Forums

Help › Forums

challenge stroke play

Mon, Sep 24 2018 3:20 PM (5 replies)
  • sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Thu, Sep 20 2018 10:29 PM

I asked before but it appears there seems to be no progress nor at least an explanation as to why we don't have challenge stroke play games? seems to me like an opportunity for WGT to earn a few more bucks as not everyone likes the match and skins games currently available in challenge mode. ... so adding the "challenge" feature to stroke play games sure would cost them nothing and there would be the possibility of added revenues ... mind you, a stroke play round would need to go the full 9 or 18 holes where most of the matches might end a couple of holes early,- so less usage on the balls too?

Just a thought

Sky

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Fri, Sep 21 2018 9:15 AM

sky0diver:
    - so less usage on the balls too?

You just answered your own question, less usage on the ball means less revenue for WGT. Or did you mean that a 9 hole or 18 hole round would mean that the strokes per round would increase?

Siders Best

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2018 5:18 PM

SidersBest:

sky0diver:
    - so less usage on the balls too?

You just answered your own question, less usage on the ball means less revenue for WGT. Or did you mean that a 9 hole or 18 hole round would mean that the strokes per round would increase?

Siders Best

I think he is saying a 9-hole match play game could end after 5 holes while stroke play would require all holes to be played.  

• sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 12:45 AM

correct. more than likely, stroke play games would go the full 9 or 19 holes (unless someone would fall badly behind obviously and forfeit). So there is no disadvantage in my opinion for WGT to open the stroke play game to the challenge mode as well ...

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 6:44 AM

Two ways to consider:

1. Stroke play, more holes, more ball usage

2. Match play, fewer holes, quicker result, more matches

Either way should result in same ball usage in that players allow a certain amount of time for play. If someone plays 1 hour @ 1 stroke per minute, it doesn't matter if that stroke is in match play or stroke play. 

Only caveat is that in match play putts can be conceded while in stroke they can't. Thus in match play there can be more ball strikes that take from ball life per hour than in stoke play.

Obviously solo play allows for the most ball strikes per hour while group play means 1,2, or 3 players are idle while each ball strike occurs. 

From a ball usage stand point, multi-player games cost the WGT.

• sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 3:20 PM

... putts do not count against the ball strikes, so the ball usage won't be affected this way ... you can play the best of putting sweeps for the next 10 years with the very same ball for example as it won't wear down putting ...

RSS