Forums

Help › Forums

Tiger Woods haters just had it forcefully and permanently stuck in their craw

Tue, Apr 16 2019 12:44 PM (77 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:23 AM

DAZZA501:
    Nice to see Tiger playing well again. I'm not so sure it's the greatest sporting come back of all time though. He just had a bad back.

+1

If people think it's the greatest, then they really lack a sense of history. Besides Hogan, there's the Rocky Bleier story. Now, that's a comeback! 

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:29 AM

Robert1893:

gherkinhead1:
    Even the Australian media are reporting it's the biggest sporting comeback of all time.

Are the Australian media some sort of bellwether that we should take special notice of how they report something?  

I think the point being made from Oz is that the news of Tiger's win reverberated around the sporting world. Believe it or not there really is life outside the US.

Well done, Tiger, I say.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:49 AM

WigerToods2010:
    Believe it or not there really is life outside the US.

Ummm... framing it as "even the Australian media" actually suggests they live on the outskirts rather than being incorporated within the global environment.

In other words, I'm not surprised the Australian media is discussing it because they're as incorporated into world events as much as anyone else. So, your barb, clever though it be, remains misdirected. 

And, as an aside, I teach both international relations and comparative politics. I'm quite aware of the world outside the US. 

If one were to want to make the point that the win reverberated around the world, one might want to pick a country that (a) is not a first world county, and (b) doesn't possess a strong tie to the sport. 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:55 AM

YankeeJim:

Luckystar5:
    One win is not what I would call a comeback! Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn, as the saying goes! Now is it something to talk about, I'll give you that much, but tiger still quivers when he sees a 5 iron, get over that feeling, and then it's a comeback, :^)

The whole season was his comeback, today was just a culmination of his hard work.He quite successfully got over any quivering and demonstrated that this past 4 days. This is a monumental achievement for him given what he had to go through to get back.

Look past the tabloid fodder of his past and appreciate how far he has come. His respect for the game and the people is obvious this time around, he's matured. 

This is even a greater plus for the game of golf AND fans of the game that have moved past his past. Witness the incredible stampede on the 18th fairway today, following him just to get a glimpse of greatness.

Tiger's back and the roars are, too. Good for him and good for golf.

Agree Jim -- well said.

I'd imagine Tiger cares what his peers and family think of him a heck of a lot more than randoms everywhere.  All the players's he played with & against all week, and whom he beat all waited to congratulate him after the 18th.  Speaks volumes IMO.

Well done Tiger, congrats on the comeback.  

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 10:20 AM
    If you read the original posting, the OP stated that it was all about his kids, was always about his kids, hearing the roar at 18th green, etc. Then he made the statement that it was the biggest comeback in all of sports history. He said nothing about tigers abilities, or achievements. All he talked about was an ego trip for tiger, and his kids! I never said anything that even resembled belittling anything that he had achieved in his past. I stated that one win doesn't constitute a comeback, let alone the greatest ever, does it play a part in a comeback? Well like I said, only time will tell. As far as an ego trip goes, I wonder how it feels to have been removed as the nike spokesman, replaced by kapernack, and he has to pay 10s of thousands of dollars to get a woman in bed with him, yes a great big ego trip! As far as all the players that congratulated him, yes it spoke volumes, that is to all the other players, true gentlemen.
  • WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 10:26 AM

Robert1893:
    And, as an aside, I teach both international relations and comparative politics. I'm quite aware of the world outside the US. 

Oh I know you do, Robert. You come across as quite the intellect. Personally, I just feel you let yourself down from time to time with the trolling attempts that's all.

Have a nice day y'all...  wherever you are.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 10:33 AM

@WigerToods2010 

Thanks, I appreciate it! 

And you're most likely correct as well. 

• pjctas0822
    4,550 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 10:40 AM

Robert1893:

YankeeJim:
    And how exactly does that fit in or apply to the effort he's made to move on, not to mention the success he had in doing it? 

Wasn't suggesting it did. Just making an observation that his moral failings were "better than most." :-) 

What can one say that hasn't been said by others? The man excels at all that he does! 

Sin is Sin my brother big or little small or great. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 10:40 AM

It was Tiger's own hubris that led to his downfall, his arrogance that led to his misdoings... he seemed to believe he was above it all and took what he wanted and thought he could get away with.

If anything, it was the fact that he finally appeared to show some humility recognizing the fall that followed from his actions.  The physical and psychological tole it had on him led to his decline.  It doesn't matter how it get's reported there are always going to be a variety of impressions regarding him.  He has made great strides, but he was/is simply too talented and gifted to not expect him to eventually get there.

Whether his shortcomings are ever fully forgiven or cast a shadow on him personally, it is hard to say, but his skill on the course is very difficult to dispute.  

His peers admire his accomplishments but they also appreciate the impact it has had on their own financial growth as well.  Tiger did in fact play a major role in bringing large amounts of money into the game and they are now almost always playing for million dollar purses every week... of course they value Tiger because they know what and how it benefits them as well.  

Of course Jack and Arnie and many others would have had the same if not more of an impact if they had been surrounded by the "marketing" and "economical influence" during their era... many other factors also played a role in allowing Tiger to be the catalyst including growing money and endorsements in sports as a whole, the economy, corporate interests, etc...

It may have even led to the growth of online games for all we know... Afterall, rumor is some people even take up video golf and pay what amounts to $10 for a sleeve of 3 limited used golf balls.  Someone has to making something off of that as well.  Shoot a couple guys even earned a trip to Atlanta to play heads up!  Amazing huh?

Somehow, I think the game is doing pretty good and love him or hate him... Tiger is definitely in the discussion as playing a role in that.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 10:43 AM

pjctas0822:
    Sin is Sin my brother big or little small or great. 

This isn't really the place to get into a discussion on theology, but that really isn't true. That's just bad theology. 

As one of my OT professors once said, "If David is a man after God's own heart, then there's hope for me!" 

RSS