Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • shm78
    2 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 10:39 AM

Can't thank you enough for this explanation. I was disgusted with my putting but after reading this and testing it out I feel much better about putting. Putts that I was leaving woefully short or blasting by the hole are now settling in at the foot to foot and a half range. Thanks again.

• deepaksingh
    1 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 1:49 PM

wow i am good...:)

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:11 PM

There's no substitute for a clear ruler and a calculator, imo.

Anyone that can do a little math can park 75-150 ft putts within 6 ft of the hole pretty much every time.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 10:58 AM

All the help in the world won't do you good on St. Andrews( cow pasture I think Bobby Jones called it) and Oakmount(greens very hard to put on). Meter speed is also a hiccup

Well keep swinging anyhoo!

• Trickaldinho
    1 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 3:44 PM

Brilliant tip's. bring on the dough.

Trick.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Thu, Aug 19 2010 10:38 PM

Distance control for when the green speed is one you're not used to playing on:

Very Slow: 80%

Slow: 90%

Standard: 100%

Fast: 110%

Very Fast: 120%

Tournament: 130%

Now, what you do is divide the percentage given here for the green speed you're playing by the distance you have to the pin plus or minus the adjustment for elevation, and that's what you have to hit.

Example: Pro's play fast green speed.  Say we have a 20 foot putt that's 3 inches uphill.  23 ft of power, but wait!  Fast greens mean putts roll 110%, so divide the 23 ft by 1.1.  for the less math abled, that's 20.9 feet.

• djtolles
    14 Posts
    Wed, Aug 25 2010 3:40 PM

EXCELLENT Tutorial

Thank you for the obvious great amount of time and effort to publish such a FINE piece.  This piece is definately the type of mentoring I love to see.  You can certainly be proud for you effort.  Thank you VERY much.  It would be GREAT if WGT formed a Tutorial Section for such pieces written by members.  I would vote yours to be the sections 1st entry.  Again THANK YOU!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 25 2010 4:04 PM

If you like that dj, check out the Chip and Pitch Tips. That was written by a long time player here, iconian.

• PingThis1
    8 Posts
    Wed, Aug 25 2010 8:30 PM

super tutorial.....but still wondering why the meter speeds up when finishing a putt, when it should by a constant smooth swing, not a jerky halt to it...when trying to hit greenline/perfect putt

• Deccy180
    233 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 11:19 AM

like the tutorial really help for, but still dont explain this

had a 42ft birdie putt on the 5th with a 5downslope hit it 30ft max on the bar on tourament greens and ended up 40ft pass the hole was well p*ssed off with it had can it go roughly 90ft?? ended up double bogeying the hole and bogeying the next 3 holes after lossing intrest :-) stopped and got round -3 on back 9 to finish level,

just getting up fed up with greens running poorly and very unrealastic not fussed about the greens being really quick, they just gotta run the same speed every hole

RSS