Forums

Help › Forums

WGT Ryder Cup 2018

Wed, Dec 12 2018 9:28 PM (381 replies)
  • birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 4:37 AM

Hi everyone and welcome to the 2018 WGT Ryder Cup. Picking up on a tradition that was started many years ago but fell asleep for a while, we once again gather some of WGT’s best players for a (relatively) quick event to determine which side of the Atlantic is home to the best virtual golf players.

Other than in the real world equivalent our US team will be joined by several players from the rest of the world which was necessary to assemble two competitive teams.

I tried to come up with a qualifying method that is as objective as possible: ten spots on each team were reserved for the ten highest ranking players in the yearly earnings list. If someone of the top ten wasn’t interested I went down the list to fill up the team. Those ten players agreed on a captain who chose the remaining five players for each team. 

We will play four rounds: two matchplay even lies, one matchplay uneven lies and one round of alternate shot. All rounds will be played over 18 holes with the possibility of a draw. Since I expect that we’ll face certain difficulties with the different time zones, we will use the weekly 18 hole tournament or the weekly uneven lie tournament in case two players are unable to coordinate their schedules. 

We’ll be trying to stream as many matches as possible and I will compile all dates and links in an Excel sheet. To make it a bit more fun for the community ujjnbjk has generously donated 20k credits for some betting among the users along the way. Everyone can enter their predictions on the score of each round once the lineups are published. The correct score will be rewarded with 5.000 credits. If there are several people with the correct score, I’ll randomly choose a winner out of those.

All scores, dates and names of all players participating can be found in this Excelsheet. 

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 4:56 AM

Looking great !! Good luck all :)

Very much looking forward to the stream !! :) :) 

- Carl

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 5:07 AM

birchi:
    Other than in the real world equivalent our US team will be joined by several players from the rest of the world which was necessary to assemble two competitive teams

This is curious, any particular reason why? That makes this more of an all-star event than a true Ryder Cup.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 5:11 AM

YankeeJim:

birchi:
    Other than in the real world equivalent our US team will be joined by several players from the rest of the world which was necessary to assemble two competitive teams

This is curious, any particular reason why? 

At the cut-off date (09/30) there were exactly 20 European players and 20 players from the rest of the world in the top 40 of the yearly earnings list. A team with only US players (which also suffered from some top players not being able/interested to play) would not have been competitive against Europe's best players imho, so I chose to add the players from the rest of the world to the US team. 

YankeeJim:
    That makes this more of an all-star event than a true Ryder Cup.

Sure, you can quibble over the name, but I deemed a fun and even competition plus the opportunity to get players from all over the world involved more important than copying the Ryder cup format 1:1. It's still a team with a 2/3 US majority, so I guess you can let me get away with this deviation from the real world model :)

• Bowl64
    3,083 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 5:18 AM

Yup, looks good :) Good luck everyone, with a special eye out for KP of course, despite me being from Europe :))

Cheers

Bjorn

• BigKnight
    2,777 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 8:51 AM

Good luck, hope it goes well. Would have loved a chance to compete and make a spot on the team.

:)

• Shankette
    1,562 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 8:55 AM

birchi:

Since I expect that we’ll face certain difficulties with the different time zones, we will use the weekly 18 hole tournament or the weekly uneven lie tournament in case two players are unable to coordinate their schedules. 

That particular tournament was discontinued by WGT well over a year ago.  The only weekly uneven lie tournament hosted by WGT is 9-hole on 14.5 Champ greens.

...just sayin'...

~Ro~

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 9:42 AM

BigKnight:

Good luck, hope it goes well. Would have loved a chance to compete and make a spot on the team.

:)

Haven't heard about the 5 picks for the RoW team yet, maybe you'll still catch a spot.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 9:44 AM

Shankette:
    That particular tournament was discontinued by WGT well over a year ago.  The only weekly uneven lie tournament hosted by WGT is 9-hole on 14.5 Champ greens.

To be honest, I forgot the 18 hole UEL tournament ever existed :) I was talking about the 9 hole of course, I didn't specify because it's the only one available. Ideally all matches get played in a matchplay setting, this is only a safety net.

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Fri, Oct 19 2018 11:18 AM

L00ks g00d Birchi. 

RSS