Help › Forums

Hybrids for Legend?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Dec 15 2018 7:19 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 8:30 AM

So I got bumped up to Legend after spending exactly 1 month at TM. No point in complaining about advancing too fast blah blah blah as I’m sure that topic has been beaten to death already. I’ve been utilizing the 4 wedges approach to great success; now I’m wondering do I need to replace a wedge with a hybrid for all those 240+ yds par 3s? I already have the lv73 Callaway Rogue 3W at 240 yds but I’m not very confident in its ability to hold the greens even with maximum BS. 

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 9:33 AM

fobby1980:

So I got bumped up to Legend after spending exactly 1 month at TM. No point in complaining about advancing too fast blah blah blah as I’m sure that topic has been beaten to death already. I’ve been utilizing the 4 wedges approach to great success; now I’m wondering do I need to replace a wedge with a hybrid for all those 240+ yds par 3s? I already have the lv73 Callaway Rogue 3W at 240 yds but I’m not very confident in its ability to hold the greens even with maximum BS. 

Try a better ball . The L33+ Cally should do you well and is a very good ball . Now if you are trying to play the RGs and what not then a more expensive ball may be needed . But give the Cally a try and see what you think .

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 9:54 AM

lonniescott711:
    Try a better ball

+1

Although I do own and have a Callaway 96 Hybrid in my bag. I have found it useful on certain longer par 3's. When playing best of par 3's an nothing else. The 2nd at Congressional, when the pin is on the left. The 3rd at RGS's, but a better ball would be the starting point.

Normally a driver and 3 wood otherwise.

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 9:59 AM

In your opinions, what is the best ball for <400c? I think that is the maximum amount I’m willing to spend on balls.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 10:06 AM

fobby1980:
    now I’m wondering do I need to replace a wedge with a hybrid for all those 240+ yds par 3s?

No. There aren't that many to make trading off a wedge for the HB worthwhile. Take the ball advice and you'll be just fine.  :-)

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 11:16 AM

fobby1980:

In your opinions, what is the best ball for <400c? I think that is the maximum amount I’m willing to spend on balls.

At 400 credits you have 3 choices :

L 47 or L48 Taylor Made TP5x > 400 creditsThese replaced the nike line and Im not sure how they play . When they first came out there seemed to be a problem with them . They played long off the tee but then came up short on approach shots. Not sure if any adjustments were made to them after the complaints . As nikes they were spot on but havent tried them again after the first introduction .

L51+ VolvikCrystal Ball > 400 credits : Never tried them but the specs look very good and may be worth trying . They have good spin and distance but be careful if using Cleveland wedges . Too much spin will send you back in time . LOL :-)

For 300 credits you can try the L35+ Cally ball which is what I currently use . It has good distance and the spin is not that bad either . Or there`s the L33+ Cally another good ball depending on how you play . Its only 250 credits .

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 11:36 AM

lonniescott711:
    fobby1980:

At 400 credits you have 3 choices : L 47 or L48 Taylor Made TP5x > 400 credits These replaced the nike line and Im not sure how they play . When they first came out there seemed to be a problem with them . They played long off the tee but then came up short on approach shots. Not sure if any adjustments were made to them after the complaints . As nikes they were spot on but havent tried them again after the first introduction . L51+ VolvikCrystal Ball > 400 credits : Never tried them but the specs look very good and may be worth trying . They have good spin and distance but be careful if using Cleveland wedges . Too much spin will send you back in time . LOL :-) For 300 credits you can try the L35+ Cally ball which is what I currently use . It has good distance and the spin is not that bad either . Or there`s the L33+ Cally another good ball depending on how you play . Its only 250 credits .

Thanks for the advice Lonnie

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 11:52 AM

Also one more question: does a ball’s distance rating affects approach shot distance? Meaning if I hit a 100yd wedge using a ball with a rating of 2 does it go 100 or 102 yds? Assuming flat green with no wind, no elevation and no BS. The consensus on this forum says it doesn’t but my own experience says it does. Which is right?

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 2:48 PM

I would not trade any club I have for a hybrid, and I just got bumped to Legend Nov 30.  

I like the mid-range Callys from L34 to L39.

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 4:16 PM

fobby1980:

Also one more question: does a ball’s distance rating affects approach shot distance? Meaning if I hit a 100yd wedge using a ball with a rating of 2 does it go 100 or 102 yds? Assuming flat green with no wind, no elevation and no BS. The consensus on this forum says it doesn’t but my own experience says it does. Which is right?

Your experience . So far no one has ever figured out the distances of the balls according to the spec ratings . But there will be some added distance due to club and course conditions as well as roll out . Thats why its important to learn and map your clubs for better play . Also find a good ball and stick with it to ensure more consistent play . 

• PAGES
RSS