Forums

Help › Forums

Shots being short for no reason

Tue, Jun 30 2020 4:38 PM (21 replies)
  • catfishingdude
    37 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2018 4:00 AM

156 yrd distance, 160 yrd club used ,hit at 95% with a -2 lower hole than ball and the shot come ups 20 yrds short? 18 holes and the shot comes up 17 of the 18 holes short and the one that didn't was 165yrd distance and up hill +24 and hit with a 190yrd club at 90% and it goes 40 yards past the hole.  and only thing that has changed is i moved up from master tot tour master. same clubs and balls. If its this stupid moving up im done with worring about stroke play!

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2018 8:10 AM

catfishingdude:

156 yrd distance, 160 yrd club used ,hit at 95% with a -2 lower hole than ball and the shot come ups 20 yrds short? 18 holes and the shot comes up 17 of the 18 holes short and the one that didn't was 165yrd distance and up hill +24 and hit with a 190yrd club at 90% and it goes 40 yards past the hole.  and only thing that has changed is i moved up from master tot tour master. same clubs and balls. If its this stupid moving up im done with worring about stroke play!

There are shots that you shake your head, and wonder. Remember that hole, and maybe go back to it, and see if if does the same thing. Some holes are playing shorter or longer that what hole info states. Tiering up doesn’t and shouldn’t affect your clubs, ball performance.

There are times I misread the wind direction. Instead of headwind, I read it as tailwind, thus puts me way short.but yeah, remember those holes, and make adjustment.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2018 8:55 AM

SlickHunter:
    There are shots that you shake your head, and wonder. Remember that hole, and maybe go back to it, and see if if does the same thing. Some holes are playing shorter or longer that what hole info states. Tiering up doesn’t and shouldn’t affect your clubs, ball performance.

We call them WTF shots. Lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:14 AM

catfishingdude:
    156 yrd distance, 160 yrd club used ,hit at 95% with a -2 lower hole than ball and the shot come ups 20 yrds short?

Your backswing % is not proportional to the distance of the club. 95% of 160 with straight math would be 152. But, since the numbers aren't proportional, I could see where that shot came up 20 yds short, especially if you didn't ding it and wind was involved.

Something else that changes when you move up is the part of the game that needs to see what you do as a TM. It's like starting over where that part of the game is concerned and you need to establish your new tier profile.

That's also why your average will be all over the place until you get enough rounds in to saturate it--the game is checking you out as a TM and making your game miserable (for now.) Stick with it, it'll get better.

And when that's over you get to go through it all again as a Legend.  :-)

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, Nov 3 2018 5:47 PM

You did not mention wind - which can easily make that much difference.  Also, are you referring to the listed club yardages or distances you have mapped through practice?  Practice is the only way to determine how far a particular ball will go with a particular wind and meter percent.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Sat, Nov 3 2018 6:53 PM

Hi

DonCaron:

SlickHunter:

We call them WTF shots. Lol

A lot of truth in there. Always check the distance too, on a lot of holes the posted distance can be a lot more (or less ) than it really is. 12th at Chambers Bay for example.

Cheers

Rich

Classic WTF WGT The 5 th at St Andys. A dinged 6 iron (180yds) with 75% bspin.

Call me a cab please Caddy!

• BOZskills
    392 Posts
    Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:44 PM

This is my first post. Like to add my two cents. No one mentioned ball spin and ball spin rates as this affects the distance also.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sat, Nov 3 2018 11:13 PM

You don’t mention anything about wind speed and direction or  the amount of spin used. Both of those factors make a big difference in shot distance.

• poppagolf
    55 Posts
    Sun, Nov 4 2018 1:30 AM

Go to the practice area and play shots with various amounts of spin,

spin is great for driving,but not so good for iron shots when it comes to accurately judging distance,try one dot of spin,then two,then three and so on adjusting your distance as you take mulligans,on most courses this will work but kihawa island is a different ball game sometimes

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sun, Nov 4 2018 1:44 AM

catfishingdude:

156 yrd distance, 160 yrd club used ,hit at 95% with a -2 lower hole than ball and the shot come ups 20 yrds short?

Do you mean something like that, which takes your ball away destroying your round and leading you to wd??

Naaaaa....you are imagining things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEkK4bUSUaM

RSS