Help › Forums

Stupid ads

Thu, Jan 17 2019 5:00 AM (45 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2018 1:49 PM

gherkinhead1:
    you also misspelled "ads"

The same "ads" that would be short for advertisements or is your version of "adds"  short for   addvertisements?   

Better call the glass man to fix that broken window in your glass house.  :-D

• Robert1893
    7,647 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2018 2:06 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    LOL Well said, Robert! Maybe people spell "addvertisement" where he's from. :-P

:-)

And more to the point is this: I believe it's silly to expect perfect grammar or spelling on a discussion board. We all mistakes. As long as there's a good faith effort by people, I don't see an issue with a few spelling or grammar mistakes.

With respect to the ads, I'm with you. Bring more ads! Have at it, I say. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2018 2:14 PM

Robert1893:
    I believe it's silly to expect perfect grammar or spelling on a discussion board.

Gotta disagree here, Robert (or should I call you Rob? LOL) To me, letting spelling errors and obvious misprints is a sign of laziness. It's like the writer that's too lazy to capitalize, punctuate and write in paragraphs, they just ramble on in incoherent sentences all jumbled together.

That little red squiggly line under a word means something, investigate and learn.

p.s., A handy little  browser add on that installs an icon in your toolbar that looks like a dictionary--free here. Highlight a word and it tells you not only how to spell it but what it means and the proper context in which to use it.  

FWIW, IMO, the presentation of one's thought is directly qualified by the effort to communicate it properly. :-)

• Robert1893
    7,647 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2018 2:35 PM

YankeeJim:
    To me, letting spelling errors and obvious misprints is a sign of laziness. It's like the writer that's too lazy to capitalize, punctuate and write in paragraphs, they just ramble on in incoherent sentences all jumbled together.  

The problem is that not all obvious spelling or grammar mistakes are a result of laziness. They could simply be typing mistakes, which all make.

And typing mistakes can be a result of a number of items. Here's a decent blog post on one aspect or type of those errors:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=181 

Again, eventually, everyone makes mistakes. Expecting perfection is an unreasonable standard. As I wrote, I just expect a good-faith effort. 

By the way, you have a comma splice. :-) 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2018 4:55 PM

Robert1893:
    The problem is that not all obvious spelling or grammar mistakes are a result of laziness. They could simply be typing mistakes, which all make.

I would agree but the lazy comes from not proofreading what you write and ignoring that red line. It doesn't take much to get it right, you just have to care. :-)

p.s., Semicolon. Call it a typo. LOL  ;-)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2018 6:12 PM

If anyone here wants or feels the need to correct spelling and grammar, just go to any site forum/ message board full of younger members and u will prolly b n h'ven....it's called having better things to do with my time, and saving "data" space(according to them, unless you spell ads with 2 d's of course)...LOL

Anyone still seeing ads, deserves to be seeing them, I for one am "glad"  you are if u have been here more than a couple of months!! I personally have posted the link to the resolution 25 times or more over the years>>>LOL

• drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Tue, Nov 27 2018 4:08 AM

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, " Stupid ads as stupid does ". Anyone not using Adblock must be drinkin' the Kool aid, 'stead of partaking from lifes' box o' chocolates.

Doc :)

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2018 4:21 AM

Few things piss me off more than hitting the post button and realising I made a typo or left a superfluous word in a post that I changed half way through typing.  The red line cannot save you if you misspell a word and it it becomes an entirely different, but still valid, word.

Speaking of ads though, I just saw one while making the turn that was for a gadget that allows you to play WGT with a real club, from the comfort of your own living room.

Just add alcohol and friends for hours of fun and huge repair bills.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Fri, Dec 21 2018 3:05 PM

I get this every game and have to wait 30 seconds. All part of the master plan. What gets me is when a commercial gets down to 5 seconds and jumps to another that lasts another 30-45 seconds. Goodness, great giggly wiggly.

• spaceghost88
    1,621 Posts
    Sun, Dec 23 2018 7:19 PM
    https://filehippo.com/download_maxthon/64220/
RSS