Forums

Help › Forums

Merion #18 How Do You Get Close?

Fri, Feb 1 2019 1:47 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 4:54 PM

I would love some tips on how to birdie #18 at Merion. My specific issue is with the back pin location. It's not that the right pin is easy, but I at least know how to get close there with the perfect shot. My problem is getting close to the back pin. It is easy to make par with an up and down from behind the hole, but I would like to be able to make birdie without the lucky pitch or long putt. I will take any tips you are willing to give.

Thank you,  Brett

• conveyorguy
    776 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 5:08 PM

Praying ?

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 5:53 PM

Close your eyes and hit a random shot.  Works about as often as a perfect shot!

• MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 6:02 PM

i always think it runs out that green even with spin because your coming in with long iron....so with backspin i will tend to take of 6 or 7 yds off pin distance.....

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 8:01 PM

MGB01:

i always think it runs out that green even with spin because your coming in with long iron....so with backspin i will tend to take of 6 or 7 yds off pin distance.....

Honestly, sometimes I think I might be better off laying up and then punching or chipping!

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 9:36 PM

Short of the pin and right of it....let it roll down to it....tough shot regardless.

as  you know by now it rolls out if you go for the pin....

• bluey403
    1,526 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 1:24 AM

Did you actually know that the 2 pin positions we have at Merion are the exact same locations that  the USGA used in 2014 for rounds 3 & 4.

74 players made the cut and NOT ONE BIRDIE was recorded, that is 148 attempts and was agreed that it was the hardest hole ever played on the PGA tour

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 5:08 AM

bluey403:

Did you actually know that the 2 pin positions we have at Merion are the exact same locations that  the USGA used in 2014 for rounds 3 & 4.

74 players made the cut and NOT ONE BIRDIE was recorded, that is 148 attempts and was agreed that it was the hardest hole ever played on the PGA tour

That is some good stuff right there. It makes me feel way better about the rare bird that I make on the hole.

fatdan:

Short of the pin and right of it....let it roll down to it....tough shot regardless.

as  you know by now it rolls out if you go for the pin....

This is what I have been doing, and it looks like it may produce the best results. I was just hoping there was something I was overlooking. lol I don't think I have ever judged it just right. All my birds on this hole have come from a pitch or very long putt.
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 7:52 AM

bluey403:

That's an interesting Tidbit. Good Research

• conveyorguy
    776 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 8:12 AM

Remember watching...par for the course was the winning score...

• PAGES
RSS