Help › Forums

physics

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 28 2018 9:04 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • timba65
    1 Posts
    Tue, Oct 23 2018 8:11 PM

The physics of the game are just too random.  I can hit the ball 100 times the exact same way and get 100 different results.  Forgiveness and precision ratings seem irrelevant.  How is hitting a 250 yd driver with 20 mph tail winds net a 240 yd drive?  How does12 ft putt strength on a green with 0 fall go 36 ft on any green condition?  On top of that, the sweet spot is far too narrow and missing it by almost nothing gets you an outrageous reaction sometimes and no reaction others.  It makes any kind of consistent play impossible and is extremely infuriating.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 8:48 PM

There are a lot of players shooting in the 50s-60s with this game.  I would try a different ball - the starter ball is the worst of the lot and is not good for precision (or any other attribute).

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 11:25 PM

First what type spin are you using with your driver? The free 0 spin ball can cause you trouble if you use the wrong spin. With a tail wind top spin can cut your drive distance dramatically. Judicious use of back spin can increase distance with the driver with an tail wind. 

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 4:22 AM

My question about your statement: How do you know that your hit the ball exactly the same in those 100 attempts. Even the pros IRL know that they cannot hit exactly the same way every time. Those real life variables are at work in WGT.  Is a ding an exact infinitesimally small spot or a wider area? You might get a "ding" when you have missed the center of the ding line by a micro second or two or eight or twenty. We don't know the entire micro-second width of that line and therefore are unable to tell if we have reproduced the exact same shot as any other dinged shot.

Factor in wind, which is never exactly the same, and spin and you have a real quagmire of variables that make golf so frustrating  in the real world and the virtual world. Otherwise every par 3 hole would result in an ace.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 7:30 AM
    timba65:
      Forgiveness and precision ratings seem irrelevant. 
    there are without a doubt players with more experience than myself, but one thing I read and heard while trying to advance ... is expect variance almost to the point that you play with it in mind! this is really great advice... some people will get so tedious, mapping every single shot, trying to perfect spreadsheet calculations, but variance is built into the game so you need to adjust your "expectations" somewhat and allow for shots to be off a bit sometimes. That said, I would still say 90-95% of the time the game plays very much as expected but if you can allow for it or be aware for those moments that it doesn't and still recover with out making mistakes that lead to bogies... you can still score well...
  • gonfission
    2,227 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 8:57 AM

Best simple advice ^^^

Nothing in the world of physics is constantly repeatable, to exact repetition

Variances shall endure, make due with them, or fight the futility of trying to repeat them

☢------------------<*{{{{{-( 

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 3:56 PM

But here ''should'', because its a math programed software, and you have the data there all the time, this is NOT comparable with real life/golf,...speaking of the starter ball (ball i use)..this ball was created to be avoided (basically), the game becomes more imprecise (wich is not bad), and i at least feel im more playing Golf, because the payout balls are so accurate..sometimes seems you are playing darts... not golf, physics in the game are fine, maybe too much conditionated to how much you pay for, so no, its not a ''fair'' game/site, but if you find a zone where can have fun playing..its a good game

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 4:17 PM

LEDzZzEPP:
    if you find a zone where can have fun playing..its a good game

Perfect.  :-)

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 6:02 PM

Cracks me up when people come here expecting something other than golf.

• Tcushman
    170 Posts
    Sat, Oct 27 2018 4:14 PM

Amazing, isn't it? I learned to love the game at a young age.....also learned how to swear....lol.

But that one good shot kept me coming back for more .

• PAGES
RSS