Help › Forums

question regarding spin and putting

rated by 0 users
Sun, Nov 18 2018 8:55 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • krskfr
    458 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2018 2:10 PM

How goes it mates, just curious if someone can delineate for me the subtleties of putting with a ball with a spin rating of 5 rather than 4? I used to use the NIKE RZN Black balls for many years (that had i think 4.2 spin), and now that theyre gone i've been trying out some Titliest balls that have a spin rating of 5 - alot of my putts have been lips outs or just short of the cup ( i guess due to this increased spin), am i imagining this difference, or is it legit. Cheers, and thanks for your input.  

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2018 2:45 PM

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2018 3:15 PM

Ball spin has no effect when putting . Your missed putts are due to either hitting with too much power or not enough power . Putters dont generate spin only roll so unless you are trying to use a wedge on the greens there is no spin .

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2018 10:12 PM

TopShelf2010:
    I was always under the impression that once on the green and putting, all balls were created equal?
    +1!

The only difference between balls on the green is putter characteristics like precision or meter speed!

• sodakknight
    700 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 4:19 AM

alosso:

The only diference between balls on the green is putter characteristics like precision or meter speed!

Maybe my imagination but I thought that the distance characteristic of the ball could affect putts also....a little more distance of a different ball, gives it a little more bounce off the clubface which makes a a little more speed, hence a lip out.

I could be wrong.....

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 4:23 AM

Hi krskfr,

Don't mind the "false" Info, To cancel out the extra spin you are getting on the greens with your putts just use FTS like I do!, Problem solved & happy to oblige! ;)

Ken

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 8:02 AM

sodakknight:

alosso:

The only diference between balls on the green is putter characteristics like precision or meter speed!

Maybe my imagination but I thought that the distance characteristic of the ball could affect putts also....a little more distance of a different ball, gives it a little more bounce off the clubface which makes a a little more speed, hence a lip out.

I could be wrong.....

The only time speed will affect the putt is due to elevation . Uphill putts require more power or the putt will slow down and come up short . Downhill putts require less power as the putt will speed up and cause a lip  out or go long . But all balls putt the same and the balls distance spec does not come into play when putting .

Also you cant adjust ball spin when on the green , even if using a club other than the putter . Once on the green the ball spin option is not usable .

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 10:46 AM

thanks for you gracious replies fellas, really interesting perspectives here. I personally believe that differences in spin does alter how you set up a putt. A great analogy would be using the treads on a tire of a vehicle, if you have bald treads versus a new tire, the new tire would grip the road better and react quicker whilst turning or braking, versus a tire with bald treads would take longer to adjust to your commands. That's how i see it pertaining to what ought to happen in reality versus a video game. Lol. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2018 11:02 PM

Believe what you want, but the ball does not care.  It goes where it wants, even if you put snow chains on it!!

• PAGES
RSS