Help › Forums

Best WGT Player of all Time!

Sun, Jul 2 2023 5:04 AM (1,956 replies)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 1:12 PM

gonfission:

GREAT on Dan for that... Looks like the tide has indeed changed. LMAO

Just for the record, HK doesn't bother me in any way, in fact, when I have time I like to mess with him as much as he likes to mess with us! LOL....in fact it is one of the reasons I stick around until I get my eye sight fixed w/ surgery.....

Also I am more than happy to help "anyone" here when I can, which isn't often, and "never" when it comes to advice on playing this game well....LMAO

If you want to get me hot, just start "another" cheater/shooting low scores thread, that works "EVERY" time! LMAO

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:17 PM

NVM.  brain fart.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:28 PM

HenryKawa:
    Flame sensor... okay.  I thought Dan was referring to the thermocouple. 

You have one or the other - they perform the same function, just in different ways.  The flame sensor uses a small electrical current and the thermocouple measures temperature.  They both need cleaning maintenance.  All of my gas furnaces and water heaters have had a thermocouple.

Congrats on getting that working - a lot of incentive in the freezing temps!

• HenryKawa
    1,720 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:31 PM

DoctorLarry:

HenryKawa:

You have one or the other - they perform the same function, just in different ways.  The flame sensor uses a small electrical current and the thermocouple measures temperature.  They both need cleaning maintenance.  All of my gas furnaces and water heaters have had a thermocouple.

Congrats on getting that working - a lot of incentive in the freezing temps!

Okay, thanks Larry.

• gonfission
    2,227 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 4:55 PM

BogeyOne:
    Must be electric. Some say they are designed to burn out like light bulbs. 

Well, I, I just don't know what to say here, so, I'll say it...

Electric water heaters DO NOT NEED an exhaust port, chimney or other type!

IT'S ELECTRIC!!!

Moving on.... LMBO bogey the plumber... :-))

HenryKawa:

You replaced the thermocouple Henry. As Dan said so succinctly, you can clean those SOMETIMES. It is an amalgamated mush of special chemicals to keep burning at a very low temperature, only used to ignite the flame bank when called upon by your thermostat. Also to shut off the gas valve inside the valve to not allow gas to keep infiltrating into your house, and potentially explode, when it shuts off.

The flame sensor is something completely different, and should only be cleaned with WD40 and soft towel as to NOT SCRATCH the glass front. Oil burners have those types.

The gas furnaces flame sensors can not be cleaned as they are an enclosed part onto itself.

As for as the water heater Henry, if you can afford it, update it to gas, propane, what ever it is you use. Sell the other one. All the new gas is no longer vented through "B Vent", the 3 inch metal piping. If yours is only a year old, it should have the 3 inch PVC going into the chimney. Leave it, it is high efficiency...

3 inch PVC is now used, as the exhaust heat is very cool now. One thing to remember about the PVC Henry.

When it leaves the house it must be above the ground level by 3 feet, when the 90 degree bends are put on to keep the rain & snow out of them. Here in the U.S. anyway. This makes sure snow does not cover the intake or exhausts.

If you get large snow drifts, raise them higher, for safety. Heat is no longer an issue to have them above the roof line. The old "B vent" has to go up. Hot stuff.

Be very wary of the ONE PIECE intake & exhaust combination, on the out side of the house. It looks clean, however one of my customers had and 8 foot drift on the end of her house, covering it.

The heat melted the snow near the vent. Fire dept. came down to shovel it out for her. The heater would not start again, A plumber was called in, he couldn't get it started. It was a new system. Old plumber...

When the exhaust melted the snow, & it was like an igloo, the vents behind the face of the nice looking shield were frozen. When I lit the furnace it would run, until I put the door back on the furnace. Then a vacuum would suck the face of the door in, causing no oxygen to get to the flame bank from outside through the intake pipe. The furnace tried to pull it through the door.

That was the give away to me, that there was an obstruction in the intake.

A hair dryer fixed the problem by heating the ice behind the face of the venting thingamabobber...

Short of the matter, Change it all out Henry to new high efficiency. You'll never have another worry while on vacation. To me, that's money well spent brother.

Joe's DYI home builder extraordinaire...... With savior faire...

I'll be here all week

-----------------<*{{{{{-(

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 5:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7AKPgBB_R4

this is what I clean w/ steelwool, whatever it is lol

• opyeuclid
    6,704 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 5:28 PM

gonfission:
    Joe's DYI

Dear Joe , My Dishwasher is old and no longer funchun,s in a normal way , When I first got her it was easy to open the door and load , Mind you I would prerinse the pots and pans , some times with a heavy rubbing , After all the years I think its time for a new one , as this one no longer does the job . 

OPY

• gonfission
    2,227 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 5:31 PM

That is the flame sensor, on newer high efficiency stuff Dan. Being we are dinosaurs, we  tend to re-purpose stuff, more than replace it.

The small part that actually keeps the pilot burning is the thermocouple.

Ah, the good old days when you walked into an automotive store, and explained what sound your vehicle was making, and the guy would walk out back and grab the part you needed, Are long gone. SIGH

fatdan:
    Just for the record, HK doesn't bother me in any way, in fact, when I have time I like to mess with him as much as he likes to mess with us! LOL....

I think we all are guilty, or pleasurably, involved in that one Dan. Depending on your perception of course. LMAO

Henry is the best sport this site has seen in years...

fatdan:
    Also I am more than happy to help "anyone" here when I can, which isn't often, and "never" when it comes to advice on playing this game well....LMAO

I have seen many a weary traveler helped by Dan, in my short time here. Just get past that crust, and there is a learned gentleman to be found. :-))

Perception is everything. Dan is a black & white guy, with no sugar added, mostly. I can deal with that, better than the daily BS I receive from all fronts around me daily.

• gonfission
    2,227 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 5:37 PM

opyeuclid:
    Dear Joe , My Dishwasher is old and no longer funchun,s in a normal way , When I first got her it was easy to open the door and load , Mind you I would prerinse the pots and pans , some times with a heavy rubbing , After all the years I think its time for a new one , as this one no longer does the job . 

Oh man!

Are you talkin about your girlfriend Opy, or the dinosaur under the Flintstones (YOUR) counter?

Either way, you may want to upgrade. I know a sweet Thai chick on the hunt... No need for pre-rinsing either... grrrrowl

Man you slay me...

Hey I stall haven't sent stuff out yet, so hold tight.....

• craigswan
    30,834 Posts
    Tue, Mar 5 2019 5:36 AM

My fellow wgt members .

"Will you please send someone to mend the garden path. My wife tripped and fell on it yesterday and now she is pregnant."

"Also causing me to hurt my ankle very badly when i put my foot in the hole in my back passage."

"Please send a man with clean tools to finish the job and satisfy the wife."

RSS