Help › Forums

avg score increases again despite more 200 rnds played

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 10 2019 4:02 PM (52 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2018 6:47 AM

Robert1893:
    And, at this point, it seems clear they left saturation for Champion at 200 rounds. But one has to wonder, down the road, will they decide that was also "temporary"? 

Probably, I imagine they left it as 200 otherwise TC would still have been empty (Icon excepted), but would have liked to raise it.  When they get suitable numbers it may well change.

About this: We use an algorithm to determine when a player is eligible to move to a new tier, which takes into account a number of factors including number of ranked games played. These numbers scale by tier, so it's necessary to shoot a lower average to advance and to play more games to reach higher tiers. For example, when you reach Tour Master, you will need to play a larger number of ranked rounds than you had as a Master, maintaining a low average, to tier up to Legend.

So up to Legend that happens then you need 500 rounds at Legend and, for that to be true, at least 501 at TL.  We already know it's not always true though with saturation at Champ' being 200 rounds.  Perhaps indicating future change there.

• grossstadtkerl
    267 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2019 10:40 AM

Reading all the staff over the last two weeks, I think this is the new metrics:

• When you have played at least 5 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 100.00 you go from Hack to Amateur. 
    • When you have played at least 10 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 80.00 you go from Amateur to Pro. 
    • When you have played at least 20 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 72.00 you go from Pro to Tour Pro  
    • When you have played at least 25 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 67.00 you go from Tour Pro to Master  
    • When you have played at least 40 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 63.00 you go from Master to Tour Master 
    • When you have played at least 50 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 61.00 you go from Tour Master to Legend 
    • When you have played at least 500 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 60.00 you go from Legend to Tour Legend
    • When you have played at least 500 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 59.00 you go from Tour Legend to Champion 
    • When you have played at least 200 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 55.00 you go from Champion to Tour Champion
    • When you have played 200 ranked rounds, you saturate at Tour Champion.

Wolfgang

• patfrenchy
    304 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2019 12:56 PM

Hi Wolfgang,

I thought also it was something like that.

The only little problem is that when i reached TL i had 1777 ranked rounds played, i'm now 2399 rr (622 rr played) and for 2 weeks, my avg score increases again after 2 or 3 months with only decreasing or motionless if bad played. my avg was 59.6 and now 60.02.

So perheaps there is no more saturation threshold ? 

Patrick

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2019 2:39 PM

Patrick this is repeating what I tried to say on page 2, hoprfully more clearly.

On the day of the update you had played more rounds than needed for saturation, lets say 606.  But you were saturated so only the best 200 rounds were included in your average.

Immediately after the update your average didn't change massively, that's only happened in bits and pieces with the 16ish rounds since the update.

I think that therefor you have now played approximately 216 rr's at TL as far as wgt are concerned and may well need another 284 (or whatever it now is) to reach saturation again. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2019 3:01 PM

@ Patrick

WGT has acknowledged that there is still a saturation threshold. What we don't know (and probably won't for a while) is how many rounds WGT now counts for those players who are at Tour Legend.

For players who were saturated, WGT could have given players credit only for the lowest 200 rounds, or they could have given them credit for 0 rounds and just carried over the average. 

Nevertheless, it seems clear WGT didn't give players credit for their lowest 500 rounds, if players had that many ranked rounds for average at TL. If they had counted the last 500 rounds, players would have been complaining that their averages went up overnight without having played a round. 

I suspect that WGT is counting the last 200 rounds for those who were saturated. If that's true, then it would seem pretty easy to demonstrate, assuming the person knows their average before the change.

Simply take the pre-change average and multiply it by 200. That's the base number. Now  track number of ranked rounds and scores going forward. Your average will equal (base number + new scores)/(200+ranked rounds since change). And don't forget to double scores for rounds that are only 9 holes. 

In fact, I ran the numbers for your average. If I entered everything correctly, it pretty much works out. 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2019 3:04 PM

patfrenchy:
    my avg was 59.6 and now 60.02.

I quickly went through your scores since the update and may well have included one or two that weren't rr's but it shouldn't matter if I can explain properly.

If your average was 59.6 and based on 200 rounds it included 11,920 strokes. In the 21 rounds I counted you had 1,341 strokes (9 holes all x2).  That would then give you  221 rounds  and 13,261 strokes and an average of just over 60.

If say 500 rounds had been counted your 59.6 then included 28,300 strokes add 1,341 and / by 521 gives an average of 59.89.

In short the more rounds included the less your average should change, I'd bet at skinny odds your average is worked out on just over 200 rounds.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2019 3:43 PM

I really struggle with why the company likes some so much to be secret. 

I fail to see anything other than fairness and reasonable carrot dangling if it said say zero credits involved with a saturated pot X RRs adding up no to more than XX and you get the next tier...............

Of course, the language offered thus far might mean 750 RRs (one number as good as any in guessing land).  Maybe they never fancied that fire to deal with??

One could argue that if you are choosing to play full RRs off the tier tees then it's a bonus taking longer.  If someone can't bang in enough of those (edit: low enough RRs) regularly to saturate a pot then stay there until you can, and even have a go at some tiered events for credits when you can.  Now start mashing the credits it's fair enough to have an indeterminate algorithm (manual thought of the day or otherwise) applied. 

Don't get me wrong I do understand it's rough for those who were a few RRs away with their goal in sight.  If it were me I would like to know where I stood now rather than wait (OK probably not that long) before the community works out the basics............All likely on deaf ears, but..............

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Jan 3 2019 2:52 AM

Jimbog1964:
    If it were me I would like to know where I stood now rather than wait (OK probably not that long) before the community works out the basics............All likely on deaf ears, but..............

Me too.

It could be a wee while, what would be needed to start the ball rolling is someone to be saturated again and report it in the forum. It looks like that may take about 300 rr's after the update.

Meanwhile Champ' tier will continue to get smaller :-/

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Thu, Jan 3 2019 3:17 AM

Hi,

A Tour Champ friend of mine currently plays on average 25 games a day & he's currently played 140 RR's as of this Post, He's gonna check In with me between Fri & Sat & throw In an average to bad round after he's surpassed 200 RR's as a TC.

Ken

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Tue, Jan 8 2019 7:23 PM

grossstadtkerl:

• When you have played 200 ranked rounds, you saturate at Tour Champion.

Wolfgang

For those who want to know... I can verify that Tour Champion saturates at 200 rr.

Brett

RSS