Forums

Help › Forums

Wedges Cleveland 588 (L74+) or TM ATV (L86+)

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 1 2019 5:14 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Martino991
    15 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2018 11:26 AM

I'm thinking about upgrading my wedges.

Currently I have Cleveland 588s 56/60/64 degrees (L27/29/31) and I'm not sure which way to turn. My irons are Ping G25 (L59) but I intend to upgrade these to Callaway Rogues (L85) when I get the opportunity.

I would be really grateful for any feedback or thoughts on the higher level 588s or ATVs. 

Many thanks 

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2018 3:09 PM

Martino991:
    I would be really grateful for any feedback or thoughts on the higher level 588s or ATVs. 

They are both great sets of wedges...

But as you already use the Cleves, may as well stick with the yardages you know.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Sep 20 2018 7:08 AM

I prefer 50 yds as the shortest wedge - more meter power, better performance on short shots.

OTOH, you should have a good look what fits below the PW of those new irons. It's 115 yds just like the G25s.

Take into account the punch length of the Pings - the others may be similar - and work out a nice and equal spacing from PW down to 50 / 41 (or 60 / x) yds.

It's a bonus that many wedges share the same meter speed ;)

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Sep 20 2018 8:31 AM

You`re in position now to get the top 3 Cleveland wedges . Before the Mac Daddy wedges the Clevelands were the top wedges in the game . All of the top players had them and the majority of them still do . Once you get those there is no need to ever upgrade your wedges again . Then once you get to the top level irons they will fit in perfectly and its smooth sailing from then on .

I`ve upgraded my last three top sets of clubs from driver to irons . But my wedges are still the same . Get the top Clevelands you wont be sorry that you did .

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Sep 20 2018 1:15 PM

Both good sets of wedges. You will have people argue the merits of both.

I like the cleveland's better but that's just me. whatever you use be sure to stick with them and learn them inside and out. Especially the 64 degree wedge.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Sep 21 2018 10:50 AM

good input by all... my thought would be regarding availability of credits... if credits are an issue and you are weighing options... and you are comfortable with your current wedges playability... then I think focusing on the L85 irons will likely enhance your game a bit more...

then when we approach or have another free trial day... you can sample the various wedges at the same time and compare them and see which you like better...

both sets are good but they will play slightly differently.  I eventually wanted to try and keep my meter speeds as close together as possible to help timing but players obviously have worked around that with their wedges so it depends on the person.  However, those that play the Cleveland wedges, tend to prefer the irons with faster meter speeds anyway whereas I have always played slower meter speed irons.  

It does seem to make a small difference because every time I tested a driver with a faster meter speed my timing was off and my accuracy dropped off a bit.  

you can pretty much build a bag around any set of clubs... but personally I try to keep as many meter speeds as close to my primary clubs/ or scoring clubs as possible.  just my preference...  others may choose other options.  

• EK2019
    36 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2019 11:09 AM

I have the 588 Clevlends and tried a free rental of the Ping Tour W's which are much cheaper and I find they have way more backspin even though the 588 Cleveland's are supposed to have more? Does anybody know why that would be? The Ping Tour W's are also much cheaper also... I was almost thinking about buying the Ping Tour W's to have anyhow but cannot figure out why they seem to backspin more than the Cleveland's.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

EK2019

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2019 2:31 PM

EK2019:

I have the 588 Clevlends and tried a free rental of the Ping Tour W's which are much cheaper and I find they have way more backspin even though the 588 Cleveland's are supposed to have more? Does anybody know why that would be? The Ping Tour W's are also much cheaper also... I was almost thinking about buying the Ping Tour W's to have anyhow but cannot figure out why they seem to backspin more than the Cleveland's.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

EK2019

It depends on the level of the clubs . The higher the levels the better they perform . The high end Clevelands were for years the top end wedges in the game . Then came the Mac Daddy wedges which came up somewhat short . For many top players and older players we still hold on to and use the high end cleves still .

In fact if you get the L76 78 and 80 Cleveland wedges they will be the last wedges you will need . The lower end 588s that you have dont have half the spin as the higher end ones do . So dont let that fool you . Just keep playing and get the higher end 3 when you can . 

• kanebrandon
    1 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2019 8:03 PM

so cool

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2019 10:55 PM

el3n1:
    you can pretty much build a bag around any set of clubs... but personally I try to keep as many meter speeds as close to my primary clubs/ or scoring clubs as possible.  just my preference...  others may choose other options.  

This is what I have done, also.  I have enough trouble hitting the ding with slower meters and mixing speeds makes it more difficult to get the right feel - like muscle memory.

• PAGES
RSS