Forums

Help › Forums

Do we all agree...

Wed, Jan 30 2019 5:49 PM (57 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2018 11:07 AM

To get back to your point, if you haven't given up on the thread...

gerryniswonger:
    Is there a logical explanation for this

I believe so and I don't believe your experience is completely uncommon... I have read others comment on it and I feel I have experienced similar aspects of how the game plays.  But they are personal observations... I feel I have even played enough rounds now that I can almost tell or sense when the round is not going to play normal.  You can see it with your approach shots and when I notice it on the greens... I will even observe what I have called a "ghost trail" or vapor trail even though I don't play vapor trail balls during my putts I felt I hit correctly but end up grazing the edge or breaking off the hole unexpectedly.  When I make a mistake and miss a putt in other situations, I do not observe this same "ghost trail" it only happens during those rounds in which I feel the game is playing differently.

gerryniswonger:
    is there a way to stop this ugly turn of events?

One theory is if it is related to your player profile or VEM like characteristics... you can try loading up a starter ball and playing a round regardless of the score … doing so may seemingly reset your player profile stats or VEM profile and get the game back to playing relatively normal again.  Again, there is no qualitative proof of this... just observations and what I have read suggested by others with more experience than myself.

While I tried to diffuse what was obviously coming in the prior posts... I hope the above gets back on track.  I am not making any definitive claims but merely sharing what I have read about and experienced in my own games.  Others may have different observations.  

• quadrock123
    859 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2018 1:58 PM

I have seen it with my own eyes, that wgt does have a V>E>M> program built in to the game. There is no other way to explain why a person finaly gets good and the some weeks later, their game has changed even tho they play th same way every day.  explain that, if VEM is"t the  reason!

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2018 2:56 PM

ARGH... it got me this time whatever you want to call it...

I played a ready go on Pinehurst and had a good round for me... I should finish top 10 … so I went ahead and gave another RG a shot on St And's 

This time the game played increasingly unpredictable and I have played reasonably well on ST And's under these same conditions... 

however now, things are off... putts don't fall when there isn't a reasonable explanation for them.  like a miss hit or poorly chosen line.  I find it easier to accept my mistakes because I know how to make adjustment for those... but you can't make adjustments for a game that is implementing variance you can't take into account.   I got frustrated enough I decided it wasn't worth wasting ball hits any longer and WD.

I feel it is this type of game play dynamics that frustrates so many... however... if we didn't see it and the better players never experienced it then how would anyone else but the best players in the game win?  Maybe it balances out somewhere, doesn't make it any less frustrating but maybe that is part of the rationale... don't know... 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2018 4:04 PM

As it's been stated over the years, the vem works with you also. If they didn't have it everyone would be beating up on the game. It would be to easy and would get old real fast.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2018 4:18 PM

"you can try loading up a starter ball and playing a round regardless of the score … doing so may seemingly reset your player profile stats or VEM profile and get the game back to playing relatively normal again."

I'll give this a try.  It certainly can't hurt can it?

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2018 4:29 PM

true...

DonCaron:
    the vem works with you also.

I completely agree... there have been a few times, I felt like I couldn't miss unless I tried.  Everything seems to fall into place.  

gerryniswonger:
    I'll give this a try.  It certainly can't hurt can it?

hope it helps... I usually try one round but some have suggested more guess it depends on how bad the bug has got you : )  keep us posted... even if it seems coincidental it can help to know if you felt it made a difference so as to feel better about suggesting it to others. : )

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:29 PM

Do we all agree...

Nope...

Wind affecting putts, I disagree with that too....I don't know about high winds(over 18-19 mph) as I never play them...but I have yet to miss a straight in putt, close or of some distance, because of  a crosswind...I have missed them because I didn't hit them perfectly, but never miss them when I do...

I aim dead center cup and thats where she goes despite any wind! I for one don't believe wind below 19mph affects a putt at all....I putt hole speed + a hair and I am a very good putter, just don't have the steel nerves of the best LOL

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2018 6:00 PM

gerryniswonger:
    you can try loading up a starter ball and playing a round regardless of the score … doing so may seemingly reset your player profile stats or VEM profile and get the game back to playing relatively normal again.

First off sorry about the earlier posts wasnt trying to go off topic . That works to a point but you may have to play a couple of rounds . As you play better and post better scores the game plays harder . But if you are playing poorly then the game backs off and plays easier .

I call it throwing the dog a bone . I used to do it when I was tiering up because it made scoring easier . It also came in handy after tiering up as well , before reaching saturation .

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2018 10:42 AM

Re: wind

IDK if these old tests are still valid w/ all the changes, but at least on these longer putts there was an indication of how the wind acts on the ball during these tests.

It's a good idea to see all the info offered about the wind on these test if you see the info provided by the OP in this thread.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/195080/1357880.aspx#1357880

Like I said, results will vary and things may have been changed w/ later updates.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2018 4:39 PM

lonniescott711:

gerryniswonger:
    you can try loading up a starter ball and playing a round regardless of the score … doing so may seemingly reset your player profile stats or VEM profile and get the game back to playing relatively normal again.

Well,  I've played a few holes with Starter Balls before my last 2 tournaments and in both cases had very decent rounds.  A bit early to say it works but it's promising.

RSS