Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • peterrichter1
    551 Posts
    Wed, Jan 9 2013 4:10 AM

What would be very helpful if we could view a sidelong view of the putt. We get a back and front view but no side view. What about it WGT.

Peter Richter

• Waquoitwonder
    66 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2013 2:27 PM

Great tutorial! One question: There are bars on either side of the "dinger" for putting that move in towards the center or "shrink" towards the center hit line when I have calculated the distance I want to hit my putt. Why? What is the significance and does it matter if I wait until they stop "shrinking" towards the center?

• wnitro1
    1 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2013 3:56 PM

I haven't tried this yet but will right now, this really helps and makes sense. TY nivlac

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:29 PM

Waquoitwonder:

Great tutorial! One question: There are bars on either side of the "dinger" for putting that move in towards the center or "shrink" towards the center hit line when I have calculated the distance I want to hit my putt. Why? What is the significance and does it matter if I wait until they stop "shrinking" towards the center?

HIT IT QUICKER THE BETTER LOL THATS ALL I KNOW

• WilliamRNewmanJr
    4,031 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:18 PM

peterrichter1:

What would be very helpful if we could view a sidelong view of the putt. We get a back and front view but no side view. What about it WGT.

Peter Richter

I have to agree with Peter on this. As we walk around the Greens to see our shots to be made to the cup or just off the green, this would be a Valuable tool to have, just as we do in Real Life Game of Golf!

Thanks Peter for bringing this up in here!

William

• WilliamRNewmanJr
    4,031 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:32 PM

Waquoitwonder:

As for the Shrinking goes, I have done many things from the beginning of shrinking till it stops shrinking. Here is what I found out:

1. The Wider it is when you start the swing of putter, the more forgiving it is. for example; At its widest setting I try to use it on lagging [as in using the slopes breaking hard toward your ball or away from you. / \ If the slope is steep the white dots moves faster.] So you want it to LAG {as we call it here} you would want to hit the ball at a point in the shade area of the DING Center and make the ball travel up into the slope to break to the cup.
    2. In between shrinking you get different results on your ball movements.
    3. At the final of shrinking it is not as forgivable as if at its widest. But time and patients on learning this is crucial to gaining Ranks. If you got say 5 feet and its really tough straight putt it, then us veterans waits till the shrinking is done then we stop it at a precise point in shade area to make the ball do what we want it to do. WARNING: This takes lots of Practices to get this part in. Even my Friends who are Masters and Legends level will tell you: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE Makes better golfing Players!!!

I hope I brought some Clarity to this subject!

Regards,

William

• 14tommk
    11 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:47 PM

I just put little marks on my monitor, one half way then one foot each side. So for 15ft 7ft is half way. so what ever the footage or yardage is I can see how much I need. 50yds 1/2 is 25 . 12ft putt is 3 marks from 15 ft. of course u have to figure in slope, speed and all that. Pretty accurate

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Sat, Jan 26 2013 2:42 AM

14tommk:

I just put little marks on my monitor, one half way then one foot each side. So for 15ft 7ft is half way. so what ever the footage or yardage is I can see how much I need. 50yds 1/2 is 25 . 12ft putt is 3 marks from 15 ft. of course u have to figure in slope, speed and all that. Pretty accurate

First of all you should have explained one thing before giving that information.

The yardage also depends on what club you are using for that 25 yard increment.

What you have just described is for Standard green speed using the 15 foot scale on the meter. Using the same green speed the halfway point on the 30 scale is 15.0 feet.

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Mon, Jan 28 2013 5:13 AM

wat i did n i think is good idea to rent putter pal for 10 cred then copy it with tape above it or below it then u have it for free 

• RJThom
    115 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 8:26 AM

This really helped me a lot. It is definitely worth the read. I picked up many tips using these methods. Thanks!

RSS