Hybrids for Legend?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Dec 15 2018 7:19 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 4:25 PM

fobby1980:
    In your opinions, what is the best ball for <400c?

Hands down, the 33 Callaway, IMO. I played that for many years until I got hooked on Nikes and subsequently, TMs. 

You will have enough consistent spin and distance with that ball to the point where you'll be able to control distances with partial spin and smart thinking. It all starts with learning the carry with a ball, not the total distance. Learn where it lands with each club before you go messing with spin.

Once you're confident you know that carry, look at what happens after the ball lands. The lower the wedge, the less rollout you get and that's where the partial spin comes in --controlling what happens after you land, especially with the longer irons. Don't fall in love with the spin, learn how to use it.

It isn't all about throwing darts. Stay within your equipment but know it inside and out with one ball.  ;-)

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 5:00 PM

YankeeJim:

fobby1980:
    In your opinions, what is the best ball for <400c?

Hands down, the 33 Callaway, IMO. I played that for many years until I got hooked on Nikes and subsequently, TMs. 

You will have enough consistent spin and distance with that ball to the point where you'll be able to control distances with partial spin and smart thinking. It all starts with learning the carry with a ball, not the total distance. Learn where it lands with each club before you go messing with spin.

Once you're confident you know that carry, look at what happens after the ball lands. The lower the wedge, the less rollout you get and that's where the partial spin comes in --controlling what happens after you land, especially with the longer irons. Don't fall in love with the spin, learn how to use it.

It isn't all about throwing darts. Stay within your equipment but know it inside and out with one ball.  ;-)

Just when I thought I had the Srixon figured inside out, now I have to repeat the process again 🤔

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 6:50 PM

+1 to everything YJ wrote. 

That's spot on advice. 

• KenBTEXAS
    284 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 8:02 PM

lonniescott711:
    Try a better ball

+1

if you stop and think about it .. how many times a round would you use the hybrid ?

don't trust the 3W on par 3's aim for the centre of the green and putt for par.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sat, Dec 15 2018 6:29 AM

All this talk of reaching par 3 holes reminds me of Oakmont and that horrendously long par 3. Now that was a crazy tee shot!

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sat, Dec 15 2018 6:47 AM

HackWilson1930:
    All this talk of reaching par 3 holes reminds me of Oakmont and that horrendously long par 3. Now that was a crazy tee shot!

my first ace their, had a two year break, returned to find Oakmont gone.....Shame!!

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sat, Dec 15 2018 9:32 AM

fobby1980:
    I’ve been utilizing the 4 wedges approach to great success; now I’m wondering do I need to replace a wedge with a hybrid for all those 240+ yds par 3s? I already have the lv73 Callaway Rogue 3W at 240 yds but I’m not very confident in its ability to hold the greens even with maximum BS.

if you are playing rather well with the Srixon, I would continue to do so because you know the ball quite well with your clubs and most courses and conditions will allow you to continue to play well with that ball... in the meantime save up for club upgrades... ball expenses once you start playing a higher end ball start to build up exponentially over time and it is far better to play the most reasonably priced ball for as long as possible.  

the challenges you will face will be more with longer courses and heavy winds like chambers bay and Erin Hills and possibly Congo's elevated greens or when you want a bit more distance on the BOP5 course, which is also a good way to work on dialing in your 3wd... that being said, if you are going to start going between different balls try not to have huge jumps in the meter speed as it will really mess with your timing and your play could become erratic.  

Since you are potentially looking for additional distance and a little extra spin I would recommend the L45 Legend Cally ball which has better distance factors and lower spin rating than the L33 Cally. 

The L33 Cally is a great value ball but in the instances you are looking to play at the moment with your current equipment it isn't going to be a noticeable difference from the Srixon you are already playing aside from the spin factor. 

The L45 Cally seems better suited for what you may be looking for...  the L33 will get knocked down in the wind more (especially headwinds) with a higher spin factor than distance factor.  Sometimes you can counteract it a little with how you play the spin on the ball.  Whereas the increase distance of the L45 and lower spin factor tends to allow it to cut through those headwinds better which is often what you will struggle with from the back tees on longer holes... 

Therein lies the challenge... you will find countless ways to play and multiple suggestions... but you need to find what works best for your style of play... and also fits in with your credit bankroll or what you are willing to spend and with whether you are hoping to play competitively or socially.  Everyone has their own goals so take your own interests and goals into mind as you contemplate the options.  

What worked for me, may not work for you. I have made adjustments as my game progressed... but still play various balls depending on the circumstances or course conditions.  

Best of luck!

• rl2203
    744 Posts
    Sat, Dec 15 2018 12:31 PM

I think the lvl33 Cally is the best ball regarding price/stats ratio. I also think the Tp5x (lvl81) is a very good ball at  a reasonable price.

Roland

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Dec 15 2018 7:19 PM

rl2203:

I think the lvl33 Cally is the best ball regarding price/stats ratio. I also think the Tp5x (lvl81) is a very good ball at  a reasonable price.

Roland 

Absolutely agree. I played the Callaway (Level 33) for a long time and then moved on to the TM (Level 81) ball and have played that ball ever since I switched to it. 

• PAGES
RSS