Wed, Oct 31 2018 12:25 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • woodrush407
    876 Posts
    Sat, Oct 20 2018 12:41 AM

(irons)  club spin of 4.5

ball spin of 3.7

question; how are these related.

does the 3.7 ball spin at center dot  go up when the dot is at full back spin

would you calculate the 3.7 spin at 50% back spin higher than 3.7?

thank you for your help.

woodrush

I still can't putt....LOL

• Next260
    2,194 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2018 1:02 PM

I'm sure there are others who can provide and decode the math involved.

I've found I get the best results when the club and ball spin match.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2018 1:07 PM

You might be reading more into it than there is. Those numbers are simply a way to rate the piece of equipment or ball so you can compare them to each other. The best way is always going to be what works for you.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2018 1:20 PM

The best way to find out how a particular ball behaves, is to take it out on a practice with very low wind. Try it with the spin dot on the center, mid and low end of the ball. Also, try the dot on top side of the ball, then make a note of the yardages. It’s a little work, but it will give you a quick reference.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2018 2:24 PM

^^

This is good advice on how to see how a ball works. The next step is to actually visualize what you want the ball to do when it lands and knowing how spin works goes a long way in controlling that landing. Not everything has to be full spin either, partial spin is what controls the rollout.

• woodrush407
    876 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 4:08 PM

Thank you all for the info on spin.

have fun!

keep it in the short grass!

woodrush

• woodrush407
    876 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 11:11 PM

thank you all for great info!

i will put it to great use!

Have fun!

Keep it in the short grass!

woodrush

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Tue, Oct 23 2018 10:57 AM

And while practicing with little or no wind, try to remember that playing with a headwind or tailwind is going to throw everything you are learning out the window.

If you really want to become the consummate WGT golfer, take lots of notes in a small notebook just like the pros do. Track what happens to balls hit into the wind or with a following wind on each of the holes you play.

Or you could do like I do and just go have fun and try to remember things like carry or roll or where to land drives to get the most distance or have the easiest putts.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Oct 23 2018 1:03 PM

add the two numbers up to get a total.

learn what certain number totals do to your short game wedges and iron distances.

they do change based on the total number that you get. what that is in terms of distance changes i won't say. put in the work.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 23 2018 1:43 PM

Mythanatos:
    what that is in terms of distance changes i won't say. put in the work.

Spoken like a true Legend.  :-)

• PAGES
RSS