense for it to be easier to get to C than it was to get to TL so they made it right in the last update. The 500 has yet to be verified.

What I posted is what I "grew" up with,  Still I agree what has to be done for most should be transparent.

And, Jim, give me a +1 on reliability of averages visa player talent.

• golfingguitarist
    56 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2018 2:02 AM

It must be more than 500 as I have over 600 ranked rounds as a TL & it is not saturated yet.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2018 9:43 AM

golfingguitarist:

It must be more than 500 as I have over 600 ranked rounds as a TL & it is not saturated yet.

AFAIK, we don't know whether WGT kept all the results of all the ranked rounds before this change.  They may have only kept the best 200.

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2018 5:00 PM

golfingguitarist:

Actually it could be 500 or even only 400. What it is I dont know! But if it is 500 what has happened is that your previous average (prior to the change) was based on your best 200 ranked rounds as a TL no matter how many you had played as a TL. Now if the set up is 500 (remember this is a guess no one has yet been able to confirm this) you will be averageing the best 500 (or less if you have not reached the 500 mark yet) ranked rounds. So what it sounds like is happening is folks had removed many of the rounds that were at 60 or more, but now because of the increase in RR's required these have been brought back into your average and will have to be worked off.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2018 8:35 PM

At the rate these averages seem to be going up, I am suspecting that WGT only kept the best 200 RR as TL and TLs now are getting an average of those and the ones since the change.  I don't hink the averages could change that much if it were based on 500 previous RR.

But then again, we may never know.

• jacktrade51
    10,894 Posts
    Tue, Jan 1 2019 12:01 AM

I am hearing TL's (including incumbent TL's) got switched to 500 rounds to get to Champ.  

I also heard that there is separate saturation for Champ to TC depending on whether you were Champ before or after last update.

I told WGT … thanks for no favors.  With all due respect to fmagnets Yiannis (both of whom are friends) and walkoflife, I am happy to have them out of my tier and willing to be a Champ.

I have some TL's .. a few in my club … who might have been screwed in this.

Maybe some TL Ready Go's or Brackets might be in order.

Tom

• AIMTOPLEZE
    557 Posts
    Tue, Jan 8 2019 2:36 AM

I think it's a screwy deal

RSS