Forums

Help › Forums

Recommend First Club Purchases?

Mon, Oct 1 2018 2:52 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 1:19 PM

I see from your stats that you are doing fine with the starter putter, however, you may want to try the Daytona Rossa @ level 55. It all depends on your putting style ( ding or miss ding ). I'd wait for a free rental weekend & take 'er out for a spin. I'm a miss ding guy myself  ( except on the tougher breaks ) & while my putting ain't the greatest the Rossa has served me well.

Doc :)

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2018 9:52 AM

drmoose:

I see from your stats that you are doing fine with the starter putter, however, you may want to try the Daytona Rossa @ level 55. It all depends on your putting style ( ding or miss ding ). I'd wait for a free rental weekend & take 'er out for a spin. I'm a miss ding guy myself  ( except on the tougher breaks ) & while my putting ain't the greatest the Rossa has served me well.

I've had this debate in other threads on this forum, but for my money, the L55 Daytona is the single best value in the entire pro shop (in terms of "strokes gained per credits spent").

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Wed, Sep 26 2018 3:58 AM

flatstick96:
    I've had this debate in other threads on this forum, but for my money, the L55 Daytona is the single best value in the entire pro shop (in terms of "strokes gained per credits spent").

Shhhhh ! If WGT gets wind of this they'll jack the price, or pull it like they did with the Snake Eye wedges & level 43/Legend Callies.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Wed, Sep 26 2018 5:12 AM

drmoose:

flatstick96:

Shhhhh ! If WGT gets wind of this they'll jack the price, or pull it like they did with the Snake Eye wedges & level 43/Legend Callies.

There is no question that the Level 55 Daytona @ 725 credits is the best value in the entire pro shop.  I carried that putter until I was mid-90s level as I finally found a desire for easier math with a 10/20 putter scale vs. the 15/30 scale of the Daytona.  I've also read about the Level 70 Versa in here but that's 2495 credits...no comparison when it comes to value.

Before they retired them, I'd have to say the Ping Rapture Full Club Set was "The Best Value" in the Pro Shop.  If memory serves me well, I believe that entire set was only 2495 credits and they became available to purchase somewhere around the Late 40s to mid-50s level.  I bought that set for my brother and he was excited to see the starter balls backing up on his approach shots.  He was better than me then until I bit and bought the Level 85 Nike Vapor Irons which were another great value purchase.

In today's game, with the XP glitch, I'd say be patient before purchasing anything before the mid-40s level.  At that point buy a decent driver, wedges, and wait until level 55 for the Daytona.  I was able to make Legend with pretty much starter clubs and starter balls and advanced to Level 85 when I purchased those Nike Vapor Irons.  At that point I waited until somewhere in the early 90s levels to get a better driver and 3 wood.  I'd have to go to the Pro Shop to even see what clubs are available now that rivaled what I used to grow in the game.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Wed, Sep 26 2018 6:51 AM

If you search the Equipment forum there are tons of other threads on this topic.

• CosmicDreams
    45 Posts
    Sun, Sep 30 2018 11:25 PM

Just thought I'd post a brief update, with results of the upgraded gear.  The LVL55  M1 Driver has been excellent!  The 4.5 meter over the 3.5 meter of the LVL48 R1 makes a HUGE difference -- especially when using starter balls.

For the 3-wood, I probably splurged a little here, and got the LVL41 TaylorMade R15.  Besides a somewhat quick meter, it's been great.  High trajectory & forgiveness.  Was a serviceable driving club until I got the driver at LVL55, plus it matches it identically -- satisfying my OCD needs.  ;-)

The PING G25 irons are nice, though it's taking a bit to get used to just a slightly quicker meter than the starter irons.  I'm sure these will be great with better balls (more on that later).

For wedges, I went with the MAX spin wedges.  The 5.0 spin, allowing me to backspin the starter balls, has been a game changer, though I can tell already that these will have too much spin with better balls.  The meter is a bit quick on these though, and I'll need to upgrade these at some point, as I'll need a 100 yard wedge pretty soon.  I'm thinking the LVL66-68 Callaway Mack Daddy's will be a good intermediary set before the end-game sets.

For the putter, the Daytona has been a slight improvement over the starter putter, though, like the G25's, I can tell this will improve significantly with slower meter balls.  Miss-ding putting has been a bit of an adjustment from the starter putter though.  For a moderate breaking 10-15 footer, I'd only need to allow maybe half an inch or so away from the ding.  With the Daytona, it seems I need to allow at least a full inch -- if not more.  May try the LVL70 Odyssey Versa at some point, as I've heard good things about it.

Lastly, a little rant about balls.  The starter balls are terrible!  I briefly tried out the LVL13 Srixon's, and my game instantly improved immensely.  The gripe I have here though, is why are balls so expensive, and why do they need to have durability? 

In real life, I can use the same ball for a game once a week for a few years.  The only time a ball can be damaged to the point of being unusable, are driving range balls that have been hit countless times for years on end.

In this game, you play 3-5 rounds, and your precious ball disappears into oblivion.  The balls should last forever, so long as they're not hit out of bounds or in the water.  Then, it would sense that you should lose them. 

Obviously though, this means less money for WGT, as balls are ultimately their long-term cash cow. 

Other than that gripe, the game has been great so far.  Definitely the most realistic golf game I've ever played, and seems a lot better than The Golf Club series, with the real clubs & courses and all.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2018 2:03 PM

As you discovered, custom clubs need custom balls, unless you have marvellous reactions.

That said, these custom balls appear to be the "bread and butter" of WGT, a constant source of income. I don't look at the individual ball disappearing due to loss or wear - I rather see them as an entry fee to the "payed" game. Good thing is, each player can adjust this fee in regard of his needs, from Zero up!

An unexpensive ball to try is the Tour-SD. A nine hole round with these should cost around 7 cr only!

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2018 2:52 PM

If you can handle the meter, the 65 credit Tour-SD is a good ball for the money.

• PAGES
RSS