Forums

Help › Forums

Tournaments Have become Ridiculously Exclusionary

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 6 2015 7:40 AM (23 replies)
  • giantfan5611
    135 Posts
    Thu, Jul 21 2011 8:35 AM

With scores in the 50's regularly topping the leaderboard every tournament, it's become a waste of time for most players to even bother competing in them!

One of the beautiful things about golf is the fact that it's supposed to be impossible to master.....(a player can win a tourney one week and miss the cut the next) making it a sport where truly anyone has a chance any given week.....except on WGT.

If this game wants to brag about how realistic it is, then where are the high scores on the tough courses in tourney events? When (if ever) has anyone ever made the cut over par ?

If spending money on the best equipment WGT has to offer makes the game that easy....then I'll stick with my crappy standard clubs and balls and just be satisfied playing all the courses in non tournament Match and Stroke Play.

• goldputter3
    89 Posts
    Thu, Jul 21 2011 8:52 AM

Point... someone shoots a 52.. 20 under par, means they made 2 Eagles and 16 Birdies OR better... Hard to believe..  just saying.

Still hacking away and luvin it.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Thu, Jul 21 2011 9:03 AM

giantfan5611:

If spending money on the best equipment WGT has to offer makes the game that easy...

It doesn't make the game that easy....a lot of hours practice learning the various shots needed combined with decent equipment leads to some players becoming exceptional.

Just like all things in life, a small percentage excel at something, most of us are somewhere in the middle and a lesser amount are below average.....

• Dianne81
    773 Posts
    Thu, Jul 21 2011 10:50 AM

giantfan5611:

With scores in the 50's regularly topping the leaderboard every tournament, it's become a waste of time for most players to even bother competing in them!

One of the beautiful things about golf is the fact that it's supposed to be impossible to master.....(a player can win a tourney one week and miss the cut the next) making it a sport where truly anyone has a chance any given week.....except on WGT.

If this game wants to brag about how realistic it is, then where are the high scores on the tough courses in tourney events? When (if ever) has anyone ever made the cut over par ?

If spending money on the best equipment WGT has to offer makes the game that easy....then I'll stick with my crappy standard clubs and balls and just be satisfied playing all the courses in non tournament Match and Stroke Play.

A couple things to be aware of, and its been said many many times.... Those scores you're talking about are with unlimited attempts. You play it enough times, and if you have a good memory ( not me) or take good notes ( I do)  you will know the breaks on the putts, and if  a hole plays a few yards longer or shorter so that next time you can get a little closer, a little closer.   Being allowed to play the course over and over during qualifying in easier conditions is fun, and while it does generate incredibly low cut numbers,  I do think its more fair than allowing only one qualifying attempt and if you hit a bad shot, or tough winds, you get no more chances.

The pros can not play the same course 5 times a days for 15 days straight.   We don't have rain,  divots, or plugged lies to contend with.

SO it will never be exactly apples to apples, but if you look at the actual EVENT where it is not  unlimited play, you will see that even after playing and practicing the course 50times in 2 weeks and knowing all the bumps and  breaks,  no one is shooting low 50s

Low scores isnt the reak issue here, even if they made the course so tough ( and they could) where even par makes the cut, it will still be the same people with natural skill, putting time in and making the cuts in my opinion.

• BenRC
    381 Posts
    Thu, Jul 21 2011 12:27 PM

Why cant people give credit, where credit is due and not minimize the accomplishments of the better players here......

WGT golf will never and I mean never be like real golf, but its pretty darn close....

Many people here go out and play real golf because they want the actual true experience, and they still return here because the virtual game play here is a great experience also, just different....

Getting great equipment here or in RL doesnt ensure great results, but it really helps...I for one will not settle.....

When I was finally able to upgrade my KMart bought clubs to high end clubs, it was like night and day...im serious, the precision was surreal....it didnt get me to the Pro Tour, but it made me love RL golf more...I just wish I could play more, so WGT fills the gap...

I personally do not think there is anything noble or fun in hacking around a course in RL or WGT and taking 9 shots to the green. What can replace the beauty of a perfectly placed approach shot ? A grass burner?

Practice and try to get better, simply put

The fun and beauty of golf is aspiring to be great and even if you fall short, the road there is what its all about....

My hats off to all who try and get better and to all who have made it to the top

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Thu, Jul 21 2011 1:24 PM

The thing that most people on here want is instant success. They've been playing for a couple of months and see the low scores and say "why can't i do that" It does come down to practice and dedication. Most of the top players have been a player on WGT for a few years and put the time and effort to get better. Success never came instantly to them, they worked at it.

I wouldn't say it's the same players that win all the tournaments all the time. You only have to look at the ready go leaderboards to see that. There's plenty of different winners on those.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Thu, Jul 21 2011 1:34 PM

Also keep in mind, the pros have such a myriad of courses to play, there is no way they can memorize all the shots on all the courses they play over the course of a year.  Here, there are only six, and two of those are recent additions, but have been played extensively recently, so the memory of those two is fresh in the player's minds.  The other four, most of the top players have played hundreds or even thousands of times.  Not really that hard to memorize 72 holes, or even 108, which I believe is the total number of stroke play holes at WGT (excluding Cabo).

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Thu, Jul 21 2011 2:12 PM

tournaments  = prizes to be won = 1st place wins them = the very best players will try their hardest to win them and grab the prize.

tbe

• Cybermes
    41 Posts
    Sat, Jul 23 2011 5:46 PM

I'm coming from a golf game I've run away because I was -32 general index.

This is work for GM to manage game difficulty as well as tournament structure to offer to all players a chance to win and avoid ridiculous scores...

I cross fingers :)

• DiscGolfAddict
    106 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 5:11 AM

How about giving the credit where it is REALLY due.... Its called "cheating" ...I know of 2 people that for a fact used software to "help" them have a better game. One of these people reached the ranks of legend with an insane amount of career earnings, the other was in the process of doing the same when either the software itself or something else wiped out his whole system...either way hes been too embaressed by his admission to using cheat software that he rarely even comes back anymore.

I guess my point is I will never pay to lose on purpose, and I'd recommend against others wasting their credits on the same....at least until WGT comes up with a way to "really" police them....but why would they???

After all they are still making THEIR money, so what does it really matter to them?

RSS