Forums

Help › Forums

Mapping

Mon, Dec 17 2018 8:36 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • malini4life
    284 Posts
    Sun, Dec 16 2018 8:23 AM

Hi Guys, i have been mapping my irons/ball combinations from the fairway for years now, i use the usual BPB #12, Kiawah #1, etc. My question is, i am looking to map my clubs from the TEE, which is a good hole to do that at and also do you map it from the TEE to the fairway or do you map it from the TEE to a green( i.e Par 3), let me know guys. My distances are pretty good from the fairway but it seems like when i hit from the TEE, even allowing for a few yards for hitting from the tee, my distances are all over the place, any insight would be welcomed.

Thank You

Malin

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sun, Dec 16 2018 10:08 AM
    I’m surprise you’re asking for this kind of advice being a Champion. Anyway, I do my mapping on BPB first hole, back nine..or like you said, kiawah’s 1st hole, front nine. I do every single iron, wedges, even 3wood from Tee, and Fairway with different spins on the ball..very long process, but it helps.
  • malini4life
    284 Posts
    Sun, Dec 16 2018 10:52 AM

Just looking for a more accurate way to do it, is it better to hit from the tee to a green or is there no difference hitting to the fairway

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Dec 16 2018 1:13 PM

SlickHunter:
    I’m surprise you’re asking for this kind of advice being a Champion. Anyway, I do my mapping on BPB first hole, back nine..or like you said, kiawah’s 1st hole, front nine. I do every single iron, wedges, even 3wood from Tee, and Fairway with different spins on the ball..very long process, but it helps.

Exactly - I map from Kiawah #1 tee with all clubs (that will reach the fairway!) and use no spin, full back, and full top.  And, as you noticed, the distances from the tee usually vary from those on the fairway  for each club.

I do the same from the fairway to green, except for clubs that are too long from the furtherest part of the fairway.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, Dec 16 2018 6:42 PM

malini4life:

Just looking for a more accurate way to do it, is it better to hit from the tee to a green or is there no difference hitting to the fairway

No difference, you're just mapping how far the ball carries.  You just want to make sure there's no elevation and obviously no wind.   If you can get a 1-3 mph cross wind at 9 or 3 o'clock that is ideal. 

• malini4life
    284 Posts
    Sun, Dec 16 2018 6:57 PM

Thanks, good to know that there is no difference.

• malini4life
    284 Posts
    Mon, Dec 17 2018 8:51 AM

Hi Goldeena, i had a suspicion that would be true, i have mapped my irons from the fairway to the green, using BPB # 15, very flat green, no elevation, my numbers are pretty dead on. My problem is when i hit from a TEE to a green, so Par 3's, my yards are always all over the place, is there a specific Par 3 that i can map my irons too, one that has no elevation,etc, thanks for your feedback, new ideas and options are always welcomed here....LOL

Malin

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Dec 17 2018 10:17 AM

As noted, I map tee to fairway and fairway to green.  No need to map anthing more than carry on fairway to green since none of the greens are the same and the stated green speeds vary as well.  You have to learn the rollout for each green, and that is where notes come in.

No one will have a perfect predictor - only practice and experience will build a database of results - either in one's memory or computer!

Anyway you map, the practice is still useful in general to me, since there is so much to learn.

• PAGES
RSS