Help › Forums

Legend - Equipment Needed

rated by 0 users
Fri, Dec 14 2018 2:23 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Sven0816
    11 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 7:53 AM

Woke to find an email congratulating me on my advancement to Legend just as I was starting to get some success at Tour Master.  Drat!  I'm concerned that my gear and game ain't gonna cut it at this new level.  I don't chip, pitch, or flop.

I'll do the surveys to get credits but what would you guys recommend I begin with?  Better balls, clubs, or strokes?

Thanks for whatever advice you offer.

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 9:06 AM

Sven0816:

I don't chip, pitch, or flop.

Take the time to learn all 3 of those shots and work on your putting. That will help you way more than any equipment change. 

Congratulations! 🎉 And good luck

Brett

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 9:43 AM

Sven0816:

Woke to find an email congratulating me on my advancement to Legend just as I was starting to get some success at Tour Master.  Drat!  I'm concerned that my gear and game ain't gonna cut it at this new level.  I don't chip, pitch, or flop.

I'll do the surveys to get credits but what would you guys recommend I begin with?  Better balls, clubs, or strokes?

Except for the putter, the equipment is fine for Legend tier. Yes, there is some better equipment out there, but your equipment is not going to prevent you from scoring well at the Legend tier. An excellent replacement for the putter would be the Versa (Level 70) putter. It will serve you well for a very long time. 

As noted in a post above, you need to practice the three shots you mention. Personally, around the green, I use the pitch about 90 to 95% of the time. With full backspin, it's an extremely effective shot for all yardages (but not necessarily all conditions). The wedges you have are very good.

You also should use the punch shot, if you're not already doing so. See this thread and accompanying chart for punch shots less than 50 yards:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/403805/2786352.aspx#2786352

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 9:43 AM

Sven0816:

Go play a stroke play practice round . Use the ball that you play with and see how well you do with the clubs you have . Replace the clubs that leave you short or cause you to struggle . As for the chip shot you can get away with not really using it . But you will need to punch , pitch and flop . You get those three down and its game on .

There`s the 12 Days of Christmas give away going on now . So you can get some help from one of the Santas just by asking for what you need . Look for the thread here in the forums and make a request . Take care and congrats on the move up to Legend .

• MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 9:45 AM

congrats on legend......your game is at the point now where you need a stock shot......like the pitch or flop......practice and note your distances....flop with full spin and without spin etc......also start to know your distances for putting.......putting is the most important part to practice.....start making more 10 ft putts will drop your average....

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 11:13 AM

Congrats on leveling up. I rarely use flop, only at 7 years and below. I mostly use pitch, limited punch, but a lot of full shots, 23 yards and over. Everybody’s is different on how to approach this game, you must be doing something very right, it gotten you this far. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 2:07 PM

Sven0816:

depends on your goals... or whether you enjoy playing with friends in AS games or want to try and be more competitive and play in ready go's.  you appear to have been doing the latter of the two...

I can just share what I have observed... ball cost can grow exponentially over time if you ever kept track of that you would start to have an idea... like you I played the L11 Srixon and still do at times on certain course settings and conditions...  however, when you are dealt heavy winds and elevated greens on something like chambers bay... you will start to see the limitations of your ball and equipment even with the highest end clubs available. 

I opted to play the most affordable ball for as long as possible and save up credits to eventually upgrade my clubs, because I felt doing so would allow me to play a more reasonable priced ball for a longer period of time.   how adept you are with a quicker meter can also help... the faster meter you are comfortable playing the more credits you can save...

those players that have played very similar clubs to yourself though, have tended to play a higher end ball if they wanted to try and be competitive straight away… but just keep in mind those cost eventually become more expensive and add up.

while it may sound silly at first consider the cost of 100 sleeves of balls at 750 credits is 75,000 credits and 50,000 if you played a 500 credit ball...

whereas 60 sleeves 180 credits and 15,000 credits in eventual club upgrades then maybe 40 sleeves at 400 credits is 41,800 credits, a savings of 33,200 credits or 8,200 credits for the lower costing ball...

for some, they appear to opt for a mix of these two options ...that being a slight ball upgrade to the L33 Cally which is a good value and bargain at 250 credits... this gives you some increased playability on the legend tees, but still allows you to save for future club upgrades without paying nearly as much for ongoing ball cost.

no reason you can't set incremental goals for yourself to work towards, rather than trying to do it all at once.... it tends to be a personal choice and decision based on your own goals with playing and with how easily it is to accumulate credits with videos and surveys or buy them if you choose to do so.  but, there are many options.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 5:35 PM

Congrats.  Everyone gets to Legend before they are ready.  I did it just 2 weeks ago.  It is a triple whammy, this level-up.  Faster greens, longer tees, and much stiffer competition in tourneys.  (Oh, and your average starts over!).

Your clubs look fine.  You just need to work on those approach shots since they will be the biggest challenge at this level.  That takes a lot of practice rounds and mapping of clubs. 

Pick a good hole in practice mode (I usually use Kiawah #1) and get the ball to within 50 yds of the hole.  Start with pitch shots.  Then move close for chip shots.  Save flops for last.

Do each of these multiple times, using the mulligan, adjusting the power.  Take notes.  FInd what works at various distances.  It really helps to find what carry you get for max power and a few lower - say 90%, 80%, 70%.

Now repeat this with full backspin.  Rinse and repeat.

Now repeat this from various rough lies.  Rinse and repeat.

Now repeat this from various lies in bunker.  R & R.

Now try the punch shots - review the referenced table to begin.  Punches are very useful within 40 yds.

It is a tedious and expensive process, depending on the ball used - but definitely use the ball you play normally so the results are useful.

You don't have to do it all at once, but make sure you record results for dings and very near-dings for reference.

This part is a lot like RL golf - practice, practice, practice - with interspersed purchases of golf balls!

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 7:29 PM
    All great advice, from excellent players. I can only add two things. 1) You are essentially learning an entirely new game. Treat it as such and you'll be fine. 2) (and definitely related), be patient. With 500 rounds to saturate, you will be at Legend a very long time (over 3000 rounds in my case, as I slog up the steep hill to Tour Legend). All the levels below Legend are basically preliminary stuff. The real game begins at Legend. Congrats, and enjoy the journey.
  • Sven0816
    11 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 2:01 PM

Thanks for your advice.  Much Appreciated.

• PAGES
RSS