Forums

Help › Forums

Short Greenside Bunker Shots

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 10 2019 8:22 AM (39 replies)
  • Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2018 6:05 PM

I sent a reply above one-half hour ago...this is a follow-up. 

You may have a convert. I picked up a 64 degree wedge in the pro shop, displaced my 60 degree wedge, and took it for walk...2 H2H matches. Used it twice, once from the sand (24 yds) once from the rough (41 yds). Never hit a 64 degree wedge in virtual golf before. The sand shot was within 2 yds of the pin, the shot from the second cut of rough was within 4 yds. Not having used a virtual 64 degree wedge before I was pleased with the results. Will try it some more later on.

Oh, and that Ping i25...Congressional, up hill shot, about 30 feet of elevation, 12 - 15 mph head wind, 189 yds shot from the fairway.  On the green, within 4 yds of the pin. Still like the club.

• HelmetHair
    6 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2018 8:12 PM

On those short greenside shots from the bunker I add about 8-10 yards from the 30/40, full backspin, aim left, and miss the ding right (open face) to land the ball softer. You'll learn that you can hit it hard and miss the ding way right to compensate. ( not having to figure tiny percentages of a clubswing). The straight flop shot is the line left of the ding, aim left and hit the ding to land it softer. This works with the starter wedge and ball just fine, or any other. 

Cheers

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2018 4:28 PM

To Messrs. Berryman, Robert1893, et al.....

A big thanks for your advice on the 64 degree wedge. I put it to the test today in quite a few H2H matches and it worked quite well. So the 60 degree wedge has been displaced by the 64 degree wedge.

Hopefully Mike Tomlin and the Steelers will find a replacement place kicker for Sunday’s game with the Patriots as easily as this transition was. Maybe you folks could call him? You are quite convincing.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Dec 17 2018 10:57 AM

the reason the 64 degree Cleveland is so handy is because of the following.

Can hit full shots from 54-65 yards.

Can hit punch shots from 25 yards to 53 yards.

It's your flop shots depending on rough etc from 6 yards to 21 yards.

and then the 60 degree wedge can handle the flops between 21 and 25.

as far as accuracy once you learn the 64 degree wedge you will not be talking about being with in 4 yards. you should consistently be within 1 yard with most any around the green wedge shot. including bunkers.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Dec 17 2018 11:09 AM

Actually, with the Cleveland wedge, you can punch down as low as 18 yards. Even at that distance, I think it's superior to a flop. 

I've holed a few from that distance, while leaving the remainder (typically) a foot or less away from the cup. 

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Mon, Jul 8 2019 3:34 PM
    HackWilson1930:

The one piece of advice that you might have not picked up on was getting rid of the hybrid in your bag and substituting another, third, wedge. Your current 3i and your hybrid give you two clubs with almost the same attributes. By this point in your playing life you are far more able to keep drives in the short grass than you did when you first started. Thus the hybrid is far less useful. For those times in the deep rough when the hybrid would be the go to club, pull out the 3i or 4i and punch. The third wedge, when mated to the other two, will give a much better array of full and punch shots to help your short game and ultimately lower your scoring average.

Distance plus half the elevation. Add 50%. Switch to punch mode. Pull back the meter to the appropriate %. Ding the meter. Should get you nestled up to the hole if it doesn’t drop. Hope this helped. :)
  • borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, Jul 8 2019 8:17 PM

Cicero733:

To Messrs. Berryman, Robert1893, et al.....

A big thanks for your advice on the 64 degree wedge. I put it to the test today in quite a few H2H matches and it worked quite well. So the 60 degree wedge has been displaced by the 64 degree wedge.

Hopefully Mike Tomlin and the Steelers will find a replacement place kicker for Sunday’s game with the Patriots as easily as this transition was. Maybe you folks could call him? You are quite convincing.

Not a good idea to get rid of the 60 degree wedge. That should be your go to club from around 64 to 65 yards up to 84 or so. Better idea is to drop the hybrid so you can have 3 optional wedges, And if you are a tour pro or below you can even drop the 3 wood and have 4 optional wedges. You would use those wedges a lot more than the hybrid. 

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Mon, Jul 8 2019 8:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Since my original query I no longer carry a hybrid and I have the Cleveland 56, 60, and 64 degree wedges in my bag and have them mapped in 5 yd increments from 105 yds to 20 yds. From 20 yds in I generally use the 64 degree wedge for flop shots. The arrangement has worked out extremely well. I recently experimented with the MD 56 degree wedge and wasn’t happy with the result. The meter speed was better, but the spin characteristics associated with the Cleveland wedges were lacking.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Jul 8 2019 9:04 PM

borntobesting:
    Not a good idea to get rid of the 60 degree wedge. That should be your go to club from around 64 to 65 yards up to 84 or so. Better idea is to drop the hybrid so you can have 3 optional wedges, And if you are a tour pro or below you can even drop the 3 wood and have 4 optional wedges. You would use those wedges a lot more than the hybrid. 

This is good advice.

You rarely need a hybrid - ever.

You can use these wedges to good advantage several times a round and these are what get you close to the hole which is what saves you strokes!!

Get your average distance to hole down to single digits from double digits in many cases!!

• SeveFrost
    1,489 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 4:52 AM

RSS