Forums

Help › Forums

The Alt-Shot World Challenge

Thu, Oct 17 2019 10:11 PM (632 replies)
  • AlaskanDame
    18,876 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 7:05 PM
    Question, Topper and/or Committee: Since the time for playing a round normally spans more than 1 week, which weekly should be played if the alternative route is needed? Whatever is agreed to by the 4? Or . . . .

Thanks.
    AKD
  • RANGER1988
    1,058 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 7:25 PM

As long as all 4 players agree on which one to play it’s fine, but we cannot have 2 play this week and then 2 play a different course next week, I’m pretty sure that’s how YJ has it laid out!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 5:19 AM

RANGER1988:
    As long as all 4 players agree on which one to play it’s fine

Conveniently, Ranger has all of the rounds ending on a Thursday. This should make it fairly easy to determine which weekly should be played if you need that option--it should be the one that is up in the week where the round changes on Thursday. Oddly enough, they're all the even weeks.

Round #2: Chambers Bay (B9) Due date 10/25/2018 ----------WEEK 44

Round #3: St. Andrews (F9) Due date 11/8/2018 ----------------WEEK 46                   

Round #4: Pebble Beach (B9) Due date 11/22/2018------------WEEK  48

Round #5: Pinehurst (F9) Due date: 12/6/2018-------------------WEEK 50

Round #6: Beth Page Black (B9) Due date: 12/20/2018--------WEEK 52

Semi-finals: Kiawah (Full 18) Due date: 1/10/2019 --------------WEEK 2

Final Championship: Merion (Full 18) Due date: 1/24/2019----WEEK 4

I suspect as the tournament progresses this option will be used less and less and we sure don't want the winner doing anything less than an actual AS round. At least I wouldn't.  :-)

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 11:49 AM

RANGER1988:
    I cannot with good conscience allow an exception to what we have had to deal with already, so with that being said, I will not be allowing Sin to sub in for Vab. 

COURT ADJOURNED...

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 12:27 PM

RANGER1988:
    Out of no dis-respect to Simon at all, as well as no other player in this Tournament, I cannot with good conscience allow an exception to what we have had to deal with already, so with that being said, I will not be allowing Sin to sub in for Vab. 

Out of no disrespect to you Topper as I realize undertaking such a project like this demands a boatload of time and patience...and I greatly appreciate everything you've done to try to get this going.  Kudos out to you for the shear effort and desire of even wanting to run this show. 

But the substitution of a "Suspended Player" deserves to be addressed as it not only Fs up the Winner's Bracket, but the Loser's Bracket as well.  The "default" just ripples through and teams get to advance without play or merit.  That is in no way fair to any of the teams entered in the tournament...especially when there is a "replacement" avail. 

To not see the need for an "exception" in this case demonstrates neither you, nor the appointed committee, has the practical knowledge, experience, or expertise to even run a tournament such as this one.  Again, Kudos out to you for the shear effort and desire of even wanting to run this show. 

But, the prior substitutions you've had to deal with in this tourney in no way compare to the "extenuating circumstance" of V's WGT suspension.  To compare them and treat them equally is simply ludicrous.

Since V was "suspended by WGT" maybe you should have given Simon the respect and opportunity to provide the names of 3 alternatives and allow the committee to vote on one of them so he can play as he intended to do...wouldn't that be a better way to handle this and keep the integrity of the brackets vs. just DQ-ing his "team"? 

Again...no disrespect to YOU...but the process has way too many flaws in it.  One suggestion for the future would be for teams to also designate an "alternative" player or 2 when the teams are submitted.  This way matches actually get played and teams advance honestly. 

If you can "in good conscience" deny Simon to submit an alternative player for a "WGT suspended player" then I can in "good conscience"  submit the following about this so-called "Alt-Shot" tournament...again out of no disrespect to you personally...

AND...don't worry...this is my last post concerning what I consider to be a "sham"...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 12:51 PM

pmm711:
    AND...don't worry...this is my last post concerning what I consider to be a "sham"...

Let's hope so. Good thing nobody cares what you think.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 1:05 PM

YankeeJim:

pmm711:

Let's hope so. Good thing nobody cares what you think.

Agreed.

It's a shame.  Paul did a nice job commentating the VUSA.  Too bad the same thing couldn't happen here. 

• Bombur
    755 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 1:13 PM
    Hi Ranger, although we have sent friendship to the opposing team and written in their wall, we still have no answer. Nono alone, while grumps accepted the friendship, his other partner not even that, what can we do? Bombur
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 1:14 PM

What get me is:

birchi:

I was talking to Peter and he said he wasn't okay with me subbing in Sin which I'm fine with.

• The player who it affects is ok with it, but for some reason unknown to normal people, someone else has a bug up their XXX about it.  Weird. 
    • Furthermore, this is attempt #1 at an alt shot tourney.  Very much doubt any other tourney with as many people went off without a hitch the 1st time.  4 people is obviously more difficult to manage than any other format.
    • So yeah, perhaps bug-in-the-XXX boy could relax a little bit.  All we have is hope, that the statement about it being the last post is actually true and another bug doesn't fly up there. 

• Gepetto1958
    4,204 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 2:25 PM
    DATE COURSE/EVENT HOLES TIER SCORE 10.17.18 Wk 42 9-hole Single Play Back 9 Legend 29 DATE COURSE/EVENT HOLES TIER SCORE 10.17.18 Wk 42 9-hole Single Play Back 9 Tour Legend 30 Gerry785 and Gepetto1958 took the alternative route as suggested by our opponent Skccvb edit: very sorry for paragraphs, grrr WGt
RSS