Forums

Help › Forums

Wolf Creek Overview

Fri, Sep 6 2019 7:05 PM (45 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Thu, Dec 20 2018 12:01 PM

Lots of good advice above.

The wind makes this course different each time (I think).  With all the problems yesterday, I avoided play until very late last night.  Played the front 9 and got favorable winds (as I found out for each hole).  Shot a 9-hole round I will not likely ever match!

Mind you, I lost a ball on # 8 with a terrible misding early!!  And got double bogey after three straight eagles.

I forsee some rounds in the very low 20s for many of you better players.

• ClericTaven
    59 Posts
    Thu, Dec 20 2018 4:28 PM
    as others posted - just a stunning course addition!
    CTTH has always been a challenge, now All 18…

I loved it too! A few more rounds to make par or better.

Thank You WGT

for everyone interested, a multi-playable tournament is available.
  • irishowen
    265 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 9:20 AM

Well, almost a month of playing the Wolf and must admit, with following caveat, that it's a ton of challenging fun. Definitely a huge risk-reward course. My BUT is the inordinate number of balls I have lost on it over the last 4 wks, more than all other courses combined over previous 3 months. I cannot afford performance slow meter balls and note that anything slightly off ding results in a big stray. On many Wolf holes this means water or OB. Having experienced some dubious game action in the past (happily rectified by WGTs incredibly responsive Member Services Team) I genuinely believe the course has been designed as a ball eater, ergo a $$$ maker for WGT. I'm Legend Tier, avg 66 , being playing for 5 years and generally use 250-300 credit balls with 2.5 meter speed. Also a fixed income pensioner who cannot afford Wolf's ball attrition rate. Wondering if others are experiencing heavy ball mortality on Wolf. If this is true perhaps WGT would consider either tweeking the course alorgorithms( unlikely) or reducing its rotation frequency in Tournaments and coin game play. All comments appreciated.  Thanks all, gg and gl.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 12:45 PM

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 3:19 PM

TopShelf2010:

So many people have suggested Wolf Creek is a ball eater. Personally I fail to see it. But then again, I don't go for the miracle HIGH RISK shot when I play. I guess if I did I would see more lost balls.

Don

I have not played WC many times but what I see are many more holes that offer the risk/reward factor, compared to other courses.  (Especially for a 6-week Legend!)

For me, the right wind gives me a chance to hit over things (hills, creeks, rough) that I would normally avoid - sometimes yielding a big advantage .... IF I read the hole and wind right and IF I make the shot!

There are a few tight places that require quite accurate shots, but not much more than other courses.  

I play a slower meter ball and look for clubs with slower meters since my hand-eye coordination is not what it used to be.  Even then.............

Yes - it is more of a HIGH Risk/Reward course than many.  Especially with high winds!

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 10:50 PM
    It's a course management course, much like Merion and the late, lamented Oakmont, Many times I hit 3 woods or even irons off the tee there. Except when the wind is right, and the wife isn't looking.
  • Trev319
    5 Posts
    Thu, Jan 24 2019 1:05 AM
    This is so true it’s got to the point I’m not enjoying it. Cynical ploy to make more money.your guaranteed to lose balls whatever standard.yardages that are blatant lies.
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Jan 24 2019 8:49 AM

Trev319:
    This is so true it’s got to the point I’m not enjoying it. Cynical ploy to make more money.your guaranteed to lose balls whatever standard.yardages that are blatant lies.

For me, the yardages play very accurately.

I don't have a problem with Wolf Creek at all. It's actually a pretty easy course. I've had almost a dozen sub-30 rounds (from the back tees). And I've only lost 1 ball, which (IIRC) was the first time I played the course (or possibly the second time).

Nevertheless, it's a great course. Players just need to make good decisions and good shots. 

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Thu, Jan 24 2019 8:57 AM

Robert1893:

Nevertheless, it's a great course. Players just need to make good decisions and good shots. 

+1

...and much nicer than my reply would have been. 😂 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Jan 24 2019 9:07 AM

BPeterson8256:
    +1

...and much nicer than my reply would have been. 😂   

😀

RSS