Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Video @ Pebble Beach

Tue, Oct 16 2018 1:23 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2018 2:58 PM

Pebble Beach Full 18, Low Wind, Championship greens, Uneven Lies

Not great putting on the Front 9 but i made up for it on the Back 9 with 4 birdys in a row, I shot a 62, 10 under par

https://youtu.be/R2vAlfMIGuo

Highlights below

Started off with a 14ft birdy on the opening hole, 3 iron off the tee and 8 iron to the green

I got a tap in birdy on the 2nd after a poor eagle putt missed on the low side 

The next birdy came at the 6th, 3 wood, 3 iron to just short of the green, 11yd chip and a tap in birdy

On the 10th i used the slope of the green on my approach shot to set up a 9ft birdy (196yds)

A 6 iron to the 12th set up a 8ft birdy putt which i made

Another birdy followed at the 13th hole, 7 iron to 1ft after using the slope of the green to get it close

The par 5 14th i hit 3 wood, 5 iron, PW tp 10ft and drained the putt for birdy

The approch to the 15th could have been better but i made the 26ft putt to grab another birdy (14ft)

A 6ft birdy came on the 16th after a 3 iron off the tee and a nice 8 iron to the green

I finished off the round with a 3ft birdy putt on the last after missing my eagle try

More videos available to watch

Watch in HD for better viewing pleasure 

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2018 8:24 AM

Marty

I've watched all 3 of your UELs on Youtube and loved them.

I haven't quite figured out if you are using a forumula to determine the( lie vs. distance from the pin) or just because you've played UEL often and are using an educated guess. Which is it? Either or - do you plan on adding other courses?

You always seem to be near the top or on top of the leaderboard of UELs and I just missed the window the other day to play a round with you, maybe next time. Keep knocking them down and in the fairway.

Siders Best

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2018 12:35 PM
    SidersBest:

Marty

I've watched all 3 of your UELs on Youtube and loved them.

I haven't quite figured out if you are using a forumula to determine the( lie vs. distance from the pin) or just because you've played UEL often and are using an educated guess. Which is it? Either or - do you plan on adding other courses?

You always seem to be near the top or on top of the leaderboard of UELs and I just missed the window the other day to play a round with you, maybe next time. Keep knocking them down and in the fairway.

Siders Best

Mostly just a good guess and practicing different options to different pin placements, a bit of thought into adding extra power to be safe/smart, taking notes helps, i have a good idea what the clubs will do from various uneven lies.

There is 19 videos on my YouTube channel, the only course i have not recorded is Congressional, but i am planning on doing it very soon.

Thanks

Here a link to all the videos below

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQq_8EW5YS8-NAf-ccnd1Eg/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Thu, Oct 4 2018 1:53 PM

Thank you, Sir

I'll keep watching, and maybe pick up some tips

Siders Best

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2018 5:56 AM

What about using a protractor or compass and marking down per 50 yards or something like that.

I don't play uneven lies very often, but when I do I think about that

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2018 6:46 AM

I'm lost, aren't those tools to help you play better?

I see some of the better players use calculators, excel spreadsheets, dual PC screens, wind and rough charts, rulers.  

What's the beef about protractors or compasses or knowing if a fairway is flat/tilted right or left.

Isn't it better course management to know these things and take advantage of them?

Siders Best

PS: Hey, Marty are you holding out on me;)

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2018 10:09 AM

It was just a thought SB. If you can determine the angle with the distance, you can get the adjustment.

I'm a retired carpenter, can't you tell. Try doing a stairway door. lol

Don

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2018 2:05 PM
    SidersBest:

I'm lost, aren't those tools to help you play better?

I see some of the better players use calculators, excel spreadsheets, dual PC screens, wind and rough charts, rulers.  

What's the beef about protractors or compasses or knowing if a fairway is flat/tilted right or left.

Isn't it better course management to know these things and take advantage of them?

Siders Best

PS: Hey, Marty are you holding out on me;)

funny enough, im not holding out on you, practice and you will know what to do, theres no other way to figure it out, once you know how to hit the green, 2 putt par you can then adjust you game to go after easy pins, some holes pars are golden just like in real life, not too many options to flag hunt on every hole
  • el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2018 10:16 AM

I have seen and heard that there is stuff out there for uneven lies to help adjust for the various angles on the fairways.  It was never sufficiently explained to me and I never found it to be helpful, but I have heard others did.  I do better just trying to make reasonable guesstimations.

Similar to some of the methods used to calculate the break of putts, I believe some players out there have roughly calculated the yardage offset or adjustments to be made based on the "dot flow rate" with uneven lies... for sidehill and uphill/downhill directions.... but once you change your aim point the dot speeds and angles also tend to change so you can find yourself trying to figure out a new adjustment. 

Because of that it can be extremely tedious, so the best UEL tend to play along the lines of what Marty is describing by minimizing errors, flag hunting when possible, and accepting par at times.  I have also seen a few players videos where they shoot nearly as well if not as well on UEL as they play on regular setups.  Sometimes you can just get a lot of favorable lies though and you feel very fortunate.

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2018 10:27 PM
    If you know all the “Garden Spots”, and can hit them, UEL becomes a regular round of golf. That’s why players can shoot great scores in UEL because they take the UELs out of the game.
  • PAGES
RSS