Totally agree with OP.

Its frowned upon in civilized company.

But when do WGT/TG ever listen anyway.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 2:39 PM

gherkinhead1:

lol

your 30 year old photo of some girl is ridiculous.

Your stats have no credence

also,  you have become a LEGEND in 18 months.

Case closed

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 3:02 PM

ladyfromdallas:
    Pitching chipping and the flop are very hard for me.(Of course i am not good at it ) Cannot get the hang of it at all. I do agree with using wedge on the green and it should not be allowed. After all it is called a putting green. I say learn to putt !!!

It's only referred to a putting green, in the practice area, and that's only for safety purposes.  Out on the course, it's referred to only as the green. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 3:16 PM

Robert1893:

gherkinhead1:

lol

your 30 year old photo of some girl is ridiculous.

Your stats have no credence

also,  you have become a LEGEND in 18 months.

Case closed

It means that somebody couldn't do it, therefore nobody else should be able to,   lol     

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 3:22 PM

Luckystar5:

It means that somebody couldn't do it, therefore nobody else should be able to,   lol     

👍

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 5:14 PM

Regardless of a person's choice between putter or wedge, that fact remains that it is not against the rules to use a wedge on the green.

ct

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 8:00 PM

RyjaTybas:
    But when do WGT/TG ever listen anyway.
    Many would chastise them for illicit limitation of playing by the rules - Phil Mickelson does it!

RyjaTybas:
    Its frowned upon in civilized company.
    You might want to tell us what exactly is wrong about it - I recognise playing by the rules and doing no harm.Or perhaps you have some proof of punishment for any breaches? Any DQ against Phil would certainly be in the news!

No offence intended, but I call your stance anticipatory obedience to self-imposed limitations.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sat, Aug 25 2018 9:27 PM

It all boils  down to simply this,  someone got beat, by someone who used a wedge on the green, and they're  pissed.    Now they are screaming foul!!! They need to just suck it up! 

As far as the cheating aspect goes, those that forfeit,  politely or not, are the cheaters.  They cheated their opponents out of their time, probably a win, and a loss on hits on their golf balls. They also cheated themselves out of their self respect!  

• Mbarrettwcc
    81 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 6:06 AM

Yeah, this went just about as I expected it to go, which is why I typically avoid the public forums... It is filled mostly with sycophantic WGT apologists and people without the mental nuance to discern drizzle from a hurricane, simply because both make you wet.

To the clown (EDITED) accusing me of being a fake, I am probably one of the only people on here who has met multiple other players in person. My picture is recent and I didn't become a legend in 18 months, it more like 6. I am a also a 6' tall female who once played to single digit handicap and I hit it out there with most guys. I am sorry you are at level 104 and are still a Master, but your fear of intelligent women won't help you there.

To the rest of the people who replied with idiotic comments that completely missed my point, please take note:

1 - YES, I know any club can be hit anywhere.

2 - YES, I know Phil once flopped a wedge on a green under extenuating circumstances. Rickie Fowler did it recently as well. 

3 - The above shots were in the spirit of the game and done from necessity. They weren't hit for any other reason. They are also clear exceptions to the rule.

4 - The full wedge on greens in WGT is abused. It isn't even debatable. Who in golf would elect to pitch or attempt to flop a ball from 80 feet away on a green with a clear run to the hole and no severe breaks? And if they did, it certainly wouldn't be easy. Heck, most golfers wouldn't do it from a fairway! It is absurd and if you can't comprehend or accept the ludicrousness of the shot, then may God have mercy on your brain. It clearly violates the spirit of the game and the shot itself. 

5 - It is used because it is easier to judge longer distances with a wedge than it is with a putter, especially on slick greens with break, end of story. And because of that, the integrity of the game is violated, as a putt would be the play in golf. When you intentionally violate the integrity of the game, that is a form of cheating.

WGT could care less about anything but money, so I know nothing will be done. They can't even fix the missing pins on mobile games, as they are too worried about adding new ball effects and other ways to take your money. I know it won't change, but it had to be addressed.

What made me post this was a guy who hit a wedge on a green from about 20 feet and holed on the first quick check release. I am not even sure what shot was used, but it was a wedge. It was a left to right, side hill putt, with maybe 2 feet of break. Very hard to make the putt, but he knew how to hit that exact distance with whatever wedge shot he perfected, and he nailed it. I couldn't believe what I saw.  It was a situation where you'd never ever see anything but a putter considered. But, he played the odds. If that is what this game is about to come to, where holing wedges on greens is easier than putting, then I think it is safe to say there is a problem looming.

RSS