Forums

Help › Forums

Recommend First Club Purchases?

Mon, Oct 1 2018 2:52 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CosmicDreams
    45 Posts
    Fri, Sep 21 2018 1:02 AM

Hey guys, how's it going?  Fairly new player here (3 weeks), looking to take the plunge & finally upgrade my equipment.  I'm LVL 44 right now, and have been grinding it out with the starter clubs til now, and looking to get some mid range clubs (like LVL 40-60 range) to take me until the LVL 80+ end-game sets.

Driver:

Taylormade R1 TP 9.0

Irons:

So far, my eye is on either the MAX Meter LVL 47 set, or is it better to hold off until the Ping G25 LVL 59 set?  The MAX Meter's have better precision, and same meter speed as the start set, but the Ping's have higher trajectory for more spin -- but have to wait another 15 LVLs. 

Most importantly, though it's probably fine at Pro tier, the 210 3-iron distance is better than the 200 on the MAX's.  Any other set recommendations welcome.

3-Wood:

I'm thinking pretty much anything 230 yards should work here, not too important.

Wedges:

No clue here :-)   Probably 3rd priority after Driver & Irons, or should they be more important than the irons?

Putter:

Probably the last priority, as I'm doing fine with the starter putter.  Would like to know what are the better options here for down the road.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Sep 21 2018 10:03 AM

You'll hit from further back soon, as a Master - check out what you need then!

Wedges are my priority!

This is due to the fact that the Starter wedges are utter crap. Get two short ATV of L39, or the 64° ATV plus a Ping Gorge for better results around the greens!
    Later, a first class long wedge below the (then) PW.

Irons:

The L59 G25 are almost inevitable because they are the first with high trajectory.
    Any clubs before are intermediates - can you wait until 88,000 XPs?

Driver, 3WD:

Not so important. You may bridge the time until Master tier with a 3WD only, using it as a driver surrogate. Worked like a charm here!

Putter:

Best bang for the buck is the L55 Daytona, but the Starter ain't too bad.

Many players swear on the L70 Versa - make your choice!

• CosmicDreams
    45 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2018 8:35 PM

Thanks for the advice!  Yeah, I'm thinking wedges will probably be my first purchase.  Are the ATV's really 60% better than the PINGs?  495-295 credits is a pretty big difference.

The ATV's have .5 more forgiveness & .5 more spin, which might be useful using starter balls.  Thinking maybe the TM 50 yards, and the PING 75 & 100 yard wedges should do.

For Driver, might try and hold off until the LVL 55 Taylormade M1 unlocks.  Identical stats to the LVL48 R1, but 4.5 meter vs 3.5.

Are the MAX Spin wedges at LVL 50/51/52 good value?

On a completely unrelated note, anyone know how my forum name & profile page became named "Cosmich0ke" ?  Lol.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2018 7:32 AM

I don't know the Gorges, but the ATV are good quality.

CosmicDreams:
    Thinking maybe the TM 50 yards, and the PING 75 & 100 yard wedges should do.
    To be thrifty, you might start with TM 50 yds + Ping 75 yds. The 100 yds needs a longer PW, and you'd want a better one later.

I have no knowledge of the Max wedges.

Concerning Driver, you might want to wait until Master tier. Consider a 3WD instead...

BTW: cosmich0ke is only the profile handle (limited to 10 characters).

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2018 1:20 PM
    your getting some good advice already, alot of personal taste when it comes to club selection... that being said, if you were disciplined enough to grind out for now with the starter clubs... you might consider getting on the mobile platform and renting one of the sets available on there to help buy you a little more time to some of those clubs in the mid 50's level and the ping irongs at L59, which is what I did. moving up levels can go rather quickly and you can play what some call XP rounds that help you earn more but it involves playing a custom course first. so, check out the coin rental sets in the meantime they should help you and still buy you time until you get to the desired level to buy clubs... mobile platform if you didn't already know or discover can also allow you to do 2 credit videos slowly and gradually to build up a bankroll to help buy those clubs you are looking at...
  • k5ntonsm1th
    34 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2018 1:40 PM

Iv had the L52 64 deg 60yrd Max wedge the longest out of all my clubs. The extra spin on it really helps around the green and from rough, especially if like me you use cheaper low spin balls, (i used 10c balls and free ones up until legend,then srixons).  I tried the 75yrd version to for a while but found it not as good, harder to control that 5 dot spin.

• CosmicDreams
    45 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2018 6:45 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.  Yeah, that's was my thinking with the MAX wedges.  They have identical stats to the ATV wedges, but 5.0 spin to 3.0. Since I'm still using starter balls, and will probably be using cheap balls for awhile until my skill level improves, that extra spin will be very helpful.  On top of that, I'll get the 10% rental discount on those, since I'm approaching the levels to unlock them.

Any recommendations for a good 3-wood?  I'm thinking something 230+ yards with high trajectory stop on long approach shots will do.  The LVL41 TaylorMade r15 looks like far & away best 3-wood for at least 20+ levels.

• Bowl64
    3,083 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 5:53 AM

Putter advice:The Taylor Made Spider putter L35 must be the biggest steal of all clubs. I`ve had "all" of them incl the PING`s, the Rossa and so on, recently went back to the TM Spider L35  (sold my Versa L70)  and don`t regret it for one second :)))

Bjorn

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:03 AM

CosmicDreams:

Thanks for the advice!  Yeah, I'm thinking wedges will probably be my first purchase.  Are the ATV's really 60% better than the PINGs?  495-295 credits is a pretty big difference.

The ATV's have .5 more forgiveness & .5 more spin, which might be useful using starter balls.  Thinking maybe the TM 50 yards, and the PING 75 & 100 yard wedges should do.

For Driver, might try and hold off until the LVL 55 Taylormade M1 unlocks.  Identical stats to the LVL48 R1, but 4.5 meter vs 3.5.

Are the MAX Spin wedges at LVL 50/51/52 good value?

On a completely unrelated note, anyone know how my forum name & profile page became named "Cosmich0ke" ?  Lol.

Those Gorge wedges are the best wedge value in the pro shop, but they don't offer the correct distances for you to use those to cover all three wedges, so you're best off mixing and matching the gorge with the ATV to get your preferred "spread".  When I was at that level, I opted for the 75 and 95 yard gorge, married with the 50 yard ATV.  That spread also worked well when I eventually got to the L59 irons (which shortest club is rated at 115).  Also, for the love of all that is holy, learn how to proficiently punch your wedges, to cover the distances in between.  FWIW, I played those wedges until I was in the L90's.  

I played the L48 driver and it was great, but if I was doing it over again I'd wait for the slower meter of the L55.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:08 AM

I tried to edit my post to include my 3W opinion, but it doesn't seem to be showing up:

Re: 3W, I played the L30 TM until I upgraded in the L80's; I didn't waste credits on middling fairway woods in between.  Until you get to the legend tier, there isn't much use for anything more expensive than the L30 (which is absolutely dirt cheap).

• PAGES
RSS