Help › Forums

avg score increases again despite more 200 rnds played

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 10 2019 4:02 PM (52 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2018 1:43 PM

patfrenchy:
    Next question is : what is the number of rounds needed to meet tier saturation

There is another one too; have the TL's that played more than 200 rr's at that tier lost these extra rounds toward saturation?

• patfrenchy
    304 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2018 2:28 PM

i can answer yes, it's what happened to me.

i was 606 rnds played today since i became TL but with some unranked, i don't know exactly how much. but sure i am between 400 and 500 ranked rounds and saturation reached since 3 months.

and now saturation = bye bye ,  sigh.....

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2018 3:17 PM

@patfrenchy

Kudos to you for pursuing this and getting WGT to give you a straight answer, even though they didn't specify the number of rounds. 

I wonder if it's going to be 500. That would be brutal. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2018 4:30 PM

Robert1893:

Said that right. I remember going through that, took forever.

Here's brutal for ya, true story. When the TL tier came out the Legend tier was split like the Champion tier was just now-a bunch went to TL and the rest stayed Legends. I was 60 point something and the cut was subsequently determined to be 60 so I stayed a Legend whilst all my regular playing partners turned TL. The green speeds went to 13 for them.

Just missing wasn't bad enough, though,  WGT added 5 strokes to my average!!! I couldn't believe it and through the course of my protestations I learned it wasn't a bug, that's just the way it was. From 60 to 65 overnight, get busy on your 500 rounds and then get down to 60 again.  To this day I'm a year behind everybody else because of that. Qualifies as brutal, I say. LOL   ;-)

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2018 6:15 PM

YankeeJim:

Robert1893:

Here's brutal for ya, true story. When the TL tier came out the Legend tier was split like the Champion tier was just now-a bunch went to TL and the rest stayed Legends. I was 60 point something and the cut was subsequently determined to be 60 so I stayed a Legend whilst all my regular playing partners turned TL. The green speeds went to 13 for them.

Just missing wasn't bad enough, though,  WGT added 5 strokes to my average!!! I couldn't believe it and through the course of my protestations I learned it wasn't a bug, that's just the way it was. From 60 to 65 overnight, get busy on your 500 rounds and then get down to 60 again.  To this day I'm a year behind everybody else because of that. Qualifies as brutal, I say. LOL   ;-)

Ouch. Its taken me 2 years to get back down from 70

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2018 7:34 PM

YankeeJim:

That is brutal. It also makes no sense. 

Generally, I like to give WGT the benefit of the doubt. But the recent change they made with saturation and Tour Legend as well as what they did to you just makes me shake my head.

The only thing that could "redeem" the decision with saturation and Tour Legend is if they lowered the number of rounds to saturate at Legend tier. But I don't seem them doing that. 

I have to believe, however, this means the Champion tier will continue to lose players but not pick up a lot of players as quickly. I guess the next couple of months is the time to start playing those Champion-tier tournaments. :-) 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2018 7:41 PM

patfrenchy:

WGT answer :

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your message. When we originally introduced the Champion tier we made the number of ranked rounds needed to reach Champion tier very low, even lower than the number needed to achieve Tour Legend.

The reason for this was to help Tour Legends enter the Champion tier faster since they already had hundreds of rounds in the Tour Legend tier. This was always meant to only be a temporary number of rounds to change tier.

We have finally changed it so a player needs more ranked rounds to move from Tour Legend to Champion. With this change made it so the number of rounds needed to meet tier saturation to be much higher than previous. This is why some players have noticed that their average has been fluctuating recently.

Next question is : what is the number of rounds needed to meet tier saturation

Given the wording above, namely "very low," and "much higher," I'd be astonished if the actual number wasn't 500, to match the current Legend saturation level.

Why WGT just can't bring itsownself to say that is just one of life's mysteries.

Ah well, for those of us slogging through the late stages of Legend Hell, Death March II awaits.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2018 8:00 PM

K7JBQ:
    Ah well, for those of us slogging through the late stages of Legend Hell, Death March II awaits.

Could be worse.

I am in the early stages of Legend Hell.  Can't make a decent score to save my neck!  Sure can't place in a tiered tournament - or most any kind!

But then, you remember, because you went through it!

• patfrenchy
    304 Posts
    Thu, Dec 27 2018 4:12 AM

Obviously, i asked wgt the number of rounds recquired for saturation, here is the answer.

Not satisfying me.....algorithm is the magic word to discourage to question again so i tried a last one, i will tell you if i get an answer

sorry if there is some english faults, french here on the keyboard !

Hi Patrick,

We use an algorithm to determine when a player is eligible to move to a new tier, which takes into account a number of factors including number of ranked games played. These numbers scale by tier, so it's necessary to shoot a lower average to advance and to play more games to reach higher tiers. For example, when you reach Tour Master, you will need to play a larger number of ranked rounds than you had as a Master, maintaining a low average, to tier up to Legend.

Additionally, in response to WGT player feedback about sandbagging (misrepresenting one's true ability to gain advantage by playing at a lower tier from closer tee boxes), WGT is using more than just ranked stroke play scores to determine each player's average score and appropriate tier ranking.

For obvious reasons, WGT is not sharing exact details of these changes, but they include factoring in scores from players who perform well in tournaments and challenge games for credits. We still encourage the community's feedback on Sandbagging, but believe this is an important step to reducing the practice and keeping the game fair.

Finally, most of our top players have posted close estimates for players to try to gauge their progress in advancing tiers. Here is a good thread to read:
    http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/9085/707139.aspx#707139

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 27 2018 5:36 AM

Robert1893:
    Generally, I like to give WGT the benefit of the doubt. But the recent change they made with saturation and Tour Legend as well as what they did to you just makes me shake my head.

In trying to understand the logic behind it all, it looks to me like they're evening out the tiers. They took a chunk of the Champion tier to populate the TC tier, made it harder for TLs to get to Champion and thinned the Champion tier out in the process. 

Theoretically, the top 3 tiers have been leveled out and the process to advance has increased in difficulty so movement should be slowed down. Why, I have no clue other than to bring new faces to the top of the leaderboards. That's not such a bad thing, though, I suppose.  :-)

RSS