Forums

Help › Forums

Titleist Pro v (L40) vs Taylormade TP5X (L81)

Mon, Dec 17 2018 10:23 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • wigii
    43 Posts
    Sat, Nov 24 2018 9:30 AM

Hello WGT players can anybody justify if the Titleist Pro v is a better ball then then Taylormade TP5 . The Taylormade is 75 cents cheaper with .5 more spin.

• callaghan159
    6,220 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2018 9:55 AM

I use the L70 Pro V and love em. Tried a few TM balls when they came out, but like the Pro V better. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2018 11:09 AM

wigii:
    Hello WGT players can anybody justify if the Titleist Pro v is a better ball then then Taylormade TP5 . The Taylormade is 75 cents cheaper with .5 more spin.

I know Kavvz tested this exact same ball comparison you are asking about and he appears to have settled on the L81 TM.  You could ask him for specifics if you like but I know he has test and played both of these balls. They may each have their own advantages depending on the course and conditions.  

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2018 11:16 AM

I tried many of the Taylormade balls from level47 to level 80 to level 96 and then went to the Titlest Prov 1 level 57 ball.  I found that for whatever reason, the Titleist balls were way superior in that my approach shots began rattling the flagsticks.  Maybe its just the way I calculate distance, I'm not sure but the Titleist balls seem to be way more consistant. 

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2018 12:10 PM

I’ve tried most premium balls up to L93 titleist, TL L81, TM L99 etc. I will tell you though that L40-42 titleist are by far have the most forgiveness. I must’ve used at least 90 of the L42 titleist, and still have few of them. I switched to TM L99,  because I just like the super vapor, otherwise still L42 titleist.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2018 2:00 PM

wigii:
    Hello WGT players can anybody justify if the Titleist Pro v is a better ball then then Taylormade TP5 .

It depends on what you're willing to settle for. When the change was made I went from the 81 Nike to the 81 TM. Instant disappointment, the ball played like it was made of cotton. The carry distances were OK but headwinds knocked them down something fierce. Add backspin and you were shaking your head.

I played those balls for a month and then went to the closest equivalent to the 81 Nike- the 40 Titleist. The difference was -.5 in the spin, lesser for the Titleist. I played both balls for a month and came away knowing that the Titleist was superior on the approaches but lacking in the greenside control-i.e., pitches and chips.

I use the 81 TM now because I've adjusted to what it does on the carry, especially into headwinds. Club up and choke down is the new order of the day. The tradeoff is the control on greenside shots. The Titleist used to roll out where the TM stops. That's the .5 difference in spin and that is more important to me than long iron carry. I can club up to offset that but the control around the green is non-negotiable. Pitches and chips are exceptionally accurate with the 81TM, IMO.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2018 3:00 PM

The worst Titleist I’ve ever used was the L93. I’ve used 5 sleeves of them, very erratic in high wind. 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2018 6:05 PM

+1 on everything YJ wrote.

That's an excellent summary of the TM Level 81 ball. I love the ball, but you have to get used to its characteristics. And Jim did a fantastic job summarizing them. 

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Nov 27 2018 2:14 AM

As I've aged heaps the past year or so.  Meter speed now is most important.

Not fussed about the cost but I use the T Pro-V1 L90 .  Pretty good ball with a slower meter which is good for me.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2018 4:53 AM

It’s all about hitting that mark no matter what ball you use. Others do well with cheaper ball with faster meter, it’s what they use to. I used to do well with faster meter, but my eyes get tired so fast, I needed a slower meter, which is costly. 

• PAGES
RSS