Forums

Help › Forums

Do we all agree...

Wed, Jan 30 2019 5:49 PM (57 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2018 11:06 AM

fmagnets:
    It does. Go and take a flat 100ft putt into a 30mph wind on c13 greens, then putt back downwind with the same power. You will notice about 8ft of difference. A 30mph crosswind will move a 15fter about a cup's width.

Thanks Mags... I had noticed wind on my longer misses on RSG and St Ands but haven't been able to quanitify it..

I was considering trying adding maybe 1 foot extra for every 10 feet into the wind and subtracting similar down wind.  Would that be too much?  

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2018 12:10 PM

Try a foot for every 20ft into a 30mph wind, and a foot for every 30ft downwind. And feel free to report back with any improvements that can be made.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2018 12:19 PM

fmagnets:

A 30mph crosswind will move a 15fter about a cup's width.

Good tip, thank you.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2018 5:24 PM

fmagnets:

lonniescott711:

I dont think that the wind effects putts .

It does. Go and take a flat 100ft putt into a 30mph wind on c13 greens, then putt back downwind with the same power. You will notice about 8ft of difference. A 30mph crosswind will move a 15fter about a cup's width.

Are you sure that its because of the wind ? It would seem to me that the putt would be different due to the break and the contours of the green . Changing the line and outcome because of the change in the direction of the putt . Which is why you`re getting different results .

Also we have to take into account the balance forgiveness and precision of the putter as well . Even the club precision tests that other players have done shows that repetitive shots will have varying outcomes and that includes with putters . So what you may have experienced is the different outcomes of those putts .

I found the thread according to Icon " it does but its minimal and only comes into play on long putts with big winds " .  So my practice rounds were not under those conditions . My longest putt was only 17ft. so no wind effects . The thread is titled " Wind affecting putt distance"

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2018 6:03 PM

lonniescott711:
    It would seem to me that the putt would be different due to the break and the contours of the green . Changing the line and outcome because of the change in the direction of the putt . Which is why you`re getting different results .

He specified a flat green.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2018 6:40 PM

lonniescott711:

Are you sure that its because of the wind ?

Yes, but thanks for checking ;-)

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 7:40 AM

gerryniswonger:

That we can play one game and we read the breaks perfectly and most of them go in.  My quandary is this, Immediately after that game we can play another game on the same course and conditions (Our weekly Unlimited is a good example) and almost all the putts miss by a couple inches or even hit the edge of the hole.  I always think, What the hell?

Is there a logical explanation for this?  Or better yet, is there a way to stop this ugly turn of events?  I've tried resetting the page, saving the game and and get out of my browser, and even shut down my computer and restart it.  So far nothing has worked.

Has anyone found a way to change this trend and return to having the putts break correctly.

In a nutshell:  Golf.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 8:36 AM

fmagnets:

Try a foot for every 20ft into a 30mph wind, and a foot for every 30ft downwind. And feel free to report back with any improvements that can be made.

Not sure if this will join the daft questions or is already answered with the crosswind but anyway....

Do you think that the 5% and 3.33% are for all lengths of putts? The likes of Icons comment about it only affecting longer putts may simply be as a difference of 9 or 6 inches on a 15ft putt, for example, isn't enough to have been generally identified. 

I can't see something being programmed to kick in at x feet.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 8:39 AM

DodgyPutter:

fmagnets:

Not sure if this will join the daft questions or is already answered with the crosswind but anyway....

Do you think that the 5% and 3.33% are for all lengths of putts? The likes of Icons comment about it only affecting longer putts may simply be as a difference of 9 or 6 inches on a 15ft putt, for example, isn't enough to have been generally identified. 

I can't see something being programmed to kick in at x feet.

It probably has something to do with the size of the ball and width of the cup. On shorter putts the ball will still drop...on longer putts the wind will move the ball outside of the cup width tolerance so you’ll then have to begin compensating for the wind appropriately.

Someone above questioned Mags' logic...that's like questioning Yoda.  LMFAO

RSS