Forums

Help › Forums

Are camera angles different between putters?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 7 2018 3:36 PM (6 replies)
  • SlimStoney
    10 Posts
    Tue, Aug 21 2018 9:43 PM

I just free-rented the L70 Versa and the viewing angles seemed way off (compared to my starter putter, which I love).  The viewing angles seemed significantly lower to the green, making it much harder to read breaks; this was especially true of the hole-to-ball "reverse" angle (which is my go-to angle).  Additionally, some of the head-on angles seemed skewed to the left or right, causing me to miss two super easy putts through 9 holes.

Am I crazy?  Or do viewing angles differ between putters?  Did I just get unlucky with where my ball was on the green?

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2018 9:23 AM

I think you must have been unlucky.  I've had loads of putters and have never noticed a difference in the view with them.

There are many, many different putter cameras.  Try playing with your starter putter and getting the ball to a specific spot on a green, then going back with your Versa and putting about until you get exactly the same spot.  The putts needed to get right where you want to be won't wear your ball out.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2018 9:24 AM

We don't judge you! ;)

SlimStoney:
    Or do viewing angles differ between putters?  Did I just get unlucky with where my ball was on the green?

I can offer not much help because I don't change putters much. All I know is that view differences between putters haven't been a subject in these forums, thus most probably they aren't an issue.

View angles have been a subject in special places (and particularily on KIA), but only horizontally - you might not get a view from straight behind your putting line if there ain't no photograph (e.g. close to water). Vertical, no.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2018 9:38 AM

another downfall of this specific program...

the putt view & avatar angles are often skewed and cause a parallax, often discussed in this forum, causing an inconsistent read on an approach (where the wind indicator is misleading) and the breaks on a putt are often misconstrued.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2018 12:13 PM

SlimStoney:

I just free-rented the L70 Versa and the viewing angles seemed way off (compared to my starter putter, which I love).  The viewing angles seemed significantly lower to the green, making it much harder to read breaks; this was especially true of the hole-to-ball "reverse" angle (which is my go-to angle).  Additionally, some of the head-on angles seemed skewed to the left or right, causing me to miss two super easy putts through 9 holes.

Am I crazy?  Or do viewing angles differ between putters?  Did I just get unlucky with where my ball was on the green?

Were you playing Kiawah, by any chance?  the camera angles there almost universally suck balls.  I never owned it, but many people speak very highly of that putter.

• SlimStoney
    10 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2018 12:28 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I was indeed playing on Kiawah, and I had the same things happen to me in subsequent rounds.  So annoying. The putts were reading in different directions, too, based on the viewing angle.

• futtocks12345
    29 Posts
    Wed, Nov 7 2018 3:36 PM

viewing angle changes - no, none.

Odyssey Versa #1 Black Putter (L70+).  Love it, I highly recommend it.

After going thru levels all the way up to 70 with the wgt starter putter, the Versa L70+ is a dream compared to that. (tried the TM Spider L35 but found it awful for my style of play).

The starter putter is very consistent on length / distance but does scatter left to right a lot.

eg see "wgt putter comparison, accuracy and precision" www.wgt.com/forums/t/559073.aspx

(the detail for that came from a massively long post chain called Putter precision tests - Now with irons!  ...    www.wgt.com/forums/t/195080.aspx   )

RSS