Forums

Help › Forums

Eliminate wedges on greens

Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:27 AM (141 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 5:15 PM

HOLGAR1:

To Mbarrettwcc- I 100% agree with your observation, the WGT game is too easy and definitely not realistic in the respects to which you refer.  But you have to realize that they do have to make money and incentivize the purchase of expensive superspin clubs and balls which make such cartoonish shots possible.

This can largely be avoided if you play uneven lies (this is all I play anymore).  With the uneven lies it is much more difficult and in some cases impossible to make the shots you speak of, which in many cases have the appearance of throwing a bean bag at the pin.  Plus hardly anyone plays uneven lies (presumably it is too intellectually rigorous and difficult) so your chances of success in the WGT sponsored tournaments is dramatically increased.

A level 77 Master using mainly starter equipment finds this game too easy?...oi vey

• TallPaul65
    10 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2018 8:51 AM

if you find it to easy, stop using expensive clubs and balls, that tend to make it easy. go back to a starter ball, then its not as easy as you believe it to be. why complain when you made the choice to use equipment that makes it that easy. using a starter ball is a whole new game. try it, its not as easy as you think. 

as far as a wedge on the green goes, it pisses me off too. you eliminate 95% of the break on the green surface by using a wedge. it takes all the challenge out of it, at least 95% of it. same as the expensive equipment will do. long distances are 2x the distance with slight adjustment for wind and elevation, 3 to 4x for short distances. go to the putting green and drop the ball, change putter to wedge, and you will see the practice mode give you the recommended distance. try it for fun.

so  go ahead and do like most who only want to win and use expensive equipment and wedges on the green. take all the fun out then complain about it. your in control of your experience here.

its not cheating if it is in the parameters of the rules of play. however it is a unfair advantage to those who don't deploy those methods. 

I mean no offense to any one, this is just a reply and opinion.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2018 9:43 AM

TallPaul65:
    however it is a unfair advantage to those who don't deploy those methods. 

No, it is not an unfair advantage. 

It would be unfair only if the other player was prevented in some way from using the method. If a person can use the method but chooses not to do so, then there is no equity issue. The person chose not to use a method that was available to him or her. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2018 10:38 AM

The touring pros evaluate each situation very carefully, and keep in mind that they have only one goal in mind,    winning!!!!  They are not only playing for the fame, trophys, around a million dollars, but also their families livelyhood.  That's alot to go after, whereas we are playing for fun and entertainment , hopefully.  Our human nature drives to play, same as the pros do, to win.  Pros like mickleson, dimarco, they don't wedge shots on from the green, just so you have something to talk about, they make those shots to win.  So do we!  Wgt, offers up better equipment,  for what, to make the game easier.  You aquire that equipment to win, right? So what's the difference if you have the best clubs and balls available,  or if you use a variety of different shots, to your advantage? Op, complained that you can't putt from the fairway, is that any different than wedge shots from the green?  

• TallPaul65
    10 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2018 11:24 AM

Robert1893:
    No, it is not an unfair advantage. 

It would be unfair only if the other player was prevented in some way from using the method. If a person can use the method but chooses not to do so, then there is no equity issue. The person chose not to use a method that was available to him or her. 

I understand your point. however, I have canceled match play matches and alt shot when the situation dictated a slaughter and have witnessed others doing the same. but you are right also, everyone has the same tools at their disposal and wgt has done a good job to try and present a fair for all platform. ignorance concerning your equipment is no excuse. if you feel uncomfortable with a game because of your inexperience compared to your opponent then cancel or bow out. 

thank you for your point of view

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2018 1:03 PM

TallPaul65:

I understand your point. however, I have canceled match play matches and alt shot when the situation dictated a slaughter and have witnessed others doing the same. but you are right also, everyone has the same tools at their disposal and wgt has done a good job to try and present a fair for all platform. ignorance concerning your equipment is no excuse. if you feel uncomfortable with a game because of your inexperience compared to your opponent then cancel or bow out. 

thank you for your point of view

Fair enough. 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2018 1:20 PM

without reading all the replies.

but being that i know you a tad from sharing a club for a while,

I was given the numbers well over a year ago and added my own little thing to it that now seems to be out of the bag completely. I knew it would be once i shared it with members of club.

I am very good at using a wedge on the green. but that being said i probably only use it once every 50-60 holes. There are a few tiebreaks on mobile that it's a nice shot to have in the bag.  And yes i've holed out just about all the putting  tiebreaks multiple times with a wedge. (not the long one on chambers. i find it easier to hit the putter closer)

I'll adjust if they take it away. there is just a few circumstances where i will use the wedge on the green.  length really isn't it so much as strong crossbreak across a hill. if i can avoid that i will. 

as long as it's possible in the game tho i will use the method. up to WGT to take it away. not any one person's opinion.

and just fyi you can putt from fairway. i've done it and holed a few shots from the fairway.

granted it's one particular hole that i will do it on but still. it can be done.

-Myth

• Mbarrettwcc
    81 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2018 3:21 PM

I really can't believe all the fervor over this post! I read these replies in large part and just laugh, as

the point

goes

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

over most

heads.

Geez..... I am not a moron, people! I made a simple and very true point that players -- on an increasingly frequent basis - are bypassing more difficult putts (100 and 150 ft meters, decent slope, etc) in favor of a full swing wedge. If you know the formula it is a simple shot because the distance is exact, slope becomes meaningless, and you drop it in there without fear of 3 putting. The meter band on 100 and 150 foot meters is very wide and it is tricky to get distance right.

My point isn't that the shot is illegal -- it isn't - just that it unrealistic in 99% of the uses, it is WAY harder to execute IRL than the game makes it, and it violates the spirit of the game.

Make no mistake -- I DO IT TOO!!!! I do it because I can, but it still feels like cheating, and I still think it should be abolished. That is my opinion, but it is based on the fact that the shot is becoming utilized with greater frequency every day in situations where you'd never dream of it on a real green.

That is it. Disagree all you want, but it is my opinion.

Bye.

• thesupernova
    7,331 Posts
    Tue, Aug 28 2018 5:12 PM

HOLGAR1:
    To Mbarrettwcc- I 100% agree with your observation, the WGT game is too easy and definitely not realistic in the respects to which you refer.  But you have to realize that they do have to make money and incentivize the purchase of expensive superspin clubs and balls which make such cartoonish shots possible.

When I read this post ,I expected a seasoned  top player to make those assessments,

NOT a  3 year player mired in mediocrity .

You must set the bar very low for excellence 

Oh my

LOL

Thanks for the laugh.

:)

Allie

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2018 8:39 AM

Mbarrettwcc:

I really can't believe all the fervor over this post! I read these replies in large part and just laugh, as

the point

goes

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

over most

heads.

Ummm, that would be a "no."

Simply because people disagreed with you does not mean the point was lost upon them or went over their heads. 

RSS