Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • bunber
    3 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2018 10:08 AM

finn the learn it but now a get more distance to rage

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Wed, Mar 28 2018 6:46 AM

I was given a maths tip recently for champ greens that works. Useful and quick during rounds with other players, divide distance by 1.5 then add or minus elevation +2 feet, allowing for wind helps. A rough guide, tweak for taste.

Does anyone have quick math calcs for other green speeds? The one I use for T greens is a bit compicated to get across during a game with others.

• NALO1210
    186 Posts
    Wed, Mar 28 2018 8:03 AM

Dubfore:

I was given a maths tip recently for champ greens that works. Useful and quick during rounds with other players, divide distance by 1.5 then add or minus elevation +2 feet, allowing for wind helps. A rough guide, tweak for taste.

Does anyone have quick math calcs for other green speeds? The one I use for T greens is a bit compicated to get across during a game with others.

here what i do:

ad or subtract up or down so u get ur distance right

Greenspeed:

Distance multiply with the number behind the greenspeed

for example Greenspeed is 12 and u are 15ft away with 2up

15+2x0,66= 11,22 to hit,,,, i will hit 12 ft

7,9 =0,99

9= 0,87

10=0,795

11=0,73

12=0,66

13=0,62

14=0,55

for me it works fine

cheers Petra

OMG i forgett ad 2ft to ur calc to stay safen and not be to short, because this math brings u right in the hole with no etxtr lenght. adding 2ft is alwas ok because if u miss u have only a short putt to do then

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2018 5:31 AM

Thank you Petra.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2018 1:42 PM

I think you're going to leave a lot of putts short using those factors.

I've found that a 0.75 factor gets you close on 12 greens, and 0.70 on 13 greens,

NALO1210:

Dubfore:

here what i do:

Greenspeed:

7,9 =0,99

9= 0,87

10=0,795

11=0,73

12=0,66

13=0,62

14=0,55

for me it works fine

cheers Petra

OMG i forgett ad 2ft to ur calc to stay safen and not be to short, because this math brings u right in the hole with no etxtr lenght. adding 2ft is alwas ok because if u miss u have only a short putt to do then

• IJACK21
    49 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2018 10:28 PM

I have a very simple way of determining the correct putting distance on any greens no matter what the green speed is.

example: say I have a 15ft putt. I subtract 7 feet which makes it a14.3ft.putt                       I always subtract 7ft. It works ever time.                                                                   Another example: A putt is 16.3 feet. I subtract 7 feet.                                                       It now becomes a 15.6ft putt. (Note: Make sure to adjust for elevation on all putts.)

Now for down hill putts I do the following:

Short down hill putts: I subtract 4ft.                                                                                     Very short down hill putts: I subtract 2ft to 3ft.                                                             

Long down hill putts: I subtract 8ft.                                                                                Very long down hill putts: I subtract 10ft.                                                                     

Hope this helps...IJACK21

IJACK21                           

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Fri, Mar 30 2018 4:10 AM

NALO1210:

here what i do:

Greenspeed:

7,9 =0,99

9= 0,87

10=0,795

11=0,73

12=0,66

13=0,62

14=0,55

for me it works fine

cheers Petra

Great to see someone that obviously scores very well in the game share information.

Folk have to take the bold bit into consideration when questioning the poster's data.

Can I ask if you tend to 'ram' putts ergo allowing less for any given break?

Now,  about factoring in the wind on approaches...

:)

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Fri, Mar 30 2018 5:43 AM

WigerToods2010:
    Now,  about factoring in the wind on approaches...

As with putting, the shorter the distance the lesser the effect (green speed, breeze).

So, for a 6 ft putt no elevation on 13s you'd putt 5.5ft, and expect to roll up to 1,5 ft past the hole if you miss. I putt 6ft, never up never in... For a 10ft putt up 5inches I'll putt 13ft, on 13s. On 7-8s I'll put 18 ft for the same distance. Elevation effects distance differently with lower green speeds over longer distances. For example a 20ft putt up 12inches equals 32ft.I'll putt 25ft both for 13s and 11s. Strange perhaps, but is in accordance with the rules of physics, which I know nothing about. Power/rolling time matrix. The opposite effect for down slope putts: 20ft down 12  inches equals an 8ft putt. I'll hit 4.5 -5ft on 13s, and 6.5 on 11s, but 12 -13ft on 7-8s. You'd be safe with 8ft on 10s.

If you're hitting into the breeze with a large drop in elevation over a long distance then adding a yrd for each mph will leave you short a long way. Instead add 1.5 yrds per mph. Wedges and shorter irons aren't effected by the breeze as much as mid-long irons. In addition the effect of breeze on distance will vary according to the ball you use (more spin=greater effect).

Mike

• NALO1210
    186 Posts
    Fri, Mar 30 2018 7:46 AM

first of all i have to say that a lot of excelent Players share their knowledge for example on Youtube.

Lots of Videos there especialy to calculate the best lenght of ur Putt.

because ur Question of ramming..... normaly i dont exept putts into maybe max. 5-6ft with very low breakes.

to much danger to miss ding a bit and the ball lipout because of the speed.

cheers

Petra

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Fri, Mar 30 2018 2:50 PM

@ Miantiao:

Get what you are saying re hitting more power than you'd expect to. Something I always encourage others to do in-game but constantly fail to do so myself resulting in putts tailing off and finishing below the hole.

Re the wind query: It's more to do with where to place the marker in relation to the wind strength/direction rather than the actual effect on shot distances.

Thanks for the reply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@NALO1210:

Yup, I'm fully aware that videos are available to watch via YouTube.

I was just impressed you'd taken the time to go into detail here on the actual forums regards the exact calcs you use for numerous different green speeds.

RSS