Forums

Help › Forums

Monthly & Weekly Tournament Payout Totals Are Changing

Sun, Sep 29 2019 12:04 AM (162 replies)
  • fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 11:37 AM

WGTChampion:

To split those into two different kinds of career earnings could be extremely confusing, or to change the rules would make a number of players upset. 

No visible split required. This would be a private, unpublished measure for WGT to use as an extra threshold to help tier players up more accurately. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be an improvement. Some kind of measure to stop players being able to sandbag tiers for years the way they can at the moment is an important step towards improving overall satisfaction.

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 12:01 PM

fmagnets:

WGTChampion:

To split those into two different kinds of career earnings could be extremely confusing, or to change the rules would make a number of players upset. 

No visible split required. This would be a private, unpublished measure for WGT to use as an extra threshold to help tier players up more accurately. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be an improvement. Some kind of measure to stop players being able to sandbag tiers for years the way they can at the moment is an important step towards improving overall satisfaction.

Then a player comes to us and says "My career earnings says X, why I haven't I moved to Y tier!?" and it becomes confusing again. Not trying to knock the idea down, just covering bases. 

_CHAMPION 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 12:12 PM

WGTChampion:
    Essentially it could allow players to move credits around in ways that break our T&C, like using a bunch of multis to pool credits and have a tournament that only the main account plays in. It could also allow a player with permission to set up a single tournament and be the only one who plays in it and then leave the club with everyone's credits. 

Whereas now some CC's do things like set up a pay to enter tournament and encourage players to enter it but not play in it, giving them a "bank" to fund tournaments etc.  Surely an official one would be better. 

I would add that I don't know of anyone doing this to move credits around multiple accounts but I don't see in what way a bank would give more opportunity than there already is.

As to someone robbing the bank; that would surely be up to the CC's themselves to police and I don't imagine you'd make using them compulsory.

Anyway thanks for having the extended debate with the players.

• Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 12:23 PM

cc bank defiantly needed!

be great to have the option to donate credits or even sleeves of balls/items too the bank. 

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 2:06 PM

Since the release of CC Course builders we've seen situations where a player goes rogue (as I call it) and uses as many of them as possible and then leaves the club. Situations like this would be WAY worse if they could use donated credits. 

_CHAMPION 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 2:17 PM

WGTChampion:
    Then a player comes to us and says "My career earnings says X, why I haven't I moved to Y tier!?" and it becomes confusing again. Not trying to knock the idea down, just covering bases. 

They wouldn't/couldn't if, as Mags suggested, it was for your eyes only.  What they would see is what they now see.

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 2:38 PM

DodgyPutter:

WGTChampion:

They wouldn't/couldn't if, as Mags suggested, it was for your eyes only.  What they would see is what they now see.

You guys are too smart for that. I promise you on this. Even if we didn't tell you that career earnings could move a player in tier someone will discover that it exists and then more players will come together to figure out what those numbers are. 

_CHAMPION 

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 3:20 PM

WGTChampion:

This could only happen the other way round - "My career earnings only say X, why I have been moved up to tier Y". If you could be bothered, you would answer "Because you just won Z credits in a blitz having bought them from seller S!!" ;-)

At the moment, there are already behind-the-scenes tier up criteria. Par 3s and par 5s are marked as ranked rounds but don't count toward average, players can tier up from an unspecified number of matchplay wins, regular tiered wins might get you bumped up manually or might not, depending on how on-the-ball the mods are that month. This would just be an extra (and arguably more useful) tool, but one that could be programmed so it wouldn't be wasting manpower.

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 3:50 PM

I don't play for credits except a very occasional 50 cr ul rg, where i can usually get something back owing to the number of wds.

it was only when i hit legend that i looked at the monthly tourney and payouts, 20k, 17.5k and 15k. I then noticed 2 things, 1- the number of entrants at 200 cr came nowhere near what they were paying out, and 2- the same name/s seemed to be rinsing it for month after month.

Anyway, one month i had a look and it was on a course i can sometimes put up a decent score, with a few days to go the top 3 were 58, 59 and 62 and was tempted to enter in the hope i could maybe sneak in to 3rd.

With 2 days left it was still the same and i was ready to go for it, but then noticed that 2 players who were always in the money hadn't entered yet.

So, i waited till the final day and was glad i did, because as i suspected, the leaderboard was now 57, 57 and 58 with these 2 in 1st and 2nd, so i saved myself the 200 cr.

As others have already said, why not link tiers to earnings? This 500 ranked round thing is just playing into the hands of these players, who limit their games to high payout tourneys.

Even taking this on board, if they paid out on, say, top 20 e.g. i would maybe have a try as would perhaps many others. Just my thoughts on a very good thread with many excellent suggestions.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 5:33 PM

fmagnets:

WGTChampion:

This could only happen the other way round - "My career earnings only say X, why I have been moved up to tier Y". If you could be bothered, you would answer "Because you just won Z credits in a blitz having bought them from seller S!!" ;-)

At the moment, there are already behind-the-scenes tier up criteria. Par 3s and par 5s are marked as ranked rounds but don't count toward average, players can tier up from an unspecified number of matchplay wins, regular tiered wins might get you bumped up manually or might not, depending on how on-the-ball the mods are that month. This would just be an extra (and arguably more useful) tool, but one that could be programmed so it wouldn't be wasting manpower.

I like it!

Add a field to the DB Champ called NetEarnings.

NetEarnings = Tournament wins - Tournament Entry fees 

Not sure about ball purchases factoring in.  People could exploit that maybe by buying the most expensive balls -- because they can to artificially lower NetEarnings. 

When NetEarnings > X for each tier

Tier up.

Give me remote access to the WGT development environment and I'll do it for you.  :) 

RSS