Forums

Help › Forums

bracket tournaments

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 24 2018 6:43 AM (4 replies)
  • nels1953
    6 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2018 4:14 PM

I scored in the 2nd section of a recent bracket a 37, and my competitor also scored a 37. He was chosen for the third round and I was not. My issue was in the 1st section of the tournament he won his section with a 40 giving him a total of 77 for the bracket. I won my section with a score of 37 giving me a total of 74. In my local Men's club in a tournament where a tie exists and there is no playoff availability the person with the lowest score advances. I guess at WGT it is an arbitrary decision which is neither a USGA plolicy or an R&A policy.

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2018 8:47 AM

Check out our section about ties in our FAQ here: http://www.wgt.com/help.aspx#ties

_CHAMPION 

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2018 1:25 PM

nels1953:
    I scored in the 2nd section of a recent bracket a 37, and my competitor also scored a 37. He was chosen for the third round and I was not.
    So he won the scorecard tie-break of that round.

nels1953:
    My issue was in the 1st section of the tournament he won his section with a 40 giving him a total of 77 for the bracket. I won my section with a score of 37 giving me a total of 74
    The respective scores of the first rounds do not count in the second round - they are then null and void!

• nels1953
    6 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2018 4:08 PM

In the event of a tie, the better scoring entrant between or among the tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final nine (9) holes of the Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final six (6) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final three (3) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest score for the 18th hole (9th for nine hole games) in such Game, and any remaining ties will be determined by identifying the lowest scoring entrant for each individual game hole, in sequence from 17th (8th for nine hole games) through to 1st, as is necessary to determine a winner, and if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry.

This is the direction by champion and according to USGA rules this is no way to determine ties. So I guess WGT does not care about USGA rules as also can be seen in the lack of ability to pick your own stroke and distance shot after losing a ball or to claim an unplayable lie

• SCMatt33
    8 Posts
    Fri, Aug 24 2018 6:43 AM
    nels1953:
    So I guess WGT does not care about USGA rules as also can be seen in the lack of ability to pick your own stroke and distance shot after losing a ball or to claim an unplayable lie
    Well they are following USGA rules on lost balls since you don't have a distance option on those (hence why most people play a provisional if they think it might be lost). I also don't get too worked up about not having an unplayable option since in the game, there's really not a scenario in which I'd rather take the unplayable since you can advance the ball 50 yards with a wedge from any lie I've ever had. The only time I can think of that I'd complain is on hazards where there's water or something guarding the green and I'd rather back up to a full wedge distance
RSS