Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 10:30 PM

Tournament greens are wickedly fast. You need to use much less power than the displayed distance. It is a bit over the top though. You hardly nudge the ball and it rolls across the green. Have never seen such behaviour on a real golf course.

• hoochlah
    81 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 11:00 PM

i found tournament greens to be very close to very fast greens with one exception - if u dont get your line right or thereabouts in tournament it will fly past - if the line is right it will lag past maybe 3 feet or drop in the hole. i found more give on very fast greens regarding the line you have to take. just what i have observed so far..

• Sirch70
    11 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 1:02 PM

I agree and putt the same way, after calc the putting distance. I also do this with all my other clubs allowing for wind cond. I gave up on moving the targets long ago it just will not work for me.

• nannybear
    4 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 12:22 AM

hello:)

can anyone tell me what yellow/orange means?  ive been trying to find it but, i cant.  ive found it on several greens and always around the cup (about a few feet to a yard or 2)... also, what do i do when i get a crappy camera angle?  it is very difficult to see thru the ground to see my putt (sometimes i cant see at all).  i try to putt from the front view but, ime just not good enuff to to do so.  anyone else having these issues? 

one more thing...when playing a tournament the greens discription just says tournament. what speed is that?  if the answers to these questions are somewhere at the site or forum please, let me know so i dont bug peeps too much.

thanks ever so much for any help y'all can give me.

dueces:)

(peace out)

annabelle

• loveclose
    269 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 9:46 AM

Just wanted to add some rather belated thanks for this thread - having been away for some while, I've just come across it and it's instantly been a great help.  Instead of my usual 2 pars per nine, plus the inevitable few double bogies, I've just had six pars (ok, still with the odd double....)

• BearsJState
    10 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 6:34 PM

I am not sure if this is the right area for this post but the most frustrating thing with putting is the short, breaking putts.  It is almost impossible to make some of these putts.  How do folks deal with these severe breaks? 

• Alimx1
    10 Posts
    Sun, Sep 12 2010 9:24 AM

Hey I just bought a new putter with different distance pull backs on the club, was wondering if I could get some advice on it.

spider - 25ft,50ft,100ft

2 pull backs on 25ft which is 10ft per pull back plus 5 after 2nd.

5 pull backs on 50 ft so that would be 10ft?

judging by the pattern 10ft is each pullback overall, I havent tested 100ft to see if its 10 pullbacks...

• djtolles
    14 Posts
    Sun, Sep 12 2010 5:51 PM

you are getting the idea :)

I highly suggest putting tips tuturiol to all by NIVIAC; found under FAQs in forum....EXCELLENT piece!!!  Each putter has its ranges assigned to the club.  Pick the range you are working with; then count the each pullback movement until you reach the end.  Now, divide the number of pullback movements into the range....so yes, 5 pullbacks on 50ft would be 10ft for each movement. 

Your description for  2 pullbacks on 25ftwhich is 10ft per pull, pls 5 after the 2nd pullback.  You are looking at either 2 & 1/2 divided into 25ft = 10 OR it is acutally 3 pulbacks which would = 8.3ft, call it 8ft per pullback. you'll have to experiment by putting into a open area of your practice green.  I had a similar thing with my Rosewood putter.

Originally, i thought i counted 2 & 1/2 for 15ft which = 6.  Then I went to 30ft and counted 6 which = 6.  Then I went to 45ft and counted 5 which =9.....90/7.5 = 12..150/10 = 15...300/10 =30.  When I was looking at the numbers I realized that the 2 & 1/2 for 15ft had to be wrong because you wouldn't have two ingriments of 6 when all the others were spread out by ingriments of 3...6ft - 9ft - 12ft - 15ft - 30ft....so i decided 3 pullbacks for the 15ft which = 5; giving me a spread out range of 5-6-9-12-15-30.

Of course you have to adjust those ranges to the green speed you are playing.  Hope this helps.....And again suggest Putting Tips by Niviac for all players; it will help twik you putting game; it did for me.. :)

• loveclose
    269 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 10:05 AM

This thread, plus the other one on chipping (or should I say pitching and punching) around the greens has probably knocked 10-15 shots off my game.....

Ok, I'm no expert, despite my 'pro' level I feel a complete hack somedays.  I had been shooting well over 40 for nine holes worth, and getting more and more frustrated....

In two days, I've now been going sub 40 for nine holes worth, and have gone to +2 for eighteen on the big K.

Like I said, not quite the -10's of this world, but a little knowledge and know-how gleaned from these help threads has been so helpful.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:20 AM

annabelle-It sounds like you're describing the colored grid lines on the green. They are how you determine which way the slope of the greens go. The dark end is the top of the slope and the light end is the bottom. The more orange/yellow it is the steeper the slo[pe.

On the crappy camera angle the only thing you can, and should, do its look at the putt in reverse view. This gives you a straighter look, just don't forget you're looking backwards. 

The Putting Tips is what you're looking for over there-------> in the FAQs. While you're there peep the Chip and Pitch Tips. Both of those primers were written by the dinosaurs here and are must reads. GL  :-)

RSS