Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Wed, Apr 4 2018 12:24 PM

Well...it's pretty simple actually:

In a total of 23901 putts, i have 13.106 birdies aka ~54,9%.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Apr 4 2018 12:50 PM

In current news today:

'Watch Jordan Spieth hit it close skipping the ball across the pond on No. 16.'

'He made a mockery of the game...by having more amazing skills..'

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Wed, Apr 4 2018 1:15 PM

Ok, gotcha, thanks.  Better wording for my original post would be the accumulative effect of all %s which results in how many shots under par we'll average per 9 or 18 (shown in the links) . I.e, while your 54.9% is an amazing number (crazy high!) you obviously won't be winning or even placing in many ready go's/tournaments if you finished at -9 every 18 holes.

We just conceptualize the terminology a bit different.

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Wed, Apr 4 2018 2:29 PM

11BC2:

Ok, gotcha, thanks.  Better wording for my original post would be the accumulative effect of all %s which results in how many shots under par we'll average per 9 or 18 (shown in the links) . I.e, while your 54.9% is an amazing number (crazy high!) you obviously won't be winning or even placing in many ready go's/tournaments if you finished at -9 every 18 holes.

Your example is a bit arbitrary. 55% in career does not mean you make a -9 in 18 holes. It's just a percentage of the whole play. I bet when you started to play u had a lot par rounds before learning the game.

:)

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Wed, Apr 4 2018 2:42 PM

@Yiannis

You have an excellent point.  Speaking for myself my first 350-400 rounds were almost exclusively UEL.  Sooooooo many triple and quadruple bogeys lol ;), not to mention my sand/scrambling stats were around 40% afterwards.  And of course, much further putts then normal rounds. 

Again, for anyone curious how the putt stats work, take a look at the Andyson post on the following page http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/79327.aspx .  These putts would not be a measure of birdies (as my 1st post stated), but rather, a combination of ALL puts for any score, broken down into their prospective category.  The graph in the link is a good measuring stick, so to speak.

@ Petra

Good points.  A nice work around is to make a spread sheet ;).  If you take a look at my video at the 1:45s mark and pause it you can see what I'm talking about:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_baxVwqoQXMEwW-TIVO9bA

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Apr 4 2018 5:44 PM

True, but that 54.9% number is awesome, and a testament to both your putting and approach skills.

My own number comes to about a third of yours: 10,376 birdies in 55,425 putts for 18.72%, which is probably a whole lot more typical. And of course, in both our cases, some of those birdies came from off the green.

Yiannis1970:

11BC2:

Your example is a bit arbitrary. 55% in career does not mean you make a -9 in 18 holes. It's just a percentage of the whole play. I bet when you started to play u had a lot par rounds before learning the game.

:)

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Wed, Apr 4 2018 11:19 PM

The way i see it, you can't extract a safe conclusion from the stats. As for putting for instance, if you want to know where you stand, you can take personal notes for the last year or two. Furthermore, as Bill says, some small perventage in birdies, eagles or pars come from shots out of green. Another element that has to be taken in account is the number of completed rounds. For instance, when i play a round and playing bad or wgt does it's own, i won't complete the round. In that case stats do not count.

It's a more academic discussion and less a safe guide for some conclusions in putting ability because if you do some elementary math calculations based on wgt's stats, you 'll see that numbers do not match at all!!

For example, if you see total putts and calculate taking in account eagles, birdies, pars, bogeys, double bogeys, others, you ''ll notice that there are several thousand ''invisibles'' putts...LOL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 5 2018 5:46 AM

Yiannis1970:
    For example, if you see total putts and calculate taking in account eagles, birdies, pars, bogeys, double bogeys, others, you ''ll notice that there are several thousand ''invisibles'' putts...LOL

Any idea why this is so? I have over 25,000 putts that are left over after you subtract the listed results. My only guess would be those are from the courses that don't affect the average, like the Par 3s and 5s.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Apr 5 2018 7:18 AM

bunber:

finn the learn it but now a get more distance to rage

Huh?

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Thu, Apr 5 2018 12:23 PM

YankeeJim:

Yiannis1970:

Any idea why this is so? I have over 25,000 putts that are left over after you subtract the listed results. My only guess would be those are from the courses that don't affect the average, like the Par 3s and 5s.

Have none whatsoever Jim. Good guess though...i will try a par 3-5 round and will see if anything changes.

RSS