Forums

Help › Forums

What is your Devil hole?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Dec 22 2018 5:49 PM (34 replies)
  • MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Nov 23 2018 8:13 AM

So many to choose from really.  Olympic #16 and Pebble #14 drive me nuts as it's so easy to fail to make birdie and par always feels like bogie on a par 5 hole.

As far as being  a hard hole to par then Merion #5 and #6 and Chambers #7 are high on my list.

DoctorLarry:

Similar problem on BPB #4!!

When the flag is at the front try hitting your second shot to the right of the green.  You're left with a punch 64 wedge shot that should get you birdie nearly every time.

If you get the back pin then going for the green in 2 can be worthwhile as you'll probably leave a pitch for your 3rd shot and will have a chance of holing it.  Front pin I pretty much never go for the green in 2 though.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Fri, Nov 23 2018 10:22 AM

Mine too.

Played a round at Merion last night and managed to par both 5 and 6 -- mainly because I came up short on the approaches to both and left myself a couple of easy flops for tap-ins. Going forward, that's going to be my strategy for both holes.

MainzMan:

So many to choose from really.  Olympic #16 and Pebble #14 drive me nuts as it's so easy to fail to make birdie and par always feels like bogie on a par 5 hole.

As far as being  a hard hole to par then Merion #5 and #6 and Chambers #7 are high on my list.

DoctorLarry:

Similar problem on BPB #4!!

When the flag is at the front try hitting your second shot to the right of the green.  You're left with a punch 64 wedge shot that should get you birdie nearly every time.

If you get the back pin then going for the green in 2 can be worthwhile as you'll probably leave a pitch for your 3rd shot and will have a chance of holing it.  Front pin I pretty much never go for the green in 2 though.

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Fri, Nov 23 2018 3:35 PM

any hole on painhurts

its unreal how many times you think you have hit one in close only for it to roll off the side or back of the green

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Fri, Nov 23 2018 11:03 PM

MainzMan:

That is now what I do if I can get the ball right of the green.  You are right, the shot from there is much easier than from behind the green!

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Fri, Nov 23 2018 11:11 PM

DoctorLarry:

MainzMan:

That is now what I do if I can get the ball right of the green.  You are right, the shot from there is much easier than from behind the green!

I play short of the bunker fronting the green for that pin.  Laying up to the listed yardage to the bunker without the elevation factored in leaves usually about 50 yards, which is a full ATV or Max wedge or Cleveland punch.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sat, Nov 24 2018 2:55 AM

Also we can't forget the dreaded Oakmont #9 in this game. Is there any harder approach shot?

• DavidTomsFanatic
    43 Posts
    Sat, Nov 24 2018 6:51 AM

Any Par 4 such that I can't easily reach in two (anything > 470 yards)

Other than that, my special Devil hole was the 7th at St. Andrews. It's a birdie hole for most, but before I got a better driver, I couldn't reach the main fairway so had to aim way to the left and hope it doesn't trickle into the rough, or worse, OB. (Even now I have trouble if it's a strong headwind). A par was an amazing score. I tamed it once - holing out an eagle from 184 yards from the rough a long time ago.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sat, Nov 24 2018 7:06 AM

MrFunnyWobbl:
    Also we can't forget the dreaded Oakmont #9 in this game. Is there any harder approach shot?

I totally forgot about Oakmont. 

I think the right pin location just past the bunker was absolutely the hardest approach shot. More than half the time, I gave up on even attempting to get a birdie. I would simply layup to a comfortable number and then attempt to punch it close for a short par putt. 

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Nov 24 2018 1:40 PM

Robert1893:

I totally forgot about Oakmont. 

I think the right pin location just past the bunker was absolutely the hardest approach shot. More than half the time, I gave up on even attempting to get a birdie. I would simply layup to a comfortable number and then attempt to punch it close for a short par putt.

I too forgot Oakmont, such a great course.

On that particular hole putting your second shot into the bunker was not a bad idea.  With such a steeply sloped green to play into you could be bold and rely on the ball running back down towards the hole if you were a bit too brave.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sat, Nov 24 2018 1:56 PM

MainzMan:

I too forgot Oakmont, such a great course.

On that particular hole putting your second shot into the bunker was not a bad idea.  With such a steeply sloped green to play into you could be bold and rely on the ball running back down towards the hole if you were a bit too brave.

For whatever reason, I only pulled off that bunker shot once. 

Oakmont was definitely a great course. It was probably my favorite. It's the only regular course I ever shot a sub-60 score on for 18. I shot a 59. Of course, I might have more sub-60 rounds if I started playing 18 holes on a regular basis. 

RSS