Forums

Help › Forums

Eliminate wedges on greens

Wed, Oct 3 2018 5:27 AM (141 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sat, Sep 8 2018 5:25 PM

headhacker:
    As far as WGT is concerned, if they showed other players live, like a MMORPG, we may see others on the shared green.

LOL - don't give WGT programmers any ideas!

• santa084
    114 Posts
    Mon, Sep 24 2018 11:49 PM

Just a question. With all the rules golf has. Why wouldn't it be illegal to anything but a putter on the green. You expect to putt on a fairly smooth surface and not worry about a chunk of grass missing.

• headhacker
    98 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2018 8:57 AM

Because there are legitimate situations where you simply CAN'T use a putter to get the ball close, which is by design on the green. Take a look at the below example, where there is a bunker in the middle of the green. This is not unusual, we have a few like this in Southeastern PA as well.

Phil Mickelson on a Par 3 - Does what appears a full swing with a wedge - WITHOUT PENALTY - on the green. Twitter is one place you can see this ... no account required. This shot was not only legal, it was required and he apparently practiced it earlier and knocked it to 5 feet or less.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/833030384392691712/video/1

Interestingly enough, in the entire Rules of Golf, no mention is made of the types of clubs that are to be used. More specifically, the word Wedge or Putter does not appear anywhere.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2018 9:51 AM

santa084:
    Why wouldn't it be illegal to anything but a putter on the green. You expect [...]

See the USGA rules FAQ

I'm afraid that your expectations are irrelevant (no offence intended).

• TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2018 11:35 AM

headhacker:
    Southeastern PA

Yo !  How ya doin ?  lol

Philly ?

I'm 3 or 4 miles away from Whitemarsh Valley CC, and about 10 miles from Merion.

This is irrelevant to the topic.

Then again, a month long, 13 page thread debating the use of something deemed legal by the rules of golf is irrelevant,  so what the heck.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2018 2:00 PM

Ok Here goes

pmm711:

Last I heard this is WGT golf and NOT the f-ing PGA Tour.  And even if it was the PGA Tour I can use ANY CLUB on the green...even the putter.  

So, in terms of golf etiquette/rules, I have not violatied any rule if I choose to never use a putter on any green.  Just think of the PGA Tour professional who first decided to put a 5 foot putter in his bag and levered it off of his chest.  I’m sure he heard, “WTF are you doing” but he wasn’t breaking any rules. 

BOTTOM LINE: Use the tools you know, and learned how to use best, in order to finish the round in less strokes than your opponent.

Thankyou Paul. That just about says it all. As a non golfer, my understanding of the finer points was limited. I'd gone almost 40 years thinking the whole point of the game was to get the ball in the hole ASAP and with less shots than your opponent.

I thought that might apply here too, ha ha silly me!

It seems that if you do, then a level of suspicion will build untill someone puts your name up as a cheat and then, well it's up to you to prove yourself otherwise. I have huge respect for those at the top, Mr Mags, Y46 and the others, true dedication.
    A dedication I don't have. I do have a lofted putter though. It's not something I do in matchplay, stroke or other formats. It's a question of respect. It's legal but some people work up a lather over these things.

Fresh out of the shower one Sunday morn, in a 3 ball stroke play match, using one of the many chat / voice apps that some of these very important "club owners" insist us riff raff now use,  I felt my large breakfast finish digesting and decide it needed more room. I didn't think it would be a problem, so leaning casually to one side what should have happened without any fuss or bother suddenly , on a damp leather office chair, sounded like a 50 cal. on full auto opening up in a large, empty warehouse! The game was finished, one quit in disgust, he had fired his shot into the trees about 6ft to his right, just as I let rip. The other guy timed out, he was crying and in pain.
    I haven't seen such a evil deed mentioned in the rules, I'm just assuming it's not considered in the spirit.

Using something other than a putter though, has advantages. Merion for example, notorious greens with unreadable breaks. Remove them, eyebrows raise to new heights when Big Bertha appears, *WHOOOOOSH* and straight as an arrow, in it goes! A nasty 6 footer dispatched with the same club that's hit over 300yds. That's flexible.

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/

]

More can be admired HERE

However you want to do it, and with whatever bit of ironmongery you feel will work, keep knocking those balls into the holes and if somebody does it differently to you, admire their technique and show a bit of respect. (Even if you're sure their caddy distracted you and your opponent kicked it).

Happy Hittin'

Rich

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2018 2:34 PM

whooshdangit:
    I haven't seen such a evil deed mentioned in the rules, I'm just assuming it's not considered in the spirit.

lmao... 

whooshdangit:
    More can be admired HERE

was curious what had this thread still going.. : )   couldn't figure it out at first then tried what I felt was the trick to it all... now I might have to map out the driver for the greens LOL.  

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2018 2:57 PM

GOOD LUCK! 

It takes a fair bit of practice, but as you start getting closer then even closer still, it can become mildly addictive/obsessive. The satisfaction of sinking one though is huge LOL.

While break can be removed, don't forget that vast yardage can be added to a putt! Best done with a steady hand

Cheers!

Rich

• headhacker
    98 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2018 5:53 PM

Thanks Rich, after watching the YouTube vids I just may do a CTTH Putting with the driver and see what happens. I'm down to 12 feet on a regular basis and getting a tad bored. Once I get some practice we'll have a CTTH Putting w/ Driver contest ; )

Oh, as a corollary contest we'll do par 5s with the putter only. 

I'm actually in Delaware but come up near Merion area once a week. I'll be going down Ardmore Ave around 7:00 PM Wednesday for our bible fellowship. Might beep as I go by.

I'm done w/ IRL golf for this year, Cornhole/bag toss is my game for near future. If you want to throw a few let me know. Have boards will travel.

Cheers - off to putting w/ a driver to see what happens ... 

• TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Tue, Sep 25 2018 6:36 PM

headhacker:
    Cheers - off to putting w/ a driver to see what happens ..

Let me know how that goes.

As for me,  I am practicing a creation of mine that I call "BassAckwards Golf. Presently It is for play on the par 3 Courses.

A putter only is used off the Tee.

On the Greens, no putter allowed.  The 2 approved Clubs are the Full wedge, and a Driver used as a putter. You can mix the options if you need more than 1 stroke to putt the ball in the hole

RSS