Help › Forums

Hello from ShortyDriver, the WGT avatar with no rear end

rated by 0 users
Sun, Nov 18 2018 12:14 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ShortyDriver
    120 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2018 5:00 PM

Hello to everyone belonging to WGT. I'm ShortyDriver (Jeff ) and yes my avatar has no rear end. Due to the fact that it was just handed to me on a platter. Compliments of the front 9 of Pebble Beach golf course. Quite an humbling experience as is this introduction of myself to the WGT community.

I am a new member and player of WGT as of the latter part of the month of October, 2018. Just wanting to say hello and give a brief background of myself, playing experience and enjoyment of WGT so far.

As mentioned above I started playing in late October of this year. While living in south central Indiana, but our family being located in Wisconsin. My first course selection came easy. I choose to play Erin Hills Golf Course, for two reasons mainly. The first being the tie that it is located just outside of Milwaukee, WI. The second reason being that it is the only course listed as easy to play. OK, being listed as easy was truly the first reason. Cant blame me for trying to sell that.

So ShortyDriver worked his way from Hack to Amateur on the front 9 of Erin Hills playing only practice rounds. On 10/29/2018 he reached the Amateur tier. Advancing to the Pro tier on 11/04/2018, after playing my required ranked rounds. Still having only played the front 9 of Erin Hills. Scores improving slightly. But not gaining any other game or course experience. 

So I decided that maybe it was time to venture out of the comfort zone a bit and play a new course. In hopes of bettering my game play I decided on a course that was listed as moderate. So then playing a few practice rounds of the front 9 on Pinehurst #2, moderate at 2 1/2. That went ok. Now decided to play St. Andrews front 9, moderate at 3. But when starting the game I forgot to change to a practice round. So we were into a ranked round on a new course. Went very well. Played this course for a couple of days, continuing to lower my score. 

I found St. Andrews to play easier than Erin Hills. Next step was on to Kiawah Island. Moderate at 2 1/2. No practice rounds. Did OK there as well. Managed to drop average score to 73.2. Starting to sneak up on the next tier as a Tour Pro. Now I'm thinking be careful. I know my game is not at that level yet. But ShortyDriver is in my ear, saying we are ready brother. Lets go for it. This is where the train wreck began to happen without either one of us realizing it.

Shorty and I agreed to play a 9 hole round on the front of Pebble Beach. A practice round. It is listed as a difficult course at 3 1/2. So the practice round ended with a score of 37. Hummmmmmm, maybe we are ready? OK Shorty, lets do this. Yep, here we are teed up on the 1st. hole of Pebble Beach, ranked round. 9 holes later we card a 40. The 2nd. round we card a 49. Shorty what's up man? I knew we were not ready for this. Back to a practice round of the front 9 at Pebble Beach. We shoot a 37. One more shot at this. Another ranked round. We are out with a 39.

Thank the Good Lord for tier saturation. We are hanging on to an average score of 73.2 by his grace only. Time to step back and take a look at our options here.

So I have decided it was time to say hello to the WGT Community and let you know a little about ShortDriver. Yes Pebble Beach handed us our rear ends on a platter.

So at this point I welcome any and all replys, opinions and advice. Friendship, conversation and lessons always welcome. I'm the type if we play a round of golf together and I'm getting beat by 20 stokes. I'll play to the end. Shake your hand, give you a chest bump and we live to loop another day. My play is for enjoyment and friendship. My competition is from within and against the course, not my fellow golfer.

I'd like to thank WGT and the WGT Community for your time and the enjoyment that has been given me so far. Looking forward to new friends and better play.

Tee it up!

God Bless,

ShortyDriver (Jeff )

Pro - Level 42 - 73.2 AVG.

jeffrey_stone123@yahoo.com

• Ladychipper
    22,673 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 11:34 AM

Welcome Jeff! 

We have all been through the ups and downs on WGT and all I can say is that it gets better with practice.  Watch some of the videos available and read others advice. 

It would also benefit you to join a Country Club because you can learn more from the members in the club plus you get a free Shot Pal and Putter Pal.  Each Country Club also has their own forum where you can ask questions and get replies. 

You may want to check out The Peoples Club.  We would be happy to help you out.

Here is a link where you can check us out on:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/508439.aspx

Happy Hitting and God Bless!

Marion

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 12:15 PM

Hey Shorty , That's a good first post there .  Forget about the practice rounds brother , Its all about ranked rounds and multi player games , Alt. shot is a lot of fun . I sent you a friend request and we should play sometime .  I would recommend joining a CC .  There are some pretty good ones out there .  Good Luck and welcome to WGT  

• amateur4sure
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 1:19 PM

Hi Jeff,

What a brilliant introduction you made, One, If not the best I have seen, Nice one Mate.

Marion and Casey were on the ball immediately and you would be wise to take either up on there offer,  Join a CC that will enable you, Not one that will disable your upcoming talent.

I`m with SEL and a brilliant CC it is but knowing Casey I would listen to him or Marion, Neither will lead you astray, If you are serious about wanting to improve your game and get inviolved more then look no further..

Welcome to WGT mate, Have fun and play with a smile..!

• ShortyDriver
    120 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 3:02 PM

Hello Marion,

Thank you for the welcome and invitation to become friends and join your CC. Both are greatly appreciated. I have already accepted your friend invitation. I will be taking a look at the link you provided in order for me to check out the CC. I do ask that you give me a little time here to sort through all the bells and whistles. Most importantly I just wanted to make sure I was able to those who have reached out to me so far. 

Thanks again and I will be in touch.

God Bless,

Jeff

• ShortyDriver
    120 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 3:08 PM

Hello Casey,

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for the quick reply not to mention the friend and CC invitation. I have already accepted your friend invitation. Both are greatly appreciated. I do ask that you will give me a bit of time to search through all of this as this is new and not sure of myself as where to best make contact with new friends. 

I will be in touch for sure as playing a round sounds great.

Thank you again for the quick contact and help.

God Bless,

Jeff

• ShortyDriver
    120 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 3:16 PM

Amateur4sure,

Thank you for all of the information and help you have offered so quickly. Greatly appreciated. I truly appreciate your response in reference to my introduction. I'm just a big kid at heart. But there is also a lot about me inside all of that. I want to thank you for the friend invitation and the CC as well. As I have mentioned to both Marion and Casey, I will be taking a good look at all of those and be in touch. I see the hardest thing now will be to figure out how not to feel as if I am letting someone down or hurting someone's feelings. I know this is not the case. But that's how I work. I guess I could just join them all, lol. I can see ShortyDrivers golfbag now, with all the CC badges hanging from it. Will sound like wind chimes in the wind of Pebble Beach. Seriously thank you again. I have accepted your friend request and look forward to getting to know you all better.

Thank you.

God Bless,

Jeff

• Beryman
    9,084 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 5:36 PM

nice introduction!!

welcome to WGT Jeff...enjoy

• BIGAL123
    200 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 5:54 PM

Welcome Jeff.

Hope you enjoy the ride.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 9:13 PM
    Superb introduction Jeff, so welcome to the game.

A great choice joining TPC, and the members will offer some great advice.

My only recommendation is to have fun and play all the courses and learn different shots, including punch which many newer players ignore.

Blue skies and tailwinds. Alan

• PAGES
RSS